barry george refused compo | Vital Football

barry george refused compo

badge73

Vital 1st Team Regular
remember the bloke who was jailed for the killing of jill dando, then released after a retrial (was a complete balls up by the met if they thought it was him to begin with) well he has tried to get compensation for having to spend time in nick (as you would do really!) but has been refused due to ....

In January, the High Court had ruled that Mr George did not qualify for compensation because jurors could still reasonably have convicted him despite new evidence that led to his acquittal.

Mr George had called for a reconsideration of his case, which would have opened the way for him to claim an award of up to £500,000.

Lord Justice Richards, sitting at the Court of Appeal in London, rejected Mr George's application for permission to challenge the January decision.

He said the 53-year-old, who was present for the ruling, had "no realistic prospects" of success on appeal.

Speaking outside the Royal Courts of Justice, Mr George's sister, Michelle Diskin, described the judge's decision as a "travesty of justice".

Ms Diskin said: "There never was any viable evidence against Barry.

"This whole case from April 2000 until today has been a smoke and mirrors exercise designed to placate a worried public, and give the impression that justice had been done.

"Well, neither the Dando family, nor our family, has seen any justice in the past 13 years."

Ms Diskin continued: "Barry is innocent. He deserves a financial settlement to compensate for all that was taken from him - everything he owned and eight years of his life.

"We are extremely disappointed with today's decision and will need to go away and regroup to decide what to do next. We cannot let this go unchallenged."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23241520

quite interesting and sums up these times nicely, innocent and get feck all but crap ... guilty then get the top lawyers and legal aid to run off to europe for murdering who ever you want.

Didnt we all agree in the last Barry george thread that he almost certainly did kill her, but the evidence was too sketchy for the courts?

RosettaStoned - 9/7/2013 14:28

Didnt we all agree in the last Barry george thread that he almost certainly did kill her, but the evidence was too sketchy for the courts?

would not know, but do know i would hate to face a jury made up of 12 randoms from this site, especially after what i read in various forums :21:

It's disgusting IMO.

Whatever peoples opinions of the fella - he was found innocent by our justice system, he deserves the compensation, and whoever was responsible for his initial case and conviction should be fired.

Wasn't Jill Dando killed by a hitman?

Poor old Barry George. No compo despite being convicted of a crime he didn't commit. I wouldn't blame him if he formed a group of entertaining mercenaries with fellow wrongly convicted people and toured the country in a van helping innocent people who are being bullied by evil corporations and the like.

James06 - 9/7/2013 16:51

It's disgusting IMO.

Whatever peoples opinions of the fella - he was found innocent by our justice system, he deserves the compensation, and whoever was responsible for his initial case and conviction should be fired.

In an ideal world our "justice" system woudn't be locking up so many innocent people (or those not proven to be guilty!) The system looks after itself and anyone on the inside, as long as they do as they are told.

I initially read this as 'Boy George refused compo' and I Thought it was strange as he doesn't usually refuse anyone.

My bad.