Beer! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Beer!

It depends what is intended, with the current crowd levels I'm already disturbed enough by people going to the loo or whatever, if people are going for a beer during the game then going to be up and down like a hore's nighty

Sorry to be boring, but I don't agree with it.

Some of us are old enough to remember the severe problems caused by alcohol at football matches. Much of that was due to social issues as well, but this is a retrogressive step that is completely unnecessary. The link between alcohol and antisocial behaviour is indelible: just visit any town centre on a Saturday night or pay a flying visit to Ibiza to see human idiocy at its worst. These are the same people they are proposing to permit to drink at football matches. If anyone really believes anything has changed in behaviour patterns, they are crazy.

The comparison with rugby is a lame duck of many years' standing. Football and rugby have different support bases with different demographics, leading to different behaviours.

I have never felt the slightest urge to drink during a football match, and cannot understand why it is such an issue; can people not abstain for two measly hours? Perhaps drinking at football matches appeals to exactly the sort of people who should not be allowed to.

If anyone doubts that alcohol at football matches may lead to more violence, if anyone deliberately soaked me in beer and ruined my clothes, I would flatten them.

Despise violence at football, unless it’s you doing it?

It depends what is intended, with the current crowd levels I'm already disturbed enough by people going to the loo or whatever, if people are going for a beer during the game then going to be up and down like a hore's nighty

Wish it was more like the theatre, far more civilised.

I don't have an issue with people taking their ONE beer into the stand within a fixed period of let's say up to the point of kick for each half. We don't want people nipping in and out of seats regularly or armed with copious amounts of liquid ammunition during the game. Surely a few drinks before the game with a pint for each half is adequate.

I have my doubts whether the intention of this to allow alcohol on the terraces (perhaps except for designated drinking areas within sight of the pitch). I suspect it's to allow places like the legends lounge and the executive boxes to serve alcohol while watching the game...

Alcohol is already served during the game in the executive boxes, don't know about the Legends lounge

Thats a major problem at twickenham i read.

People are up and down round us constantly now:downer::eek!:

Needs cup holders on the seats for that to work at football, might have space in St Andrews for that but not in the Coop or Stacey West.

Needs cup holders on the seats for that to work at football, might have space in St Andrews for that but not in the Coop or Stacey West.
Well something for new stadium then! Nice posh seats with cup holders for everyone (for tea/coffee etc too of course)

Despite being someone who barely drinks and never at a football ground this is a sensible decision.
The suggestion that beer being chucked over other supporters is a bit nonsensical within the ground as it doesn't happen with tea/coffee etc at the moment and only seems to happen during a world cup match during mid summer.
As beer is available within the ground this leads to some downing a pint or two within a very short period before the match or at half time. To take it to your seat would make it last longer meaning it doesn't have that effect of getting you drunk quicker.
Other legislation such as being drunk in a designated sports ground will be unaffected.
It may assist in queuing as identified as those buying will have somewhere else to go rather than the bar area and probably increase profits for the club

Yep you can have booze in the boxes, i presumed it was ok as there is a glass barrier?

The one and only benefit of the boxes I guess - free choice. I'd rather be in the Coop though every time. To be fair I can cope for 45 mins ... maybe even 90 mins without a pint. It was tough in the darker days though - you didn't want to risk sobering up watching that mess.

Yep you can have booze in the boxes, i presumed it was ok as there is a glass barrier?

From Man Utd's Exec box rules which are my understanding of how it operates
THE LICENSING LAW
In these facilities the match is viewed from your own private balcony (where applicable). Please note that alcohol cannot be consumed in Executive Boxes from 15 minutes prior to kick off and until 15 minutes after the game. During this time window blinds can be drawn to enable guests to enjoy refreshments. Five seater Executive Box holders must use the private bar area from 15 minutes prior to kick off and until 15 minutes after the game as there are no window blinds in these boxes.

Non-alcoholic drinks, including hot beverages, can be consumed in the paper cups or plastic glasses on the balcony.