Bands You Wish You had seen... | Page 16 | Vital Football

Bands You Wish You had seen...

Saw Deep Purple Mark ll at Knebworth in 1985. They were trying to break the world record for the loudest concert ever that night if I remember rightly. It was a miserable day weatherwise. The only thing that kept me dry was the constant barrage of bottles being thrown that helped to keep the rain off you. Happy days!

It rained all day- absolutely p*ssed it down. Farmer's tractors had to pull the coaches out of the coach park at the end of the concert. Finally got home to Sleaford on the bus at 7.45am. Cracking concert- UFO were superb, Meatloaf got bottled off, I got to hear Mountain play Nantucket Sleighride live (a life highlight to this day!) and Purple were pretty good. DId I mention the rain.....

Seen Sabbath, Deep Purple but never got to see Led Zep.

For some reason never caught up ever with Robert Plant live either- that will change when Plant tours this Autumn- nearest I will get to see a Led Zep song live (assuming he plays a couple!) so I will take the chance

It rained all day- absolutely p*ssed it down. Farmer's tractors had to pull the coaches out of the coach park at the end of the concert. Finally got home to Sleaford on the bus at 7.45am. Cracking concert- UFO were superb, Meatloaf got bottled off, I got to hear Mountain play Nantucket Sleighride live (a life highlight to this day!) and Purple were pretty good. DId I mention the rain.....
Meatloaf was as dull as ditch water, of which there was a lot about! Saw UFO at Poole Arts Centre a couple of years earlier. A great gig. When I was at RP, aged about 14, a few lads went to see them at De Montfort, I think it was. I'd loved to have gone and was very envious. Saw Meatloaf at Portsmouth Guildhall not long after Knebworth. He was a lot better when everything was set up for him. My memory isn't what it used to be but was he just getting over a broken.leg when he played Knebworth? If so, can't have helped.

That must have been early or mid 80s maybe?
Saw Sabbath with RJD as lead singer at Leeds Queens Hall in the early 80, about 1982 if I am right. Queens Hall was a really grotty venue, but perfect for rock concerts! Saw Sabbath again, this time with Ozzie as frontman, at Leeds Arena a few years ago. A great night. Was a mad Sabbath fan. I have to thank their album We Sold Our Soul For Rock and Roll for that!

Being a little young to have seen the glory days of the mighty Zeppelin, the tribute band Coda certainly gave us a wonderful flavour of their brilliance on Sat night at Dartford.
An appallingly sweaty venue (air-con? wot's that??) just added to the authenticity! :rocker::guitar: