Beer! | Page 4 | Vital Football

Beer!

It’s a funny one this one. I’m a rugby fan and I’m usually legless by the end of the game. Waiters bringing drink to your seat. It’s great. I’ve never lobbed my beer in the air as Jon Davies crashes over for a try. Nor in anger as France scores a try in the last of 100 minutes in Paris last year.
It’s to boiling tea and coffee brigade that terrify me. How they can wave offensive weapons about whilst I’m sat watching a football game with my sons is beyond me. They should be banned not beer.

I know we disagree, quite a bit, on a few things....but I am 100% with you on all of this.

Cricket (not T20 - as that can get very unruly) Rugby yes. Football.....No thanks.
Can get rowdy at test matches, been at trent bridge when fights have broken out, granted it was between derby and forest o and Stoke would have a scrap with anyone in the post tea session. Have heard they were going to reduce the hours when alcohol could sold.

Been to club and international rugby union a few times and not seen any trouble, in fact people seemed to be pacing themselves.
Granted everone's experience of various sporting events where alcohol is involved is different.
Do agree with Cheshire and a few others if you can't go a couple of hours without a drink it's a bad job. .

I'm in favour of looking at the proposal, in the legends lounge etc i think it's a good idea and extra revenue. Obviously it needs to be monitored: don't sell to those that are already drunk etc...

I do see the issue with people taking beers to their seats, it's pretty cramped as it is, but lids would solve that to a degree.

Can get rowdy at test matches, been at trent bridge when fights have broken out, granted it was between derby and forest o and Stoke would have a scrap with anyone in the post tea session. Have heard they were going to reduce the hours when alcohol could sold.

I've seen scraps at music gigs between rival fans too! It's not so much of an issue at foorball games as there's segregation.

Perhaps you ought to go to a rugby match then, they are a mix of people just like at a football match but generally not scum. The only real difference you will find is they can sit next to someone supporting the the other side without any animosity. Sadly a minority of football attendees would n’t be able to do the same, given the opportunity.

I’ve played and watched both sports for over 40 years. They are different in some aspects, but 99% of the “types” are the same people. The 1% (rugby toffs and football hooligans) exist but are not the norm.
I agree with Chimp,i have found when i have been to Twickenham 3 times,that the crowds at rugby are definately not scum.They like a pint,a hip flask and stand together in the many bars and talk to each other mixing well with all nationalities with no hint of trouble whatsoever.

It’s a funny one this one. I’m a rugby fan and I’m usually legless by the end of the game. Waiters bringing drink to your seat. It’s great. I’ve never lobbed my beer in the air as Jon Davies crashes over for a try. Nor in anger as France scores a try in the last of 100 minutes in Paris last year.
It’s to boiling tea and coffee brigade that terrify me. How they can wave offensive weapons about whilst I’m sat watching a football game with my sons is beyond me. They should be banned not beer.

An interesting point there.You could argue it's an anomoly that it is safe for tea/coffee to be drank at your seat but beer is considered more "dangerous". Incidentally are there any documented cases of tea/coffee being thrown over anyone at SB ?

Some laws are just common sense and Maggie was spot on with this one.
I can't recall the French being so explosive in 1939 when they didn't fancy their democratic fight. I hope you reminded your Frenchie friend of that.

Calm down there Jacob Reece Mogg .

Last edited:
An interesting point there.You could argue it's an anomoly that it is safe for tea/coffee to be drank at your seat but beer is considered more "dangerous". Incidentally are there any documented cases of tea/coffee being thrown over anyone at SB ?

I agree with Chimp,i have found when i have been to Twickenham 3 times,that the crowds at rugby are definately not scum.They like a pint,a hip flask and stand together in the many bars and talk to each other mixing well with all nationalities with no hint of trouble whatsoever.

Away fans were drenched with tea and urine when they were housed in the South Park terrace below the stand .Scum?

I can't recall the French being so explosive in 1939 when they didn't fancy their democratic fight. I hope you reminded your Frenchie friend of that.

Maybe you don't recall it because you weren't there?