Bale : what might have been? | Vital Football

Bale : what might have been?

Spursex

Alert Team
Gareth Bale hat-trick leaves Tottenham wondering what might have been had Jose Mourinho trusted him more

VIEW 2 COMMENTS

newFile-1.jpg
Getty Images
By
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
13 hours ago

Gareth Bale’s superb hat-trick downed sorry Sheffield United to leave Tottenham torn between future optimism and thoughts of what might have been.
Bale made it eight League goals in as many appearances and nine in just eight top-flight starts this season, as Spurs beat the Blades 4-0 to move back within five points of fourth-place Chelsea.
The Welshman and Dele Alli were restored to Ryan Mason’s starting XI following last weekend’s insipid defeat to Manchester City in the Carabao Cup Final, which prompted stinging criticism from Jamie Carragher and Harry Kane to say they should have been “braver” on the ball.

Man City and Sheffield United are worlds apart, of course, but Bale added a ruthlessness and vibrancy to Tottenham’s forward play that was missing last weekend – and for the vast majority of the Jose Mourinho era.

He opened the scoring with a trademark finish, flicking past the onrushing Aaron Ramsdale after a lovely scoop from Serge Aurier.
His second goal, after the interval, was made by Son who set Bale clean through against Ramsdale from almost inside his own half before the loanee finished confidently into the top corner. He made it look easy.
Bale made the win safe with a low finish after more good work from Aurier before Son’s curled home an inch-perfect effort off the far post.
Son added a brilliant fourth, having earlier had a goal ruled out by the VAR for a fractional offside.
The hope for Spurs fans – and perhaps chairman Daniel Levy – is that Bale will finish the season strongly and return next season under a new manager who is willing to play him.

It is, however, impossible not to look backwards and wonder where Spurs might be now if Mourinho had trusted the 31-year-old loanee. And indeed what might have been if Mason had been braver at Wembley last weekend.
Spurs boost top-four hopes
If Ryan Mason could have hand-picked two League games to begin his spell at interim head-coach, he might well have opted for Southampton and Sheffield United, statistically the two worst sides in the Premier League since the turn of the year.

The Blades arrived in north London already relegated, with their season long-since stripped of any real meaning.
Nonetheless, there was plenty to admire in the way Spurs dismantled the visitors after half-time in an attacking display with more movement and urgency than at any point in the death-throes of Jose Mourinho’s reign.
A significant reason for Mourinho’s downfall was his side’s inability to maintain a lead, with Spurs constantly shipping second-half goals when leading at half-time.
The Portuguese blamed his players, insisted this failing was in spite of his tactics, not because of them, so Spurs’ second-half display here felt significant.
Leading 1-0 at the interval, they continued to push for more goals and were even trying for a late fifth, with Sergio Reguilon firing wide from Kane’s pass.
Even if Mason could not have hoped for better opposition, he still deserves credit for taking six points from two League games to leave Spurs with an outside chance of nicking fourth place.
If Manchester City beat Chelsea next weekend and Spurs beat Leeds, the gap will be down to just two points.
Dele looks sharp on return
Dele Alli’s third League start of the season meant this was only the second sighting of Tottenham’s ‘BASK’ front four, also including Kane and Son.
A Dele renaissance under Mourinho was frequently threatened but never felt truly likely.
With Mason at the helm, things feel different for Dele and his display against the Blades offered hope that he could finish the season strongly – and begin to rediscover himself before next season.
Sporting a new haircut of dreadlocks, Dele initially looked a little rusty and not quite on the same wavelength as his team-mates.
But he soon grew into the game and was full of intelligent runs and smart touches. Spurs have missed his intricacy on the ball and his movement in the final third, which created space for his teammates.
Ultimately, the only way this front four is going to click is by playing together regularly and Mason is unlikely to want a change his system after such an impressive win.
If nothing else, the prospect of the ‘BASK’ front four in the remaining four games of the season is something to keep Spurs fans engaged and optimistic, even if they fail to catch the current top four.

Shock - Euro's nearly here and Bale is putting in a shift and playing well.

We can't afford to even get into the shoulda, woulda, coulda mindset. Just draw a line under it and look forward.

The big question now is about what happens past these next 4 games with Bale.

Also, what happens now Southgate has an extra 3 players in his squad for the Euro's. What happens if Grealish or Maddison can't get their fitness. Can Dele nick one of those 3 extra slots?

