Ben o | Vital Football

Ben o

The Poacher

Vital Squad Member
With 3 journalists all saying the same thing is that benny will leave today for Sheffield, according to reports yesterday this transfer will be confirmed as a done deal. Figures of between 3 million and 3 1/2 million is not that much although I take into account that he has 1 year of contract left. Grown up discussion please as I am at a loss that we are letting go of one of our own for such a paltry sum.

For me, the fee mooted is very reasonable. He’s essentially a utility player who has made no position his own and I have my doubts that he’s PL standard. Purely my opinion of course.

As an aside, unless Wilder is the next Clough or Ferguson, Sheff Utd appear to be preparing for life back in the Championship 12 months from now judging by their transfer business so far.

Look at it from another angle. Would you pay £3.5m to loan him for a year?

We have no choice and this is a situation many players/clubs find themselves in.

He is out of contract in 12 months, he has been targetted by them before and we get a tidy sum £3.5m plus add ons.

Ben was offered a contract extension, he did not want to engage and has the opportunity to play in EPL at a club which will mean he won't even need to move house & he gets a nice big payrise.

He could leave for free, so best wishes to Benny and for me, this is about as good as it could be for NFFC!

Year left on his contract, not a bad price to be honest, perhaps the reason the club are cashing in on him is because Osborn wants to leave, and has no intention of signing a contract extension with us.

Better to see some shillings for him, than see him walk for nothing when his contract has expired, good luck to the lad, we get a decent fee for a player that only has a year left.

Osborn clearly doesn't want to be here. And we've got decent money for him. Not arsed either way. Least i won't have to read about his interfering dad willing him on to leave. Bunch of sheep shaggers.

No longer a key first team player for us. Our slim promotion prospects would be helped by his presence but will not hinge on it.

Right move for him.

Not the player I most enjoy watching so from an entertainment point of view it makes little difference. His presence in the team coincides with four really bad years and he has become for many a symbol of those poor years, even though he is faultless. Time for him to move on

If he was shown zero interest in extending his contract then getting £3m+ for him is decent money, considering he's not exactly a first team player.

As mentioned above, it seems Sheff U are building a squad to gain automatic promotion in the 2020/21 Championship rather than survival this season in the Prem. If it works it's not a bad plan, very risky though if you spunk all your Premiership cash on Champ players and don't bounce back up.

Have to sell or lose him for nothing, it's not a bad sum that hopefully gets reinvested in a striker. He's a utility player hopefully we have enough round pegs to not miss him, good luck to him.

Consensus from nearly all of the above comments show a good move for NFFC to cash in on him.
My take, not withstanding all of the above posts is (as it stands at the moment,) can we afford to lose his versatility in different positions on the pitch?

4m I'd have been happy with, 3m feels like we've been skanked a bit tbh.

Who are Sheff U gonna find as versitile, committed, injury-free & already settled in the area for that amount? No one.

Benny fits into Wilders ethos, teams setup, and ticks every box for them. We should play hard ball for at least 4m. It could be the difference between them staying up & going down, and they'll know that.

4m I'd have been happy with, 3m feels like we've been skanked a bit tbh.

Who are Sheff U gonna find as versitile, committed, injury-free & already settled in the area for that amount? No one.

Benny fits into Wilders ethos, teams setup, and ticks every box for them. We should play hard ball for at least 4m. It could be the difference between them staying up & going down, and they'll know that.
£3m, £4m... It's all peanuts in today's market so surely makes no difference.

Much more valuable potentially is the sell on %. The lower the fee, the higher the likely profit and therefore the higher the value of our % of it

As soon as he puts on a shirt with the PL arm badge his value is double what we sold him for.

We could easily get far more than the £3m fee from the sell on and he wouldn't even need to do that well

£3m, £4m... It's all peanuts in today's market so surely makes no difference.

Much more valuable potentially is the sell on %. The lower the fee, the higher the likely profit and therefore the higher the value of our % of it

As soon as he puts on a shirt with the PL arm badge his value is double what we sold him for.

We could easily get far more than the £3m fee from the sell on and he wouldn't even need to do that well

Good point Pope. £3m + addons I'd be happy with.

Largely agree with the above: decent move for Ben, reasonable fee in the context of his contract situation (without knowing add-on details it's hard to make an accurate call).

We're undoubtedly a weaker squad but he's not irreplaceable - whether we manage to is another story....

He was our longest serving player - I think that mantle now goes to Tyler walker if I’m not mistaken?

Nice bloke but not a game changer. hes had a key role in our team for four years during which time his "influence" has left us where? Thats right. Where we started! Lets try a different tack.