Beer! | Vital Football

Beer!

gw54

Vital Squad Member
Lincoln City one of nine EFL clubs interested in a pilot scheme to allow the consumption of alcohol within view of the pitch, according to the Telegraph.

You can picture it. The start of a game, the 617 each with a beer . And we score in the first minute......scenes, beery scenes....

Contrast that with the entire Selenity, each with a drink. After 15 minutes a continuous procession to the toilets.

Only joking.

You can picture it. The start of a game, the 617 each with a beer . And we score in the first minute......scenes, beery scenes....

Contrast that with the entire Selenity, each with a drink. After 15 minutes a continuous procession to the toilets.

Only joking.

You're not allowed to joke!
Still see more or the Selenity mob at the further away games than them there singing folk! Only joking....

Used to be that a day on the beer was interrupted by a Lincoln game and gave the opportunity for a couple of hours off the booze and a bit of snooze.

Remember the World Cup and the big screens with all the fans with pints of beer. Score a goal and pints get slung up in the air and obviously land on other fans heads. Maybe fun for some on a barmy summers night. Not so much fun on a cold December night.
Football fans with even more alcohol, yeah I can see that going well.

Remember the World Cup and the big screens with all the fans with pints of beer. Score a goal and pints get slung up in the air and obviously land on other fans heads. Maybe fun for some on a barmy summers night. Not so much fun on a cold December night.
Football fans with even more alcohol, yeah I can see that going well.

That was the 'in thing' throughout the world cup. I watched the scenes on the tele where fans purposley slung them in the air......and in london no less where a pint is how much these days £5-£6? Madness.

Hope that was just a silly phase and our fans won't be doing the same.....although I'm sure we have our fair share of idiots.

Agree r.e. beers being thrown in the air. I mean, there are people who think it's funny. I can't say I'd be overly pleased to be doused in beer.

That said, and I don't drink at the football anyway, I do think it's about time beer in view of the pitch is trialed.

They'll still not allow it for local games, though.

Since when has this been club policy? Have the Supporters Board for instance discussed this topic and agreed it would be a good idea if legislation changes?

That was the 'in thing' throughout the world cup. I watched the scenes on the tele where fans purposley slung them in the air......and in london no less where a pint is how much these days £5-£6? Madness.

Bloody southerners - more money than sense!

Sorry to be boring, but I don't agree with it.

Some of us are old enough to remember the severe problems caused by alcohol at football matches. Much of that was due to social issues as well, but this is a retrogressive step that is completely unnecessary. The link between alcohol and antisocial behaviour is indelible: just visit any town centre on a Saturday night or pay a flying visit to Ibiza to see human idiocy at its worst. These are the same people they are proposing to permit to drink at football matches. If anyone really believes anything has changed in behaviour patterns, they are crazy.

The comparison with rugby is a lame duck of many years' standing. Football and rugby have different support bases with different demographics, leading to different behaviours.

I have never felt the slightest urge to drink during a football match, and cannot understand why it is such an issue; can people not abstain for two measly hours? Perhaps drinking at football matches appeals to exactly the sort of people who should not be allowed to.

If anyone doubts that alcohol at football matches may lead to more violence, if anyone deliberately soaked me in beer and ruined my clothes, I would flatten them.

I was at Beverley races when we played Sweden. Beer flying everywhere.
£5 a pint and a near 20 minute wait for the next one. Not on my watch!

I have my doubts whether the intention of this to allow alcohol on the terraces (perhaps except for designated drinking areas within sight of the pitch). I suspect it's to allow places like the legends lounge and the executive boxes to serve alcohol while watching the game...

Sorry to be boring, but I don't agree with it.

Some of us are old enough to remember the severe problems caused by alcohol at football matches. Much of that was due to social issues as well, but this is a retrogressive step that is completely unnecessary. The link between alcohol and antisocial behaviour is indelible: just visit any town centre on a Saturday night or pay a flying visit to Ibiza to see human idiocy at its worst. These are the same people they are proposing to permit to drink at football matches. If anyone really believes anything has changed in behaviour patterns, they are crazy.

The comparison with rugby is a lame duck of many years' standing. Football and rugby have different support bases with different demographics, leading to different behaviours.

I have never felt the slightest urge to drink during a football match, and cannot understand why it is such an issue; can people not abstain for two measly hours? Perhaps drinking at football matches appeals to exactly the sort of people who should not be allowed to.

If anyone doubts that alcohol at football matches may lead to more violence, if anyone deliberately soaked me in beer and ruined my clothes, I would flatten them.

Agreed. Been to a number of Bundesliga games where it works well, even paying a deposit for the Club plastic glass. However, other nations respect of alcohol is different from ours I would suggest.

I can see the benefits of this proposal.Rather than have the beer sales concentrated in short periods of time eg.half time,they would be spread throughout the game.Congestion would be eased in the bar area and beer sales and profits should increase. Punters would not have to rush their drinks and miss the game.

I don't see that fans would throw beer around as a consequence.In any event the club should make it clear that this was unacceptable.As is always the case for dealing with any potential issues and appropriate responses, things need to be kept in proportion.