Bad news for Buddha & travellers in general | Page 26 | Vital Football

Bad news for Buddha & travellers in general

Point was that this is a long standing situation in all societies and the question of 'how many people do you know' would be different at any time in history.
Therefore we need to go after all people carrying out and/or covering up offences irrespective of their background or position of power. Especially not use it as a divisive political argument.

We need an enquiry with teeth to sort this out.

Totally agree with that.

Sadly he won't see this 😞 but I am aware that Catholics abuse children too (in their case I believe that they can do what they want, as long as they repent their sins??). That was a long time ago, though, on a much smaller scale (in this country at least), and the Catholic church has made efforts to stop the abuse, but it is similar all the same.

The problem is that there are 2 different arguments to defend the individuals. Firstly, it has nothing to do with religion and they are only just-happen-to-be's that happen to have access to vulnerable children, and the second argument (often from the same people!) is that other religions also do the same!?!

And the other argument is that it's not much to do with religion as such, though religous practice can enable. It's more about the power of adults over children, the undervaluing of certain children and the darker side of male sexuality.

And the other argument is that it's not much to do with religion as such, though religous practice can enable. It's more about the power of adults over children, the undervaluing of certain children and the darker side of male sexuality.

Far too rational and reasonable an argument there, jo. Can't see that holding much sway....

Duluth, Grandma's Marathon
Johnboy Smith 31 from Kent, UK placed first in the wheelchair division with a time of 1 hour, 25 minutes and 45 seconds, way clear of the rest of the field. From the Traveler's community. Shot when he was 16 and lost the use of his legs. I have absolutely no interest in getting into the ins and out of that. What's happened since is the story.

Duluth, Grandma's Marathon
Johnboy Smith 31 from Kent, UK placed first in the wheelchair division with a time of 1 hour, 25 minutes and 45 seconds, way clear of the rest of the field. From the Traveler's community. Shot when he was 16 and lost the use of his legs. I have absolutely no interest in getting into the ins and out of that. What's happened since is the story.

I dont suppose he will be doing any dodgy roof repairs
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/tunbridge-wells/news/pensioner-targeted-in-roof-repair-scam-249265/

You've lost me there.

I'll explain it for you, jokerman.

valencia was attempting to suggest that dodgy tradesmen and travellers are synonymous, and that because the Johnboy Smith you mention has lost the use of his legs that Shirley means that there'll be one less dodgy travellers being a dirty roofer.

Though I reckon you knew that already. ;)

I volunteered for handing out water at mile eleven. I saw this man come flying through far ahead of the pack. I learned he was from the UK. Great, I thought. Then I learned he was from Kent. Even better. People on here would be interested to know. I looked him up and learned he was a Traveler with a backstory. Well there's a nuisance, I thought. Any post will become a bone of contention between the -see, they're not all bad- crowd and the -don't try to deflect from the main story- crowd. Then I thought, I can't not mention a big part of who he is. Then I thought, maybe I'll just not post it. And then I thought, but it IS an interesting story and most people on here would just be interested in the story for itself.

TBF, after a shaky start, the ceasefire is holding, and the usual antagonists are acting with admirable restraint, primarily, I suspect, because it is just a pretty cool story to see someone from our neck of the woods overcome adversity and make the headlines in Duluth MN of all places.