Balogun | Vital Football

Balogun

That guy was a man mountain again today defence looked so solid today with him, seems to have a calming influence on rest of defenders...seemed get a tad nervy when he went off..hope he's available next game... fantastic 3points tho carried on from reading.... Massey header against post early doors lowe clean through later on shud have made it more comfortable....bad miss but great performance especially from Roberts ran himself into the ground!

That guy was a man mountain again today defence looked so solid today with him, seems to have a calming influence on rest of defenders...seemed get a tad nervy when he went off..hope he's available next game... fantastic 3points tho carried on from reading.... Massey header against post early doors lowe clean through later on shud have made it more comfortable....bad miss but great performance especially from Roberts ran himself into the ground!

Anyone who went have any info n how bad his injury looked? We need to keep him in the team at all costs

Apparently he was ill, rather than injured. Cook reckons he was sick at half time. Hopefully it's a minor bug and he's back next game. We've looked infinitely better defensively since he came into the team.

Seems to have a great attitude as well.

If (big IF) we stay up, surely we have to go all in to secure him on a permanent transfer. To say he's changed our season is not an understatement.

Last edited:
Apparently he was ill, rather than injured. Cook reckons he was sick at half time. Hopefully it's a minor bug and he's back next game. We've looked infinitely better defensively since he came into the team.

Seems to have a great attitude as well.

If (big IF) we stay up, surely we have to go all in to secure him on a permanent transfer. To say he's changed our season is not an understatement.
He is making a difference but Sam Morsy has been playing much better and Williams in deep midfield where he should be is working. With Moore stamping his authority up front that's four reasons why there has been a mini up turn in our fortunes.
Hopefully the attacking mids and wing backs can get some consistency going for the run in.

What would be the biggest challenge with signing him on a perm after this season? Being able to afford his wage demands or fighting off comp from other clubs?

What would be the biggest challenge with signing him on a perm after this season? Being able to afford his wage demands or fighting off comp from other clubs?
Possibly wages and ambition. I honestly never realised he was 31. He's at a stage of career where he's going to be looking at last 2 or 3 year deal. He will want it at a decent level also. He's put himself in the shop window and impressed so I would imagine we would be well down the line I terms of wages and the security we could offer him.

The best chance os of we were to prioritise him like we did Powell last summer and focus a decent bit on weekly wage coupled with the good feeling he's developed for the club. He may value that at this stage of career I hope.

The bad thing with covid as we've list momentum in terms of him being in and around squad and the financial landscape is shifting in the football world also.

Balogun has made such a positive impact on our season.It's no coincidence that since he came in results have improved and we were the form team in the division over the past few months.He looks a class act,reads a game well,has a calming influence on the whole team and has put in some crucial blocks/tackles during his time here.He also suits Kipre as he can then play his preferred RCB role,were he looks far more comfortable.
We have dropped over 30 points from winning positions this season.If we had managed to get Balogun in the summer I'm very confident we wouldn't have dropped anywere near as many as that and would be sitting more comfortably in mid table,and who knows even higher.
It seems unlikely due to maybe interest from bigger clubs with higher wages but I would love this lad to sign a contract with us and form a partnership with Kipre.With Morsy and Williams in CM and Moore up front we have an excellent spine to the team.
I hope we do all we can to secure his services without breaking our wage budget.

I don’t think we’ll be signing anyone in summer. We’ll be selling players and for once I won’t be complaining about it one bit.

I don’t think we’ll be signing anyone in summer. We’ll be selling players and for once I won’t be complaining about it one bit.

There will obviously be a drive to lower the wage bill and keep spending down. But with a number of lads leaving after the end of their contracts and possibly some sales i think there could be some incomings on frees or loans. Balogun could be one of them if we stay up and his wage demands are reasonable. I don't expect us to bring in many but due to Baloguns impact i think we'll do our best to make it happen if it is a viable option.

It goes without saying a number the youth team players will be getting promoted to the first team squad.

There will obviously be a drive to lower the wage bill and keep spending down. But with a number of lads leaving after the end of their contracts and possibly some sales i think there could be some incomings on frees or loans. Balogun could be one of them if we stay up and his wage demands are reasonable. I don't expect us to bring in many but due to Baloguns impact i think we'll do our best to make it happen if it is a viable option.

It goes without saying a number the youth team players will be getting promoted to the first team squad.
The youth getting opportunities would be no bad thing and long overdue IMO

I think Balogun has to be very careful with his next move. For a 31 year old he has played very little football in his career. Apart from 1 season 5 years ago for Mainz in the Bundesliga he has never played more than 50% of games in a season and spent most of his career in the lower leagues of Germany which is far weaker than The Championship.

We are thr first club to really put faith in him as a regular starter in his career. He could go somewhere and earna little bit more but end up benched yet again. He didn't play any football for over 12 months before joining us.

I think the chances of a lucrative Summer move wage wise are over. I hope knowing how well he has been treated and that he is a regular starter, if we do offer a contract he may sign.