Barnsley club statement | Vital Football

Barnsley club statement

So Hull have not agreed to pay them for a player? They seem also upset about the likes of big clubs such as Wednesday and Derby getting away with cheating the system. Hopefully other clubs come out, including us in support of this statement, because we are getting the highest punishment possible for something we'll beyond our control due to one (or two) corrupt person while the cheating clubs are getting away with murder. The best result for fairness in football is Sheffield rightfully getting the points deduction they deserve and we get our deduction rescinded, and Barnsley stay up.

Well what a load of old TOSH. About as sour as a bottle of Bitter Lemon and sounds like they have no grace or respect towards there fellow professionals. They could seriously learn a lot from Little Wigan of how to conduct them selves like Paul Cook at the end of the Fulham match congratulated Luton/Barnsley in tough circumstance showed real dignity and RESPECT. Seem to remember before the Barnsley away 6 pointer there manager showing un sporting behaviour towards Little Wigan. Barnsley need to be very careful what they wish for cos life has a habit of kicking you in the teeth. Disappointed by them south yorkshire lot but not surprised because it seems to be in the BARNSLEY D.N.A...

Barnsley surely have no grounds for complaint if we do win our appeal as they have been in the bottom three since September and would have been relegated automatically if we hadn't been screwed over by our corrupt, gutless owners.

If what happed to us happened to a club like forest or Leeds. You bet your bottom dollar that all the pundits and media sources will be backing the club and the EFL would be very understanding. Sorry but it's a fact, there is a clear bias in punishment between bigger and smaller clubs. If we or another smaller club did what Wednesday did and did the exact same as Wednesday in regards to cooperation, I gaurentee we would of had a 21 point deduction months ago. Rotton to the core.

Failure to pay for a player when an installment is due is an insolvency event. I think it's made up because if it was true they would report it and Hull would go into receivership and get 12 points deducted.

Also whilst some good points are raised. They made several million pound losses in their last accounts. So a bit hypocritical. They will make a profit next years accounts due to player sales but their fans criticised us for selling players to make a profit!

Failure to pay for a player when an installment is due is an insolvency event. I think it's made up because if it was true they would report it and Hull would go into receivership and get 12 points deducted.

Also whilst some good points are raised. They made several million pound losses in their last accounts. So a bit hypocritical. They will make a profit next years accounts due to player sales but their fans criticised us for selling players to make a profit!
Gaurentee they would of reported I it they was bottom 3 and hill above them

Apparently they are seeking to be represented at our appeal as an interested party. I fail to see how they can be. Whilst I accept they would be affected by the result it isn’t a dispute between the two clubs as the actual offence has nothing to do with them as we are challenging the legality of the efl imposed penalty. I’m not sure what their argument would be - yeah we’ve been in the relegation zone for ten months but we deserve to stay up even though Wigan got ten points more than us and even though they had more points than we have now when they went into admin!

Regulations are open to interpretation given the pandemic. Whether we have committed the offence or not the imposition of the penalty on the 19/20 season is certainly up for debate.

12.3.3 Subject to the provisions of Regulation 12.3.4 below, where the Club becomes subject to or suffers an Insolvency Event, or the Board impose a deduction in accordance with Regulation 12.3.2:
(a) during the Normal Playing Season but prior to 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, the points deduction shall apply immediately;
(b) during the Normal Playing Season but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, Regulation 12.3.4 shall apply; and
(c) outside the Normal Playing Season, the points deduction shall apply in respect of the following Season such that the Club starts that Season on minus 12 points (including in the National League if appropriate).

As per (c) we are clearly outside the normal playing season - that should have ended on May 1st or at worst end of June given season runs July to June. We understood those conditions when entered the competition in August. Whilst I accept the season has been extended due to covid - a force majure event - the argument is it is outside the normal playing season, particularly in light of all other changes that have taken affect since. A QC could quite successfully argue this point - so whilst they state ‘normal season’ are games prior to play offs and they’ll argue that - has this actually been communicated or does this unprecedented event effectively null and void this? Effectively the argument is an interpretation of the regulations but don’t forget we aren’t convincing the efl of this but an independent chairperson. If the force majure event hadn’t happened the 19/20 wouldn’t be ongoing in July. I accept its not wiping the points and that we’d be screwed next season in the Championship with a points penalty next season but financially we’d be much better off and would allow us to be bought. Furthermore if they’ve incorrectly applied them should they have a second chance to reissue them when it’s the same admin???

If what happed to us happened to a club like forest or Leeds. You bet your bottom dollar that all the pundits and media sources will be backing the club and the EFL would be very understanding. Sorry but it's a fact, there is a clear bias in punishment between bigger and smaller clubs. If we or another smaller club did what Wednesday did and did the exact same as Wednesday in regards to cooperation, I gaurentee we would of had a 21 point deduction months ago. Rotton to the core.
Well said Franco, spot on.