The cast off's return, simple Gareth excellent game 3 great finishes and as for Dele sitting deeper/pushing into spaces though ring rusty looked what we have been missing.
Though he did not score "Our Arry" and off his normal was allowed to give their CD's something to think about, all this because of Dele and Gareth and their individual movements, very well played the both of them.
Add very well done to Ryan hopefully seeing that.

I think in Jose's defence, anytime we saw Bale on the pitch for the first 4 or 5 months since he came back he looked like he could barely run properly never mind put in the type of shift that he did yesterday.

The entire team playing on the front foot certainly helps Bale (and others) and the failure to recognise that falls directly at Jose's feet.

Also, what happens now Southgate has an extra 3 players in his squad for the Euro's. What happens if Grealish or Maddison can't get their fitness. Can Dele nick one of those 3 extra slots?

Alli is involved in the first half, fades in the second against the bottom team but you think is a consideration for an England recall. Hilarious. Lingard stands head and shoulders over Alli in terms of performance and consistency over a period, criteria worthy of selection for the Euros. Alli hasn't done that for us for three years. Grealish on one leg is still a class above and > than Alli.

Alli is involved in the first half, fades in the second against the bottom team but you think is a consideration for an England recall. Hilarious. Lingard stands head and shoulders over Alli in terms of performance and consistency over a period, criteria worthy of selection for the Euros. Alli hasn't done that for us for three years. Grealish on one leg is still a class above and > than Alli.

I wondered where you were.

Umm! me thinks match fitness could be involved ere, thus fading, nout to do wiv opposition, just a thought.

Dele really grinds my gears. It's not a lack of effort on his part, it's how incredibly sloppy his play is. We're all aware he has talent but seriously, on that showing he's nowhere near ready for an England call up.

I wondered where you were.

You are perhaps one of the few on here who has. I thank you. I have chosen to distance myself from this forum, as there are a few posters on here that openly show a sanctimonious attitude. The wrongs they choose to advocate are another example of the society we live in today. I will not have my values and what is right, compromised, by these arrogant few and those who pat them on the back.

You are perhaps one of the few on here who has. I thank you. I have chosen to distance myself from this forum, as there are a few posters on here that openly show a sanctimonious attitude. The wrongs they choose to advocate are another example of the society we live in today. I will not have my values and what is right, compromised, by these arrogant few and those who pat them on the back.
Is that not a sanctimonious post ?
Surely everyone is entitled to their own views or to agree with other views, .

Pretty sure (like 10000% certain) that Bale's been pretty fit for some (like a loooong) time now.

When important peeps see players performing like superheroes in training, and never see the game pitch, well... questions begin to be asked. You can only lie directly into the bald-face of reality so many times before you start to look kooky.

And then get fired.

Last edited:

Rich I love the banter buddy, stay strong my friend. Keep posting we need all angles covered!!!

It
Rich I love the banter buddy, stay strong my friend. Keep posting we need all angles covered!!!
Its what the forum is for .
Throwing your toys out of the cot is not a good example of the society we live in today .

I tried to engage in a conversation with him ,,some time ago , and got this in reply

“I tried what I thought was an adult conversation with you before, but you chose to be condescending. On a previous occasion, you showed me the two face nature of your personality. There will not be a third time. I do not deem you worthy of engaging on my unique insights on matters Spurs.”

Maybe others will be able to tell me if that is a tadge sanctimonious?

I looked past that and threw out an olive branch around Christmas time which just got ignored .
I agree with you US , we enjoy the banter , and need all angles covered .

So .... Richmond , get your fingers back on the keyboard and get back on here .
We are all Spurs supporters on here .
All opinions are worthy .
It’s called ‘debate ‘

As I was away during my covid 19 illness and then weeks to get motivated and restart, I must have missed whatever issues were happening?

Anyway, as I'm still not 100%, all I can do is wish you all the best and hope that whatever issues you had have now passed.

Good to see you back.

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy. I have not always followed this and been too honest and undiplomatic. On this occasion I am going to reserve my honesty.

Sometimes people stating what they feel or believe may come across to the reader, if they have differing views, as dishonest.

That could be down to the fact that they may actually be dishonest, or may not have the vocabulary or writing skills to get thier point over, or the reader misinterpreting their message, or the reader fundamentally not agreeing with their point of view.

Not easy ....as we cannot look into each others eyes online, as the eyes tell us a lot about the meaning of what they are saying, and we cannot hear how they say it, so do not detect the intonations of their voices.

That is why posts and emails can become so emotive, be misinterpreted and lead to all sorts of reprisals.

Written word is the poorer way to communicate

In my opinion of course..