Beer! | Page 3 | Vital Football

Beer!

From Man Utd's Exec box rules which are my understanding of how it operates
THE LICENSING LAW
In these facilities the match is viewed from your own private balcony (where applicable). Please note that alcohol cannot be consumed in Executive Boxes from 15 minutes prior to kick off and until 15 minutes after the game. During this time window blinds can be drawn to enable guests to enjoy refreshments. Five seater Executive Box holders must use the private bar area from 15 minutes prior to kick off and until 15 minutes after the game as there are no window blinds in these boxes.

Non-alcoholic drinks, including hot beverages, can be consumed in the paper cups or plastic glasses on the balcony.
Yep, that was the situation when I last went in an exec box ( Oakwell).

Sorry to be boring, but I don't agree with it.

Some of us are old enough to remember the severe problems caused by alcohol at football matches. Much of that was due to social issues as well, but this is a retrogressive step that is completely unnecessary. The link between alcohol and antisocial behaviour is indelible: just visit any town centre on a Saturday night or pay a flying visit to Ibiza to see human idiocy at its worst. These are the same people they are proposing to permit to drink at football matches. If anyone really believes anything has changed in behaviour patterns, they are crazy.

The comparison with rugby is a lame duck of many years' standing. Football and rugby have different support bases with different demographics, leading to different behaviours.

I have never felt the slightest urge to drink during a football match, and cannot understand why it is such an issue; can people not abstain for two measly hours? Perhaps drinking at football matches appeals to exactly the sort of people who should not be allowed to.

If anyone doubts that alcohol at football matches may lead to more violence, if anyone deliberately soaked me in beer and ruined my clothes, I would flatten them.

I know we disagree, quite a bit, on a few things....but I am 100% with you on all of this.

Cricket (not T20 - as that can get very unruly) Rugby yes. Football.....No thanks.

Never been to a rugby match, but my experience of rugby club types is that they are the biggest p*ssheads of all, and resort to the most dreadful behaviour, way beyond anything u could ever see in a football ground.
I enjoy a drink or three but rugby club folk are generally scum

Unfortunately and this is terrible to say but I can't see people behaving themselves. I don't think people will chuck their drinks around though if that's some consolation.

Been going to football for 55 odd years , been drinking fo 55 odd years , started early :guiness:

The two dont mix , drink before and after . If someone cant go 90 odd minutes with out a drink then they have a problem. Personally i go to football to watch the game , i go to a pub to have a drink . not rocket science .

I've seen many a problem caused by drink , and to have it whilst watching a game IMO would be asking for trouble . Mind you being a regular at Millwall in the 60s and early 70s its was always interesting drink or no drink

As scotimp mentioned , someone threw beer over me ,by accident or on purpose , well lets say i wouldnt shake his hand .

leave beer to the pubs and football to the stadium/ground .

Agreed. We have the fan zone which will keep developing.

Get there 1ish onwards. Enjoy a drink or two if you want, then go and watch the match.

No need for people to traipse up and down throughout match, annoying everyone else on your row, and definitely do not want idiots lobbing beer all over me.

Agreed. We have the fan zone which will keep developing.
Get there 1ish onwards. Enjoy a drink or two if u want, then go and watch the match
No need for people to traipse up and down throughout match, annoying everyone else on yr row, and definitely do not want idiots lobbing beer all over me.

Cushty mate Cushty

Just...

Why?

Agree with Chesh - before and after, when you have a chance to anticipate, analyse or just talk about other stuff, but if you need during, you have a problem.

Cricket (T20 mickey-mouse excepted) has a different rhythm which makes it more natural, but listening to TMS on way home from work when the Hollies, Western Terrace or whatever has had its fill and over-indulging in bad songs and beer snakes its all a bit embarassing. Rugger-buggers think they can handle it but that's a matter of opinion and you only have 80 minutes action to keep off the sauce and concentrate on how the ref interprets the breakdown.

Lets be honest - as a nation we can't handle our booze. Leave it out.

