Bassett, Warnock or.......... | Vital Football

Bassett, Warnock or..........

seanbeanstattoo

Vital Football Hero
1655334076558.png

John Nicholson (1864–23 April 1932) was club secretary for Sheffield United for over 30 years. During this period the club did not employ a 'manager' but Nicholson undertook many of the duties currently associated with a modern-day football manager.
Born in Attercliffe in Sheffield, Nicholson was originally a lawyer's clerk who was active with the Sheffield and Hallamshire FA as well as secretary of Attercliffe F.C.[1]
In 1899 he was offered the post of club secretary at Sheffield United when the club became a Limited Company and remained in the role until his death. Although the team was coached by a trainer and selected by a committee, Nicholson ran the club on a day-to-day basis, dealing with transfers and other finances, liaising with the Football Association and looking after the players' general affairs. Regarded as one of the most respected men in football at the time he had a vast number of contacts throughout the game and was an expert in the rules, laws and regulations of the sport.[1]
Nicholson presided over the most successful period in The Blades history, winning four FA Cups in 1899, 1902, 1915 and 1925 (also reaching the final in 1901, 1936) and maintaining United as a dominant league force, winning the old 1st division Championship in 1898. Despite never holding the post of manager at The Blades, he was offered just such a position at Manchester City in 1926 but turned it down, preferring to remain in his home town.[1]
Nicholson died in 1932 after being knocked down by a lorry whilst crossing the road outside Sheffield Midland Station on his way to join the team, who were heading off to Birmingham to play a match against Aston Villa. Local newspaper reports estimated that over 6,000 people attended his funeral.[1]

Nicholson was appointed at a time when clubs didn't really have managers, they were selected from the boardroom level to oversee the squad. The pressure on results wasn't like they are now. If you lost a game, so what, it was just a game - though it was still run as a business.

It was unfortunate what happened to Nicholson in how he passed away. I don't know how you want to determine who was the 'best manager?' - by what they achieved at the club or by statistics. Trophy cabinet-wise, Wolstinholm wculd be the most decorated having won the First Division title in 1898 along with an FA Cup in 1899 - though Nicholson won 3 FA Cup trophies. United also shared the Sheriff of London trophy in 1898, which is now the Community Shield and we, along with Corinthians, were the first teams to win this competition!

Statistically, our 'best manager' is Danny Wilson with a win percentage of 51.89%. Heckingbottom has a better margin of 53.33% but his tenure hasn't ended. I wouldn't incude Cec oldwell and Archie Clark as they were interim managers at the time!

Unsurprisingly, David Weir with a win ratio of just 7.69% is our 'worse' maanger, statistically!

In my opinion, I would say that Bassett is the best maanger I've seen at the Lane (though I did admire Spackman). With what was a basic squad, after a decade of decline, like a pheonix he rose us from the ashes of the Third Division and with back-to back promotions, on a low bsquad budget, he got us into the top flight. Coming back in 1990-91 in the great escape was also a remarkable achievement that is rarely matched.

1655368168291.png

Nicholson was appointed at a time when clubs didn't really have managers, they were selected from the boardroom level to oversee the squad. The pressure on results wasn't like they are now. If you lost a game, so what, it was just a game - though it was still run as a business.

It was unfortunate what happened to Nicholson in how he passed away. I don't know how you want to determine who was the 'best manager?' - by what they achieved at the club or by statistics. Trophy cabinet-wise, Wolstinholm wculd be the most decorated having won the First Division title in 1898 along with an FA Cup in 1899 - though Nicholson won 3 FA Cup trophies. United also shared the Sheriff of London trophy in 1898, which is now the Community Shield and we, along with Corinthians, were the first teams to win this competition!

Statistically, our 'best manager' is Danny Wilson with a win percentage of 51.89%. Heckingbottom has a better margin of 53.33% but his tenure hasn't ended. I wouldn't incude Cec oldwell and Archie Clark as they were interim managers at the time!

Unsurprisingly, David Weir with a win ratio of just 7.69% is our 'worse' maanger, statistically!

In my opinion, I would say that Bassett is the best maanger I've seen at the Lane (though I did admire Spackman). With what was a basic squad, after a decade of decline, like a pheonix he rose us from the ashes of the Third Division and with back-to back promotions, on a low bsquad budget, he got us into the top flight. Coming back in 1990-91 in the great escape was also a remarkable achievement that is rarely matched.

View attachment 58351
Yes I'm not a fan of judging managers on their win percentages. Too many variables like the division we were in, the players/ money they had at their disposal and the entertainment provided.

