BBC Radio Lincolnshire | Page 3 | Vital Football

BBC Radio Lincolnshire

Croozey - 5/3/2018 089:52

who remembers Boothby Graffoe on a Friday evening?

I used to like that....but I was his target audience at the time....I can understand why others didn't like it though.

The Electric Banana - 4/3/2018 16:15

GreenNeedle - 4/3/2018 16:02

BBC accept constructive feedback? Not sure that will ever happen. They are too busy advertising themselves and telling the world how they are the pinnacle of broadcasting.

Have you got a better broadcaster in mind?

I don't watch much TV. There's never anything worth watching on it.

The Electric Banana - 4/3/2018 18:52
Furthermore, who else would have given John Peel any airtime let alone nearly 40 years of championing a slew of new and challenging artists who became household names.

Ermmm.........ironically that would be Radio London....The format you describe is the one the pirate radio stations used and which the BBC adopted after they had closed them down and pinched their DJs.

They just do the same thing over and over. BBC website dominates, BBC news channel dominates.

They are currently banging on about RT (Russia today) and would love to close that one down too. (Probably quite rightly) but they don't worry about poaching news presenters off them.

GreenNeedle - 5/3/2018 12:49

Furthermore, who else would have given John Peel any airtime let alone nearly 40 years of championing a slew of new and challenging artists who became household names.

Ermmm.........ironically that would be Radio London....The format you describe is the one the pirate radio stations used and which the BBC adopted after they had closed them down and pinched their DJs.

They just do the same thing over and over. BBC website dominates, BBC news channel dominates.

They are currently banging on about RT (Russia today) and would love to close that one down too. (Probably quite rightly) but they don't worry about poaching news presenters off them.

Interestingly enough it was Ooh Gary Davies on your radio, who gave the first play of Radiohead, Pacific State by 808 State. Goodybags first played Happy Mondays.

And Simon Mayo that amongst other great tunes, broke the excellent Midnight Oil's Beds are Burning.

As much as I hate to say it, it was DLTs producer, Trevor Dann, that made Talking Heads Once in a Life time.

Croozey - 5/3/2018 09:52

who remembers Boothby Graffoe on a Friday evening?
I know the name, but for some reason I expected to then read about some events in their village hall. :pointy:

Scotimp - 4/3/2018 23:58

The Electric Banana - 4/3/2018 10:37

Scotimp - 4/3/2018 10:16

The person who reads the football results on Sports Report (Charlotte Green?) sounds like Jenny Agutter - they should be congratulated for that alone.

Did you sneak into the Lincoln ABC to watch Walkabout ;-)

I saw her as Regan in King Lear at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in 1982 (A-level English) and was sitting three feet from the stage. We were all drooling over her. That might have been because of the beer we had swallowed beforehand, though.

More Jenny Agutter fans!! I don't think it was the beer - I wouldn't need any to drool over her

Did anyone get to see a Radio 1 roadshow? We saw one in St Ives while we were there on holiday one year; Paul Burnett was the host DJ. Quite enjoyable/good fun

Nothing to do with that, but also saw DLT in the Tate St Ives another year

GreenNeedle - 5/3/2018 12:40

BBC accept constructive feedback? Not sure that will ever happen. They are too busy advertising themselves and telling the world how they are the pinnacle of broadcasting.

Define "Worth watching". Genuinely interested to know...

The Electric Banana - 4/3/2018 10:37

Scotimp - 4/3/2018 10:16

The person who reads the football results on Sports Report (Charlotte Green?) sounds like Jenny Agutter - they should be congratulated for that alone.

Did you sneak into the Lincoln ABC to watch Walkabout ;-)

You beat me to Walkabout reference, EB!

UnbelievableJeff - 5/3/2018 13:15

As much as I hate to say it, it was DLTs producer, Trevor Dann, that made Talking Heads Once in a Life time.

Ironic then that it was Trevor Dann who sacked DLT leading to his infamous rant and the cringeworthy BBC "Blood on the Carpet" documentary.

