Ben o | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ben o

Nice bloke but not a game changer. hes had a key role in our team for four years during which time his "influence" has left us where? Thats right. Where we started! Lets try a different tack.

I said a few days ago that for some fans Osborn has become symbolic of a period of deterioration and failure; this post kind of proves it.

He broke in to the side around the time Psycho was manager, after which point we went through several years of decline. He was pretty much the one constant in the team over that period whilst several managers and a shed load of players came and went.

My opinion on Osborn is that whilst he isn't the best player in the team individually, we have generally looked a better team when he's in it.

Still, he's going and best of luck to him. Most important thing for us now is how the money is re-invested.

I said a few days ago that for some fans Osborn has become symbolic of a period of deterioration and failure; this post kind of proves it.

He broke in to the side around the time Psycho was manager, after which point we went through several years of decline. He was pretty much the one constant in the team over that period whilst several managers and a shed load of players came and went.

My opinion on Osborn is that whilst he isn't the best player in the team individually, we have generally looked a better team when he's in it.

Still, he's going and best of luck to him. Most important thing for us now is how the money is re-invested.
Bang on

His first game was Ipswich away after Bill had left and Brazil was in charge and our playoff campaign was collapsing.

That must have been 2014. Last year's 9th was by a mile the high point since then, and he has played the vast majority of the games. It's not wonder really.

I think there is also a point to make though about last season. It was a real opportunity for Ben to compete with much better players and rise to a higher level. I remember Lampard doing so at Chelsea, as a top level example.

In reality though, Ben didn't progress last season. He didn't rise, he stayed the same and consequently lost his permenent starting berth

I think you'll find that's more to do with our club being a complete fooking basket case joke of a club than anything to do with Osborn.

He's had the doubtful pleasure of playing in a lousy team with a mixture of managers, he's filled in every position he's been asked to, and he gives 100% every time, and he may not be a star but he's not bad either.
Be interesting to see how he goes with his new club. I hope he's a great success.

Think his first season may be a struggle, but in the next 2-4 years he'll really flourish under Wilder.

He's had to work under too many managers employing too many different styles here. Given some time under the setup at Sheff U and he'll find himself & push on.

Will always be limited phsyically, but Wilders smart enough to compensate for that with other players & his setup.

He'll do fairly well I'm sure.

One thing I was thinking about earlier is how many players have we had that the majority of fans think are shit go on to play in the Premier League?

Morgan, Osborn, Perch, Louis-Jean, McGoldrick (now) to name but a few.

But here we are, season after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, after season, being absolute puerile dog shit year in year out, year in, year out, year in, year out, year in, year out etc etc.

I guess it's not really the players, is it?

The club is completely rotten to the core. It doesn't matter what players are here. We will always fail. Do you think that even if we had someone like Wolves starting 11 coached by Guardiola that they would get promoted here?

I'm not so sure actually.

The club has been absolutely toxic since the Wray, Scholar etc takeover when the greedy, selfish shareholders sold the club down the river in the late 90s and very little has changed since then and I don't really now what will change it.

Marinakis seems to have positive ideas off the pitch but if he doesn't have consistent ideas with regards to whatever is happening on the pitch, then he will end up losing interest very quickly and everything once again will turn to shit.

Last edited:
His first game was Ipswich away after Bill had left and Brazil was in charge and our playoff campaign was collapsing.

That must have been 2014. Last year's 9th was by a mile the high point since then, and he has played the vast majority of the games. It's not wonder really.

I think there is also a point to make though about last season. It was a real opportunity for Ben to compete with much better players and rise to a higher level. I remember Lampard doing so at Chelsea, as a top level example.

In reality though, Ben didn't progress last season. He didn't rise, he stayed the same and consequently lost his permenent starting berth

That's a pretty fair appraisal imo.

The only real downside here is that he came though the acadamy & as fans we seem to want acadamy products to be succesful just a little more than the average player you've bought from elsewhere (& that's not just a Forest, it's a football wide theme).

We seem to feel more of an affinity to players you've developed, even when they're from Derby. It'll be sad to see another Forest graduate leave, but I'm sure many of us will watch him play for Sheffield United with a liitle pride this coming season.

thing is...can we afford to turn it down?

he has 1 year left and I have no doubt that if we kept him he would still give his all, but we would lose him for nothing

yesterday I saw rangers sell candeias(who was one of their best players last season) go for 250k!