Apparently they are seeking to be represented at our appeal as an interested party. I fail to see how they can be. Whilst I accept they would be affected by the result it isn’t a dispute between the two clubs as the actual offence has nothing to do with them as we are challenging the legality of the efl imposed penalty. I’m not sure what their argument would be - yeah we’ve been in the relegation zone for ten months but we deserve to stay up even though Wigan got ten points more than us and even though they had more points than we have now when they went into admin!

Regulations are open to interpretation given the pandemic. Whether we have committed the offence or not the imposition of the penalty on the 19/20 season is certainly up for debate.

12.3.3 Subject to the provisions of Regulation 12.3.4 below, where the Club becomes subject to or suffers an Insolvency Event, or the Board impose a deduction in accordance with Regulation 12.3.2:
(a) during the Normal Playing Season but prior to 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, the points deduction shall apply immediately;
(b) during the Normal Playing Season but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, Regulation 12.3.4 shall apply; and
(c) outside the Normal Playing Season, the points deduction shall apply in respect of the following Season such that the Club starts that Season on minus 12 points (including in the National League if appropriate).

As per (c) we are clearly outside the normal playing season - that should have ended on May 1st or at worst end of June given season runs July to June. We understood those conditions when entered the competition in August. Whilst I accept the season has been extended due to covid - a force majure event - the argument is it is outside the normal playing season, particularly in light of all other changes that have taken affect since. A QC could quite successfully argue this point - so whilst they state ‘normal season’ are games prior to play offs and they’ll argue that - has this actually been communicated or does this unprecedented event effectively null and void this? Effectively the argument is an interpretation of the regulations but don’t forget we aren’t convincing the efl of this but an independent chairperson. If the force majure event hadn’t happened the 19/20 wouldn’t be ongoing in July. I accept its not wiping the points and that we’d be screwed next season in the Championship with a points penalty next season but financially we’d be much better off and would allow us to be bought. Furthermore if they’ve incorrectly applied them should they have a second chance to reissue them when it’s the same admin???
Excellent post and if it was next season that the deduction would apply then whos to say we'd be the only ones with a deduction. Highly likely we wouldn't

Excellent post and if it was next season that the deduction would apply then whos to say we'd be the only ones with a deduction. Highly likely we wouldn't
Good point. You would have to think Sheffield Wednesday and Derby would have some kind of deduction next season not to mention other clubs who run into trouble. We are the tip of the iceberg. No crowds until October and even then reduced capacities, more clubs will go to the wall

Barnsley are clearly scared we are going to win our appeal and they are trying to shape the narrative of being the victim to try and pressure the EFL and get sympathy from the public.

I think the irony is hilarious, they moan about the EFL decision making but they are only celebrating staying up because of the EFL decion making. They are moaning about how terrible it is other clubs are making loses while they themselves announced over 3m in loses.

They will almost certainly will have had someone look into our case and see how likely it will be succesful, so the fact they put this out and are a bit desperate and panicky is a good sign for us.

They are a fkn bleating, cry baby set of sanctimonious shits.

OK now I’ve climbed down off the fence ...

Nixon called it spot on when they issued this statement in that they should have named and shamed Hull (if indeed it was Hull) who have defaulted on a transfer fee instalment.
In not doing so they are casting a slur on every club who has bought from them in the past couple of years.
Its known that we bought Moore from them and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they are putting this story about to make people ‘draw conclusions’ about Wigan Athletic and in some small way undermining any sympathy felt towards us by other parties.

Sly bastards

Apparently

I believe that they are....and they should be made to confirm it, rather than allow their statement to cast aspersions at other clubs.
As regards casting aspersions at other clubs, they appear to do little else these days.
Their only other past time seems to be anchoring themselves to a relegation spot pretty much all season long and then crying that it’s all some other club’s fault.

Think Barnsley will have made a few enemies with that statement, while they are right to call out the EFL for a lack of governance, think to accuse clubs of various irregularities without having the courage to come out and name them is wrong. We all know that there are cases against Derby/Weds that could lead to points deductions, but no other club has hidden behind statements to make thinly veiled accusations.

I for one am glad that our club and manager have acted with complete and utter class/respect towards all other clubs in our league, in what has been unbelievably trying circumstances for us all. Respect to Charlton as well, who have also acted with dignity, despite the knowledge that SWFC could have a points deduction that would save them from relegation.

Hadn't realised the reason why the suggestion is that Hull haven't paid up. Whichever one of the clubs is at fault here, the whole thing seems pretty tasteless on both sides, when you think that the fella innocently caught up in this has cancer to contend with.