Bands You Wish You hadn't seen... | Vital Football

Bands You Wish You hadn't seen...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
Spear of Destiny.

I wasn't a fan, but a mate was and they were playing at Rock City.

They were ear-bleedingly loud (and I've seen motorhead at Rock City) and I left after 2 1/2 songs.

This just reminded me of one New Year’s Eve in a local pub where the band, after every number went to the bar for a pint ( must have been part payment or something) All playing the right notes but not at the right time as the evening went on
Pleased I can’t remember there name.

This just reminded me of one New Year’s Eve in a local pub where the band, after every number went to the bar for a pint ( must have been part payment or something) All playing the right notes but not at the right time as the evening went on

I saw a local covers band in Newark who did an excruciatingly awful version of Teenage Kicks. The guitarist simply couldn't play the riff.

The delights of festival going is that for every good set by the Manics and Supergrass there's a Mel C debacle to endure.
At least some piss bottles got proper use during her ill thought out Sex Pistols cover of Anarchy in the UK

Roxy Music. We were so far away from the stage it could have been anybody singing. And by the sound of it, it probably was.
Oh, and Elkie Brooks. We left half way through the concert.

Ive seen Big Country in the original line up, and with Mike Peters filling the Stuart Adamson void.
We went to see Big Country at a relatively new venue in Wakefield. Sadly, unbeknownst to us Mike had decided to concentrate on his own stuff and jacked it in. The venue was shocking (Warehouse 23, it's called, a converted carpet store or some such big shop), with a really low ceiling, and the worst acoustics I've ever had the misfortune to experience. Added to that the new front man had only just joined them. I'm sure he must be more talented that he showed, but on the night he was actually reading the lyrics from an iPad strapped to his mic-stand!!

As an aside, if you haven't been, the Picturedrome at Holmfirth is a cracking place for a gig. They have some decent bands on as well (I've seen The Beat, Big Country, Lloyd Cole, The Alarm, Echo and the Bunnymen, China Crisis and a few more there). After the lockdown, obviously.

I walked out on the Damned at the Cambridge corn exchange, they were the main act being supported by the Ruts (who were brilliant), the Damned were utter shite but luckily paid for my own ticket so was happy to leave. Unfortunately at the same venue my mate treated me to tickets to see the Eels who he had mistaken for another band so I had to sit through it only for him to confess his mistake afterwards and admit just how bad they were. To be fair they are a tight band just a very obscure acquired taste. However every cloud has a silver lining and found the support act "Daughters of Davis" really good. As ever, so much talent out there that doesn't get the audience its deserves.

Jona Lewie. For starters, it was at a folk festival and Lewie is by no definition I know of a folk artist. Secondly, he'd done his back and was on strong pain-killers, which we suspected he had inadvisedly mixed with large quantities of something like vodka before coming on stage.

He was completely off his head and engaged in long, rambling monologues between the songs. When it came to his Xmas hit "Stop The Cavalry", he forgot the words and said "Oh, you sing it. You know the words better than me, anyway".

A truly chaotic and eccentric performance that made half the crowd leave in a very cross mood. I found it car-crash compelling but would probably not have wished to be there had I known!

I walked out on the Damned at the Cambridge corn exchange, they were the main act being supported by the Ruts (who were brilliant), the Damned were utter shite but luckily paid for my own ticket so was happy to leave. Unfortunately at the same venue my mate treated me to tickets to see the Eels who he had mistaken for another band so I had to sit through it only for him to confess his mistake afterwards and admit just how bad they were. To be fair they are a tight band just a very obscure acquired taste. However every cloud has a silver lining and found the support act "Daughters of Davis" really good. As ever, so much talent out there that doesn't get the audience its deserves.

I assume that was the original Ruts line-up? If so, one I would definitely have liked to see.

The Krankies maybe?

The Krankies maybe?

No idea what they were called, very odd night though, some chancers selling raffle tickets where the first prize (4 cans of Czech lager) was worth about the same as a ticket. Said chancers seen half an hour later buying beer at the bar for themselves from a pint glass full of pound coins.
Evening became even weirder when a 3 legged pit bull type terrier started sniffing round everyone.And the band....what’s the opposite of tight? Left early, haven’t been back! Before anyone says anything,no I’d only had 2 or 3 pints!

Faith No More at an arena in Sheffield. I like the group and i'm sure they played well but arena gigs are just a soulless, horrible experience.

Sleaford Mods at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall was a strange one too.