Ban on the Black Country dialect | Vital Football

Ban on the Black Country dialect

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
The P.C & Jobsworthy get crazier by the day! What are they going to do? Suspend or expel children for the way they speak

Primary school BANS the Black Country dialect, because it's 'damaging' to pupils and shows a 'decline in standards'

A West Midlands primary school has banned the Black Country dialect - because it believes it's 'damaging' to pupils.

Staff at Colley Lane Primary School have a 'zero tolerance' policy against local words and have even made a list of ten offending phrases.

They have banned pupils from talking or writing in their Black Country dialect - a decision which furious parents have branded 'snobbish'.

The controversial ruling was announced in a letter to parents, claiming the harsh crackdown would 'get children out of the habit' of speaking the way their parents do.

Outlawed phrases now include 'I cor do that' instead of 'I can’t do that,' and 'It wor me' instead of 'it wasn’t me.'

The letter, which was posted to parents last Thursday, said: 'Recently we asked each class teacher to write a list of the top ten most damaging phrases used by children in the classroom.

'We are introducing a 'zero tolerance' in the classroom to get children out of the habit of using the phrases on the list.

'We want the children in our school to have the best start possible: Understanding when it is and is not acceptable to use slang and colloquial language.

'We value the local dialect but are encouraging children to learn the skill of turning it on and off in different situations.'

Continued at:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/primary-school-bans-the-black-country-dialect--because-it-s--damaging--to-pupils-and-shows-a--decline-in-standards--144542450.html?.b=index&.cf3=Jumbotron&.cf4=3&.cf5=Yahoo+News.&.cf6=%2F&.ts=1384475099&.intl=gb&.lang=en-gb&.sep=table&.tsrc=samsungwn

Wor yam takin te pis ain't ya.

To be fair correcting language for a school is right, English is English and whilst nobody insists on the 'Queens' speech kids need to be taught to wrote and spoke proper.

Not to spoke proper is just laxy.

Hopefully we'll no longer have kids aksing for things either.

The final sentence says it all for me, I don't have a problum really. I'd question the parents being so twattish if the school is being snobbish.

They are there to educate and level the playing field, you talk in a different language at home, you talk in slang to friends, you use local dialect when appropriate. In school you speak properly, write properly and learn because that's how you git a job.

I get a great laugh reading the yam yam stuff hilarious...

As long as they dont write that way I dont see the issue... Let them speak however they want...
My mother actually thought me not to speak like my friends, if you have a proper Wicklow accent you sound like you're a bit slow... So my mom would say "hurry up get your words out"... So now I speak too fast for foreign people to understand and my accent is more Dublin than where Im from...

Theres an English women working with me here and I dont know what part her accent is but she sounds semi retarded...

kefkat - 15/11/2013 00:43

The P.C & Jobsworthy get crazier by the day! What are they going to do? Suspend or expel children for the way they speak

Primary school BANS the Black Country dialect, because it's 'damaging' to pupils and shows a 'decline in standards'

A West Midlands primary school has banned the Black Country dialect - because it believes it's 'damaging' to pupils.

Staff at Colley Lane Primary School have a 'zero tolerance' policy against local words and have even made a list of ten offending phrases.

They have banned pupils from talking or writing in their Black Country dialect - a decision which furious parents have branded 'snobbish'.

The controversial ruling was announced in a letter to parents, claiming the harsh crackdown would 'get children out of the habit' of speaking the way their parents do.

Outlawed phrases now include 'I cor do that' instead of 'I can’t do that,' and 'It wor me' instead of 'it wasn’t me.'

The letter, which was posted to parents last Thursday, said: 'Recently we asked each class teacher to write a list of the top ten most damaging phrases used by children in the classroom.

'We are introducing a 'zero tolerance' in the classroom to get children out of the habit of using the phrases on the list.

'We want the children in our school to have the best start possible: Understanding when it is and is not acceptable to use slang and colloquial language.

'We value the local dialect but are encouraging children to learn the skill of turning it on and off in different situations.'

