Barnsley vs Forest - Match Fred sponsored by Forest's new no.1 fan | Page 26 | Vital Football

Barnsley vs Forest - Match Fred sponsored by Forest's new no.1 fan

I’m Just putting this result down to a very, very bad day at the office, collectively we were bloody awful! Often time if one or possibly two are off the boil you may get away with it but last night there was 7 or 8 who were absolutely woeful. It’s alright slamming Lamouchi for poor tactics but surely it’s not too much to expect professional football players to adapt to one or two different formations, I mean fook me what do they do on the training ground all week?? Sabri’s tactics shouldn’t affect the players basic ability to control a ball and pass it to a team mate but last night we struggled to put any sort of coherent passages of play together. We know our system works, you don’t fluke 5th place in the table over 45 games. We don’t have any really truly outstanding players so Sabri opts for hard work, defensive solidity and pragmatism over attacking flair and really we can’t argue - it’s worked!! - our position in the table with the players at our disposal is evidence to that. Choose what happens from here it’s been a bloody refreshing change to be challenging at the right end of the table for once. If I’m being honest I like swift, incisive counter attacking football as opposed to that tiki taka possession based shit, with a few quality additions in the break hopefully we’ll see the types of goals we scored at Fulham early in the season a lot more often.

Im not advocating sabri loses his job by any stretch as on the whole I feel hes doing well...I get frustrated at his pigheaded attitude to certain players but he wont be the first/last manager to freeze certain players out

should the worst happen on wednesday and we drop out the play offs what do we think Marinakis will think?

you see watford on their 13 manager in 7 years and we cant be too far behind that, will he see what we are trying to build and support in transfers or knee jerk and get rid?
I think there is an equal question if whether he would want to carry on in those circumstances as well

I think there is an equal question if whether he would want to carry on in those circumstances as well
I haven't seen anything in SL which makes me think he is the answer. I will give the summer and the start of next season to change, but if we are still being served this turgid excuse for football, and see his inability to buy or even select decent football players to win a game, then he's gone for me after the first 10 games. Because this football and team selections will lead to relegation ultimately.

Don't ask me who I would want, as I don't know, and who would even want to come here.
Just so pissed off with the combination of SL total ineptitude since we came back, and of course bone head Worrall's brain fart at Derby which has cost us resting players for Swansea, Barnsley and Stoke

I haven't seen anything in SL which makes me think he is the answer. I will give the summer and the start of next season to change, but if we are still being served this turgid excuse for football, and see his inability to buy or even select decent football players to win a game, then he's gone for me after the first 10 games. Because this football and team selections will lead to relegation ultimately.

Don't ask me who I would want, as I don't know, and who would even want to come here.
Just so pissed off with the combination of SL total ineptitude since we came back, and of course bone head Worrall's brain fart at Derby which has cost us resting players for Swansea, Barnsley and Stoke

Not sure quite who you think you are, but "gone for me" means precisely sod all.

Given your persistent slagging off of the first person to take a forest side from no where to the playoffs in a decade, I don't really give a toss who you would want instead either, so no; I won't be asking. All I know is that you'll be on the next guy's back as well the minute he doesn't play certain players you have selected from your armchair

I'm a massive Billy fan mate, but I think what you need to recognize is the similarity of their situations, and how both were/are essentially good managers making do with a smattering of good players, but on the whole the bulk of the squad average/shit players.

Neither Davies nor Lamouchi have been backed anywhere near the standard which teams serious about promotion need to back their managers.

The lack of creative & goal-scoring options in the side is scandelous. We've relied heavily on Grabban & Lolley for 2 years now, and we dropped lucky that MON wanted to brng Ameobi here. Having left it to Modesto & co to get us more goalscorers and we'd have another Mir, Bonatini, Diakhaby etc. here I mean, Da Costa's looked good recently, but again no goals.

Changing manager isn't the answer mate. Billy would get fucked over in the same way if he was here. The club needs to adjust it's bizarre recruitment policy which sees us have a limp, yet expensive, 17m bench in Carvalho, Jenks & Da Costa, but not one genuine goalscorer in 2 years to cover/assist Grabban.

It's amazing we are where we are with our lack of options. Plan A & our fist 11 can make the top 6. Beyond that the dire backup players which recruitment have signed like Semedo, Mir & Diakhaby have meant plan B is at best a mid-table one, at worst a relegation bound one.

Spot on. Recruitment has let down Lamouchi and the fans. We have no quality backup thanks to their failure.

Presumably you're quite sure that SL buys the players are you?
And you don't like his total ineptitude either, and you don't think much to Worralls bone head.
I don't think that you understand football at all.

Presumably you're quite sure that SL buys the players are you?
And you don't like his total ineptitude either, and you don't think much to Worralls bone head.
I don't think that you understand football at all.
Both of you will be in agreement once you're subjected to this dross at the start of next season. Whether he buys or not, he still selects Diakhaby, Yates over Bostock and Carvalho when we need to try and create something. He sets the negative tactics and we create absolutely fuck all week after week.
We have had such an opportunity to be more positive in the last 4/5 games since a great Derby performance and that is squarely on him, his tactics and team selections.
Dream on if you think this guy is the ultimate answer

When did Marinakis put you in charge of hiring and firing, chap? He's going to be very disappointed that you don't have a replacement lined up.

I'm sure Lamouchi will at least be grateful for the 10 games you are giving him next season.

Both of you will be in agreement once you're subjected to this dross at the start of next season. Whether he buys or not, he still selects Diakhaby, Yates over Bostock and Carvalho when we need to try and create something. He sets the negative tactics and we create absolutely fuck all week after week.
We have had such an opportunity to be more positive in the last 4/5 games since a great Derby performance and that is squarely on him, his tactics and team selections.
Dream on if you think this guy is the ultimate answer

We can’t afford, or in our current position are ever likely to attract the ultimate answer. Lamouchi has quite literally ‘made a silk purse out of a sows ear’. Carvalho has had numerous chances to shine and has failed dismally almost every time. Quite simply, with our current system he is a luxury we cannot afford. Lamouchi‘s approach is all about ‘the sum of the parts’ and Carvalho’s work rate and lack of physicality is detrimental to this. Our current model concedes the lions share of possession to the opponent almost all the time and looks to hit teams on the counter. This approach has been successful a lot of the time this season our league position is testament to this and with a few quality additions will improve even further. Go back to the games v Leeds (H), Fulham, Brentford & Derby (A) to name but a few which proves possession wins nowt. Whether you like this style of football is entirely subjective, being brought up watching Cloughs teams I love it. Under BC we were the masters of counter attacking football, the only difference being the calibre of players we were watching was greatly enhanced.

I've no idea what his fitness is like, his match sharpness clearly won't be there but in isolation yup. His pace would at least give us an outlet rather than a bumbling oaf who can't attack or defend.

I believe that's my fault- there I was, before the Barnsley game, saying how well I thought Jenkinson had done in Cashy's absence (all things considered). From that point on, he was bound to be tosh.

Mind you, he wasnt alone in being shite yesterday.

Let's pray we can get the best 11 out for the next 1/3/4 games because if we can, we might have a very slim chance.... let's face it, we have one half-decent starting team, with one way of playing and one plan.

Adding 5/6 quality players to that for next season is a big conundrum, be that scouting issues or financial issues.

Last edited:
We can’t afford, or in our current position are ever likely to attract the ultimate answer. Lamouchi has quite literally ‘made a silk purse out of a sows ear’. Carvalho has had numerous chances to shine and has failed dismally almost every time. Quite simply, with our current system he is a luxury we cannot afford. Lamouchi‘s approach is all about ‘the sum of the parts’ and Carvalho’s work rate and lack of physicality is detrimental to this. Our current model concedes the lions share of possession to the opponent almost all the time and looks to hit teams on the counter. This approach has been successful a lot of the time this season our league position is testament to this and with a few quality additions will improve even further. Go back to the games v Leeds (H), Fulham, Brentford & Derby (A) to name but a few which proves possession wins nowt. Whether you like this style of football is entirely subjective, being brought up watching Cloughs teams I love it. Under BC we were the masters of counter attacking football, the only difference being the calibre of players we were watching was greatly enhanced.

Good post.

How is over 100% of your total turnover on wages alone not backing? Not to mention he made multiple expensive signings during his first time here.

Because it didn't buy us the players we needed for promotion. It bought us the players needed to turn from a L1 side to a top 6 one. We still needed further investment.

