Bad Actors | Vital Football

Bad Actors

Trev_GFC

Vital 1st Team Regular
I watched Troy again last night. Obviously the whole movie is about a stupid myth, but that’s not the issue here. What caught my attention here was Orlando Bloom’s terrible acting. He’s just dreadful. Conjures up images from that dirge of a movie, Pirates of the Caribbean.

To me he’s right up there with Daniel Radcliffe.

Agree? Any others?

I watched Troy again last night. Obviously the whole movie is about a stupid myth, but that’s not the issue here. What caught my attention here was Orlando Bloom’s terrible acting. He’s just dreadful. Conjures up images from that dirge of a movie, Pirates of the Caribbean.

To me he’s right up there with Daniel Radcliffe.

Agree? Any others?

I've got a feeling that Orlando Bloom might come from Canterbury. Or lived there at some time. Maybe my sister said she knew him. I'm not sure, can't remember. Might have just made this up!

I've sometimes enjoyed contrasting the acting talent on Eastenders (if yer mrs insists on watching it then you have to invent ways to make it tolerable!). Some of the actors on there are really good, whilst others are really bad. I suppose the most obvious is the two Mitchell brothers. Ross Kemp was beyond terrible but the bloke who plays Phil is, I think, pretty good. June Brown (Dot Cotton) is a brilliant actress but there are quite a few on there who are really quite poor..

Anything with Gene Hackman in is usually very good.
He hasn't done many duffers.

The other night, I recorded a film mainly because of the cast.
Sean Penn
Ray Winston
Javier Bardem.

It was absolute tosh but the acting was good.

As for bad actors, Keanu Reeves has got to be up with the worst.

My wife watches some Australian soap opera that must take the prize for worst acting, I can't remember what it's called I'll have to check with her.

My wife watches some Australian soap opera that must take the prize for worst acting, I can't remember what it's called I'll have to check with her.

Prisoner Cell Block H was so very bad that I actually got into watching it for a while years ago.

I think I must have been completely stoned out of my mind back then. I have seen it in more recent times and simply couldn't bear it. Truly awful!!

Years since I watched it but Charlie was immense in Casualty. The funniest, worst acting I can think of.

I am sure I read that he is apparently one of the highest paid (if not THE highest paid) actor at the BBC !!

Looking mystified and scratching his head seems to be his forte, but then Roger Moore didn't do bad out of eyebrow acting.

Not an Eastenders fan but Phil Mitchell always reminds me of Mr Potato Head and is about as animated, which is particularly funny when he is trying to be threatening.

Any American actor attempting a British accent, Don Cheadle in Ocean's eleven and the bloke who plays Daphne's brother in Frasier for example.

Anything with Gene Hackman in is usually very good.
He hasn't done many duffers.

The other night, I recorded a film mainly because of the cast.
Sean Penn
Ray Winston
Javier Bardem.

It was absolute tosh but the acting was good.

As for bad actors, Keanu Reeves has got to be up with the worst.
Keanu Reeves is awful. I have only watched one of his films all the way through and that was Speed. His acting in the remake of "The day the earth stood still" was so bad I turned it off after 20 mins or so

Any American actor attempting a British accent, Don Cheadle in Ocean's eleven and the bloke who plays Daphne's brother in Frasier for example.

If we flip that, I wonder if the North Americans feel the same about British actors ?

Is the American accent easier to copy ? I dunno, just asking, generally. When I watched The Wire, I honestly thought that both Dominic West and Idris Elba (neither of whom I had heard of previously) were American. Their accents seemed, to me anyway, to be totally authentic American. I wonder if Americans felt that way ? Jokerman, did you watch the series ? If so, may I ask your opinion on the accents ?

As Dudley Sutton once told me, directors make films not actors. What appears to be bad acting is almost always directors telling them how to portray the character.

Someone else with a very low "duffer" rate is, IMO, Leo DiCaprio.
Wolf of Wall St, Blood Diamond, Inception, The Aviator and Revanent were brilliant but his part in The Departed is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen (although Titanic was one if the worst)
Odd how in probably more than half of his films, he dies 😕

Agree that Reeves can appear quite wooden or emotionless but in some roles (Matrix, John Wick) that actually works

On the subject of accents it's amazing what we used to find acceptable. Take a random look at Talking Pictures and any older film depicting characters from other countries and regions of the UK, beyond ridiculous.

On the subject of accents it's amazing what we used to find acceptable. Take a random look at Talking Pictures and any older film depicting characters from other countries and regions of the UK, beyond ridiculous.
You mean the old
Ellow da mon .
And
I theeenk I’m goin da die.
I love all that, particularly the German caricatures.
For you Tommy, ze war iz over 😂