John Peel worked on Radio London for under 18 months, that was only after he returned from a long spell broadcasting in the US. He was pretty mainstream back then he was only when he moved to Auntie allowed to spread his wings and really champion alternative and challenging artists without the 'payola' restrictions. The Pirates used to make more from spondo's from back-handed bungs from the record companies than they did from on air advertising and were far from independent.

It was only the with the passing of the MOA (which had nothing to do with BBC and was very much an infatuation of Tony Benn who was the Postmaster General) in August 1967 that Caroline became true independent broadcaster as the record companies disappeared faster than a rat down a drain pipe after that Act was passed and huge penalties could be imposed of them for the merest association with the pirates. After Aug '67 Caroline which became the sole remaining Pirate after it had moved into International waters. After then had to earn its corn as a true commercial alternative radio station, which it did until the early '80s, by which time Peel was and legendary and fiercely independent jock at Auntie. Peel was one of the very few jocks that had a FM show back then and is rightly revered, which he could not have flourished in a commercial radio environment. As an aside Caroline had a better signal in the Lincoln than Radio 1 when it was on 247 MW.

You clearly have a beef with BBC which is fine, but please balance it with facts.

The Electric Banana - 5/3/2018 18:58

John Peel worked on Radio London for under 18 months, that was only after he returned from a long spell broadcasting in the US. He was pretty mainstream back then he was only when he moved to Auntie allowed to spread his wings and really champion alternative and challenging artists without the 'payola' restrictions. The Pirates used to make more from spondo's from back-handed bungs from the record companies than they did from on air advertising and were far from independent.

It was only the with the passing of the MOA (which had nothing to do with BBC and was very much an infatuation of Tony Benn who was the Postmaster General) in August 1967 that Caroline became true independent broadcaster as the record companies disappeared faster than a rat down a drain pipe after that Act was passed and huge penalties could be imposed of them for the merest association with the pirates. After Aug '67 Caroline which became the sole remaining Pirate after it had moved into International waters. After then had to earn its corn as a true commercial alternative radio station, which it did until the early '80s, by which time Peel was and legendary and fiercely independent jock at Auntie. Peel was one of the very few jocks that had a FM show back then and is rightly revered, which he could not have flourished in a commercial radio environment. As an aside Caroline had a better signal in the Lincoln than Radio 1 when it was on 247 MW.

You clearly have a beef with BBC which is fine, but please balance it with facts.

I don't have a beef with the BBC. I just think Peel was overrated...and quite frankly.....dull.

Brendan Bradley - 5/3/2018 17:56

UnbelievableJeff - 5/3/2018 13:15

Ironic then that it was Trevor Dann who sacked DLT leading to his infamous rant and the cringeworthy BBC "Blood on the Carpet" documentary.

Not quite....It was Johnny Beerling who sacked DLT after he repeated his rant in The Sun, during the week after his very self indulgent "Changes are happening..." speech. I do recommend The Nations' Favourite, book which you can get on Amazon for a penny, which describes the Bannisterisation of Radio 1, or 1FM, as it was known in 1993.

Trevor Dann famously, and by his own admission, proudly sacked Bruno Brookes after his early morning show and used the phrase "A giant behemoth striding the hours of early morning radio."

A shame, as I actually thought Bruno was less cheesy than Goodybags. Indeed he was only 35 when Radio 1 dispensed with his services.

NottyImp - 5/3/2018 15:03

If I watch the TV it will be either news or a history/science sort of educational documentary (all history and science docus are educational.)

Hardly ever have BBC1 on. BBC2 sometimes and BBC4 might get a blast on occasion especially if Prof Alice Roberts is on.

If I have nothing better to do then I might check out discovery or yesterday etc. Thats about it. Much prefer to turn it off and stick a record on the record player with the sextetts over my ears to block the world out.

I am not questioning that John Peel got more freedom when he went to the BBC but like many of the others he was at a Pirate with all the old heads at the BBC instead. The BBC and its monopoly went after the pirates and then poached all the DJs that had been pushing the "modern music." The BBC in those mid sixties years limited pop to a minimum which gave the pirates the possibility in the first place. Most record companies gave the pirates stuff because they were playing their records whereas the Beeb wasn't.