Because it didn't buy us the players we needed for promotion. It bought us the players needed to turn from a L1 side to a top 6 one. We still needed further investment.
In fairness, he has a point.

106% of a very average turnover doesnt compete with the big boys.

You can give as much credit for spending Vs income as you like, but you either compete financially with those who are where you want to be or you don't.

Ignoring the purchase of Carvalho which seems to have been agent inspired and the first season under Fawaz where we hadn’t got a squad, when was the last time a manager was properly backed?

Billy was allowed to throw some money at the squad first time around but the club choked when it mattered and has done ever since.

Spot on mate.

The key thing for me mate is that all our recent owners seem to back initially, but then shit-out when we're in a strong position ready to pounce.

Hell, just don't sell players like Osborn for 3m, who can cover Yuri, Silva, Diakhaby, Yates & Lolley, and then spunk most of that on 1 shit right back in Jenks.

Folk will say "we had to sell". No we didn't, not for 3m. We should have renewed his contract. That way he either stays, or we sell him for more, which means we may have been able to bring some quality here.

We've recruited some decent players, but how our recruitment division has actually operated overall has been beyond naive & short-sighted, and it's letting Lamouchi & the fans down big time.

Ignoring the purchase of Carvalho which seems to have been agent inspired and the first season under Fawaz where we hadn’t got a squad, when was the last time a manager was properly backed?

Billy was allowed to throw some money at the squad first time around but the club choked when it mattered and has done ever since.

The money Billy threw at the club the first time round was nothing compared to the second time and we had the square root of fuck all to show for it.

Debts totalling 24m and a wage bill running at 139% of income.

Poor old Fawaz made a vain attempt to dodge the embargo by stating in the Accounts that he would not be paying a dividend for that financial year but failed miserably.

The Club had been stripped bare; Fawaz did not have a pot to piss in; Billy took it with him in lieu of wages.

Oh for the good old days

The money Billy threw at the club the first time round was nothing compared to the second time and we had the square root of fuck all to show for it.

Debts totalling 24m and a wage bill running at 139% of income.

Poor old Fawaz made a vain attempt to dodge the embargo by stating in the Accounts that he would not be paying a dividend for that financial year but failed miserably.

The Club had been stripped bare; Fawaz did not have a pot to piss in; Billy took it with him in lieu of wages.

Oh for the good old days
HATER

So he’s beyond reproach, he can do no wrong?

jeez , ive been almost alone all season on him, one donk up front, watson playing as 5th defender, no pace, none of them can pass, cross or shoot, not even our better players and SL is clueless in forward play.

but, his job was the play offs and if he achieves it then he was/is proven correct no matter what crap he served up, the players despite thier poor quality bought into it and we cant deny have worked dam hard and fought for each other.

The time for criticism of our negative style was the first few months not at the end and 4 games away from success.

Fortunately the snowflakes and perennial doom merchants wont be at the games to transfer that onto the pitch

Getting back to Lamouchi and the task on Wednesday - the best thing he could possibly do is gee the players up and tell them to go for it. Play with confidence, be braver, try and go for damning win against a side that has nothing to play for, not a draw!!

If he goes defensive to secure that play off place, that for me spells the end of any hope we have of winning the play offs even if we do make it. You’ve got to instill a winning mentality into the players before these finals, or I think serious will be in the players minds before we play the big boys!

(Put this on the Swansea thread by accident)

Getting back to Lamouchi and the task on Wednesday - the best thing he could possibly do is gee the players up and tell them to go for it. Play with confidence, be braver, try and go for damning win against a side that has nothing to play for, not a draw!!

If he goes defensive to secure that play off place, that for me spells the end of any hope we have of winning the play offs even if we do make it. You’ve got to instill a winning mentality into the players before these finals, or I think serious will be in the players minds before we play the big boys!

(Put this on the Swansea thread by accident)

Could be argued that is the worst thing he could do. We've been pretty defensive all season and whilst we are on a poor run, does it make sense to go for a new attacking style in the final and most important game of the season?

If I were SL, I would be reminding the players of everything they have done well so far this season which has got us to this position and setting the team up accordingly. A few poor results shouldn't mean that they forget the things that have worked so well.

The worst thing he could do is put a similar team out as he did yesterday and set us up for a draw.