John Harris was the best manager in my time followed by Bassett and Wilder (even allowing for that torturous last season). Adrian Heath and Weir were probably the worst but the enjoyable but ultimately disappointing 02/03 season apart, I wasn't a fan of Warnock as a manager or a person. I didn't even rate our promotion season under him that high. Hopefully Hecky will be in my top 3 in a couple of years time.

Yes I'm not a fan of judging managers on their win percentages. Too many variables like the division we were in, the players/ money they had at their disposal and the entertainment provided.

John Harris was the best manager in my time followed by Bassett and Wilder (even allowing for that torturous last season). Adrian Heath and Weir were probably the worst but the enjoyable but ultimately disappointing 02/03 season apart, I wasn't a fan of Warnock as a manager or a person. I didn't even rate our promotion season under him that high. Hopefully Hecky will be in my top 3 in a couple of years time.

Born in the 80s, I'm not old enough to remember anyone pre-Bassett, so my choice is limited, although we have seen quite a few managers come and go after him. I thought Warnock was ok and Wilder was in the same mold that he knew how to wheel and deal in the Football League but, transfer-wise was out of his comfort zone in the Premier League. The triple assault season (02/03) was, probably, one of the best seasons we had for some time (at the time), and would have been made better with promotion.

Agree with GB. In my time following the Blades I'd say Harris, Bassett,Warnock and Wilder stand head and shoulders above the rest. I would struggle to rank them although I'm drawn to Bassett as what he achieved based on resources available and the length of time he succeeded puts him above Warnock or Wilder. Football was a very different animal in Harris time so comparisons are pretty much impossible. That said, the best Blades team I've ever seen was the 1970/71;1971/72 one. It had everything. A great defence with players who also scored goals. The best midfield we've had and a forward line well supplied and able to finish.
I'm pretty sure not one of that team would have crawled around on the ground for anyone, and I would have felt sorry for anyone asking Hockey.T to so do!

Harris for me too. A very loyal servant to the Club. Constantly sold down the river by Wragg and co on the board. Jones and Birchenall sold against his wishes and we get relegated after he had built a team around the 61 promotion side. Moved upstairs, Rowley brought in only for him to return and build the great team of the early 70's. Again shunted to one side for Eddy and eventually left only to resurface across the city as Charltons number 2. No co-incidence the S6 lot's form picked up when he went there.

The football played by the Currie, Woodward team was the best I've seen. Loved Bassets teams never say die attitude but the style of football couldn't compare to JH's teams. Having said that DB gave me my greatest memory watching the Blades. The Bobby Davison double show at the sty.

The best management team historically has to be the committee with Nicholson that managed the team at the turn of the 19th century. The Blades were one of the top teams in the country winning 1 title, 2 fa Cups one GB cup and finishing league runners up twice. Having said that Boards at SUFC have always managed to mess up despite the manager. The treatment of the player in my avatar was appalling where they failed to dispel the rumour he had thrown a match in the league winning side. He left to a new club Liverpool who he captained and helped them to win their first league title the following year.

The real reason for Rab Howells demise was that as a married man he had an affair with the girl who looked after the Clubs horses and the methodist dominated board did not want that scandal at the Club. RH eventually re married got capped by England and played 2 seasons for Liverpool before injury cut short his career. It is a black mark on the club that they shamefully refused to play a testimonial for him to raise money following the end of his career and failed to address the myth he had thrown a match. Our greatest ever player Ernest Needham stood by RH and led the tributes to him. A salutary lesson for owners. Players and managers are usually remembered Boards rarely are.

View attachment 58351
We also won the Great Britain cup (can’t remember its proper name) in this time it was played for only once between the champions of England (us) and the champions of Scotland (Celtic) so we still hold it and it can be seen in the legends of lane still to this day

We also won the Great Britain cup (can’t remember its proper name) in this time it was played for only once between the champions of England (us) and the champions of Scotland (Celtic) so we still hold it and it can be seen in the legends of lane still to this day
I knew we were good then but I never knew why Nicola hates us Bully.

If only that was true.... the competition ran from 1876 up until 1904 and was played between the Champions of England and Scotland. Surprisingly, Bury, was the last team to win this competition - don't know we have the trophy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Championship

However, in 1896, the winners of the FA Cup met the Scottish Cup winners, with Hearts defeating The Massive 3-0 in a one-off fixture.

If only that was true.... the competition ran from 1876 up until 1904 and was played between the Champions of England and Scotland. Surprisingly, Bury, was the last team to win this competition - don't know we have the trophy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Championship

However, in 1896, the winners of the FA Cup met the Scottish Cup winners, with Hearts defeating The Massive 3-0 in a one-off fixture.
I’ve seen it in the legends I used to go there for meetings with the club somebody better tell club historian John Garrett then cos that’s what he told us and there was only our name on the cup !