As much as I like a beer, just the thought of breaking the seal around the hour mark has turned me teetotal at football matches.

It's also nailed on that some of the more "relaxed" supporters wouldn't bother going to the toilet, and we'd be back to the days of cans / bottles of yellow (now uncapped, of course) and terrace "irrigation" incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
leave beer to the pubs and football to the stadium/ground

Don't have a problem with this but whilst clubs can sell beer inside the ground it isn't this simple.

So either allow it to be consumed at your seat or ban the sale of any alcohol within the ground as I believe is the case in Scotland.

What currently exists with the no drinking within sight of the pitch is a wishy washy piece of legislation which fails to deal with drunken/rowdy behaviour the 'legal' sale of alcohol inside the ground causes.

I recall matches when beer was available prior to Thatchers victimization of the working classes at a Football match .I have enjoyed a pint in many a Stadium .Burnley, Fulham ,The Orient and MillwalI I could go on. I played in Holland where beer is consumed in stands in large quantities . I have attended numerous European matches as a spectator . St Pauli, Fc Roma , to name but a few ,they all serve ale .I coached in Greece , same thing and believe me they can get exited .I never experienced any alcohol related issues that could be attributed to imbibing within the ground as apposed to outside . There are laws within this land that are discriminatory towards spectators of Football .Is that democratic ? I used to Scout with a French a Guy back in the Eighties around Europe .When the alcohol ban in England was imposed he advised me that if that was even attempted in France the reaction would be explosive .So I would suggest that as Free People we should Exercise our democratic right rather than find ways to justify our oppression

I always thought the rules were different if there was an outside balcony. I can't say i'm an expert though!
So did I.

A few years back now but when I was in a box at SB you could drink alcohol in it.

At Old Trafford you also could, but not on the balcony, which was classed as in the Stadium because there wasn't a bit of glass in front of you!

That was the 'in thing' throughout the world cup. I watched the scenes on the tele where fans purposley slung them in the air......and in london no less where a pint is how much these days £5-£6? Madness.

Hope that was just a silly phase and our fans won't be doing the same.....although I'm sure we have our fair share of idiots.

Was the same everywhere. My son and I went to watch the Sweden game at the Nosey Parker as it had a big screen out back. Beer everywhere when we scored.

We decided we were watching the rest of the games at home. I have no wish to get covered in beer when I go out.

Never been to a rugby match, but my experience of rugby club types is that they are the biggest p*ssheads of all, and resort to the most dreadful behaviour, way beyond anything u could ever see in a football ground.
I enjoy a drink or three but rugby club folk are generally scum

Perhaps you ought to go to a rugby match then, they are a mix of people just like at a football match but generally not scum. The only real difference you will find is they can sit next to someone supporting the the other side without any animosity. Sadly a minority of football attendees would n’t be able to do the same, given the opportunity.

I’ve played and watched both sports for over 40 years. They are different in some aspects, but 99% of the “types” are the same people. The 1% (rugby toffs and football hooligans) exist but are not the norm.

I recall matches when beer was available prior to Thatchers victimization of the working classes at a Football match .I have enjoyed a pint in many a Stadium .Burnley, Fulham ,The Orient and MillwalI I could go on. I played in Holland where beer is consumed in stands in large quantities . I have attended numerous European matches as a spectator . St Pauli, Fc Roma , to name but a few ,they all serve ale .I coached in Greece , same thing and believe me they can get exited .I never experienced any alcohol related issues that could be attributed to imbibing within the ground as apposed to outside . There are laws within this land that are discriminatory towards spectators of Football .Is that democratic ? I used to Scout with a French a Guy back in the Eighties around Europe .When the alcohol ban in England was imposed he advised me that if that was even attempted in France the reaction would be explosive .So I would suggest that as Free People we should Exercise our democratic right rather than find ways to justify our oppression

Some laws are just common sense and Maggie was spot on with this one.
I can't recall the French being so explosive in 1939 when they didn't fancy their democratic fight. I hope you reminded your Frenchie friend of that.