John Peel, Kenny Everett, Tony Blackburn, Simon Dee

IF we want to really look at it factually, had it not been for the pirate stations then it might have remained a limited hour here or there for "pop" music on the BBC and we might not be where we are now. Had it not been for the pirates (pre Peel) then he might only have been able to be the same polite wooden straight-laced presenter as the rest of the BBC was at that time.

You also credit John Peel himself with the style (sessions) he became famous for when it only came about because he couldn't play records through the whole show and he didn't want to jabber on like all the other bores on BBC radio at that time. A good decision because he was very very boring when he started jabbering (or at least was when I would put the radio on late at night in the 80s!!! That and the god awful bongo music or endless fawning over Mark E Smith and the fall. Something that Jools Holland decided to take up the mantle on.

I have no beef with the Beeb. Just that for the money it takes it no longer maintains the transmitters as they are independent. It does not produce the quality of content it used to (other than documentaries which are excellent) and its news service employs interpreters of news rather than reporters and correspondents. Rather than just tell us what is happening they develop a spin and narrative on absolutely everything.

It is far too big and far too dominant and far too pleased with telling everybody how they are the benchmark for every other outlet in the world to look to.

Virtually all their "light entertainment" is now copied from other channels. There is virtually no cutting edge comedy anymore. It used to be very very good but has been in terminal decline for years offering nothing new and just using other outlet's ideas.

As for your comment about back handers from the record companies??? Do you ever listen to Radio 1? They use playlists and have done for ages. The problem is that they now make or break artists but not DJs discovering the acts. The DJs are now merely button pressers. Even Nick Grimshaw the other day joked to his Assistant that she had to press the button because he hated the next song.

John Peel has his place in history but that has nothing to do with the BBC. They would still be playing nice stuff and whispering away for ages inbetween records. It is a reactive rather than proactive dinosaur of a broadcaster that presents a facade of being innovative when it isn't. They just use their market dominance to push ideas that they have pinched or forced to copy because their competitors have innovated. Without that dominance they would have gone years ago like any independent that can;t keep up with the times.

It is no co-incidence that they started Radio 1 a month after they had "successfully" had the pirates closed down.

plumbob - 4/3/2018 09:24

The Imposter - 4/3/2018 08:31

I listened for a while heading into work and thought it was really enjoyable. They should do more programmes like that. I agree they should do more phone-ins too... Radio Sheffield do one every night and they are a great listen.
Praise and grumble?

I was thinking more Football Heaven, but yes Praise and Grumble too. A wide range of views you get on there.

GreenNeedle - 6/3/2018 01:13

Most record companies gave the pirates stuff because they were playing their records whereas the Beeb wasn't.

Had it not been for the pirates (pre Peel) then he might only have been able to be the same polite wooden straight-laced presenter as the rest of the BBC was at that time.

Apart from Alan Freeman?

Regarding the BBC not previously playing records, 'needle time' restrictions were a factor.

Lots of facts here:-

http://www.muhistory.com/hang-the-dj-the-musicians-union-and-the-early-days-of-radio-1/

GreenNeedle - 6/3/2018 00:39

NottyImp - 5/3/2018 15:03

If I watch the TV it will be either news or a history/science sort of educational documentary (all history and science docus are educational.)

Hardly ever have BBC1 on. BBC2 sometimes and BBC4 might get a blast on occasion especially if Prof Alice Roberts is on.

If I have nothing better to do then I might check out discovery or yesterday etc. Thats about it. Much prefer to turn it off and stick a record on the record player with the sextetts over my ears to block the world out.

Interesting. So no drama at all? Lots of really good drama out there at the moment - probably more than at any other time in TV history. I'm pretty discerning and don't like to watch too much TV either, but I can't hope to watch all of it.

But if factual stuff is your bag, plenty of that as well.

NottyImp - 6/3/2018 11:36

Interesting. So no drama at all? Lots of really good drama out there at the moment - probably more than at any other time in TV history. I'm pretty discerning and don't like to watch too much TV either, but I can't hope to watch all of it.

But if factual stuff is your bag, plenty of that as well.

The only "drama" I have watched was "The last Kingdom" but then that does have a historical element to it.

I actually have "how the Universe works" on at the moment on one of the discovery channels.