Continued at:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/primary-school-bans-the-black-country-dialect--because-it-s--damaging--to-pupils-and-shows-a--decline-in-standards--144542450.html?.b=index&.cf3=Jumbotron&.cf4=3&.cf5=Yahoo+News.&.cf6=%2F&.ts=1384475099&.intl=gb&.lang=en-gb&.sep=table&.tsrc=samsungwn

Hopefully.

mike_field - 15/11/2013 02:38

To be fair correcting language for a school is right, English is English and whilst nobody insists on the 'Queens' speech kids need to be taught to wrote and spoke proper.

The final sentence says it all for me, I don't have a problum really. I'd question the parents being so twattish if the school is being snobbish.

They are there to educate and level the playing field, you talk in a different language at home, you talk in slang to friends, you use local dialect when appropriate. In school you speak properly, write properly and learn because that's how you git a job.

How people speak is of no concern to me, if I don't want to employ them, for whatever reason, I won't but everyone should learn to write properly. Writing in dialect is a common thing over here (Norway has way more dialects) and it causes problems for people later in life when they struggle if they have to write an official letter or document, purely because they have never learned how.

I've got a brummie accent. Some accents I like, some I dont, but dialect does piss me off a bit, it's just lazy.

Regardless of having an accent there is no excuse for not talking properly. saying things like 'yor' instead of 'you' and 'how am ya' instead of 'how are you' isnt quirky or friendly IMO, it just makes you sound like a bit thick.

I personally would not employ someone who did this. I work for an international company with a good reputation, ideally I'd want my customers, suppliers and associates to be spoken to with a proper english accent like the royal family have, but as a second best option I at least want people who can string a coherent sentence together.

I couldn't agree more James. I don't speak any foreign languages because English is the language of international business. If they try hard enough they can understand it, if not then they are just lazy.
However, dialect kills them and I genuinely have to translate the dialect used by some of my colleagues when speaking to Europeans.

Well well knocking the way me and my kids speak makes ma laugh tbh i suppose the scousers and cockneys are all perfect oh and the geordis's totalload of bollox, oh and if anybody wants to knock the way i or my family and freinds speak go back in your family tree's or recent family and see how they speak i bet they was not all perfect in dialogue, feckin disgraceful have a look how old black country folk have been talking with this accent,

Kiss my arse anybody that don't like the way i speak!

Oh here is another thing, was my families accent ok when my great gramndad fought in World War one and had his leg blown off?

Nothing at all wrong with that ban. The correct English should be taught, that is what they are at school to learn.

up to the individual then whether to use the correct form of English or local slang and dialect.

Nothing do goodie about that, they are at school to learn English, not Black Country, Geordie, Scouse, Brummie etc

mike_field - 15/11/2013 01:38

Your talking out of your backside mate :6: Have i upset the Randy Lerner brigade so my Black Country accent is being talked down upon i wonder :3: :19:

Listen here words on this screen knocking and mocking my accent means nothing in reality does it, i think the yorkshire accent is difficult to understand so too geordie but i respect there heritage i don't want to lose my accent its my heritage some of you are very double standards though i do not here people mocking pakistani accents or chinese should they lose there accents when learning english :3:

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 11:19

still a 'orrible accent 'ay it our kid?

Barney i will politely and i mean politely say i better not say what i want to our kid to your post your talking bollox our kid

clive its not an attack on the accent mate... you dont see news readers on the tv with black country, geordie , scouse or even brummie accents do you? Because no one else over the uk will understand what the bloody hell we are going on about...

Fear you think what you like matey but in reality we ain't all living the way these silly threads make out, we can all dream accents can be lost for some LOL never gonna happan mate

i employ people to work in care homes... i dont employ people that i cant understand, for the simple fact, if i cant understand them then how will a 90 year old with hearing problems understand them, or someone with learning dissabilites...

I don't care what anybody says mate about black country accent's i just find this funny tbh mocking and old accent thats been around a long time very poor tbh if YOU or any body do not like that so what i may not like the way you try and talk just saying like?

This thread is very unitelligent imo trying to ban an accent is like trying to piss in the wind it ain't gonna happan, nobody at school writes ''om gooin to the shop am yo'' but the fellow people freinds and family they live around causes the accent to stay its very simple tbh