3million isnt great, but if it goes towards a new striker then could be perfect timing

would people be happy if the 3-4million went towards funding colback on a permanent deal?

thing is...can we afford to turn it down?

he has 1 year left and I have no doubt that if we kept him he would still give his all, but we would lose him for nothing

yesterday I saw rangers sell candeias(who was one of their best players last season) go for 250k!

3million isnt great, but if it goes towards a new striker then could be perfect timing

would people be happy if the 3-4million went towards funding colback on a permanent deal?

This whole thing seems to be dictated by the fact that he wants to go. His loyalty to the club has never been in question, if it's left to the end of a further season then he'll go for nothing and his current transfer price has just been quoted at 5 million quid so there's just no point in prolonging the transfer.
It doesn't alter the fact that we badly need a player who knows where the opposition net is. And that's my biggest worry.

In fairness, I think his loyalty to the club very much is in question and that is why he is being sold. There is a reason why he is in the last year of his contract.

That's football though

In fairness, I think his loyalty to the club very much is in question and that is why he is being sold. There is a reason why he is in the last year of his contract.

That's football though

To be honest, I’m not sure Osborn has the love for the club people might think. He did arrive aged 8 but he was a derby fan and you won’t find that many interviews where he talks about his affiliation with forest unlike someone like Worrall or Yates, who’ve been there as long.

Not for a minute questioning his attitude or work rate, which has been superb, but i wonder how gut wrenching it really is for him to be honest. His dads a derby fan and it wouldn’t shock me if Osborn wasn’t more open about his love for them once he leaves. Could be wrong but just my suspicion.

Not for a minute questioning his attitude or work rate, which has been superb, but i wonder how gut wrenching it really is for him to be honest. His dads a derby fan and it wouldn’t shock me if Osborn wasn’t more open about his love for them once he leaves. Could be wrong but just my suspicion.

To be fair, it'swell known he is a Derby fan from a family of Derby fans, to me that shows exactly how commited he has been to Forest, especially considering some of the perfomances he's put in against the club he supports, even scoring a late winner at Pride Park in one of them.

That's commitment.

To be honest, I’m not sure Osborn has the love for the club people might think. He did arrive aged 8 but he was a derby fan and you won’t find that many interviews where he talks about his affiliation with forest unlike someone like Worrall or Yates, who’ve been there as long.

I think that's a great point. Not a player who convinces of any love for the club; more a player turning up for work and giving his all because that's what he expects of himself.

His dad has been pretty critical of the fanbase as well on twitter. Fair to say Osborn has attracted more than his share of trolls, but I still felt his dad overreacted. If he's a Derby fan I can start to see why that might have been

Osbotlrn in my view is a distinctively average footballer, ok at most things, great at none, hence why he gets moved around with positions, he has failed to make any of those his own with various managers.

5m is a great price, wish him the best of luck, I'm intrigued to see how many games he starts next year.

Osbotlrn in my view is a distinctively average footballer, ok at most things, great at none, hence why he gets moved around with positions, he has failed to make any of those his own with various managers.

5m is a great price, wish him the best of luck, I'm intrigued to see how many games he starts next year.

He'll defo startthe season as cover for the left sided positions. Wilder has stated that's the primary reason for signing him.

Wilder loves versitile & comitted players tho too, so owt could happen.

If he was shown zero interest in extending his contract then getting £3m+ for him is decent money, considering he's not exactly a first team player.

As mentioned above, it seems Sheff U are building a squad to gain automatic promotion in the 2020/21 Championship rather than survival this season in the Prem. If it works it's not a bad plan, very risky though if you spunk all your Premiership cash on Champ players and don't bounce back up.

Unless he signs another contract his value drops to zero come 9th August; 3m is a great deal.

Nice bloke but not a game changer. hes had a key role in our team for four years during which time his "influence" has left us where? Thats right. Where we started! Lets try a different tack.

That is a ridiculous assertion.

He came into a team that was on the way down yet performed with great consistency.

If some of the super star wankers like Lansbury and Assombalonga had put in half the effort that Osborn did over that period we would not have been in anything like the trouble we endured.

Not strictly true, we could still sell him in January although the value would almost certainly drop.

He could walk for free in January if he goes to a club outside of England; besides who in their right mind would consider a move when you are four months away from being a free agent.