Away game | Vital Football

Away game

mehmets_curlies

Vital Squad Member
I am hoping to persuade my better, Charlton supporting, half to go to an away game, but I want to make a weeornd of it. So, can any of you regular travellers recommend a decent one. Somewhere with decent pubs and eateries, an no local thugs would be idea. Obviously, Luton is out. Cheers

I enjoyed Portsmouth with the wife last year staying in Southsea .However while I never came across any trouble I believe they have been known to get a little rough at times .October not a bad time of year too .Found Southsea good for Restaurants as well .

I am hoping to persuade my better, Charlton supporting, half to go to an away game, but I want to make a weeornd of it. So, can any of you regular travellers recommend a decent one. Somewhere with decent pubs and eateries, an no local thugs would be idea. Obviously, Luton is out. Cheers

Oxford sounds ideal to meet your needs Nice city and close to cotswolds. Did a weekend there last year. Can recommend MacDonald Randolph hotel a number of nice pubs in the city and a nice pub just outside of the city along the river to eat a Sunday roast at (trout inn) and a decent indian (chutneys) too.

Shrewsbury also a pretty nice town as someone else has mentioned. Went to a friend's wedding there a couple of years ago and it was a nice town. Obviously a bit further than Oxford though which would be a good starter journey.

Last edited:
Oxford was another place I took the misses .Locals are no trouble .Quality city to visit all be it a little more expensive .We stayed at one of the cities Universities which provided bed, breakfast and parking near the centre at excellent rates .Well worth a weekend visit in my view .Written while Ak posted the above .

How about Charlton away ;)

I've always found Doncaster away quite good in my younger days with plenty of lively pubs, not sure on the restaurants though.

Pompey and stay in new forest

ME7 beat me to it. Recently had a terrible walk along the Thames from Greenwich to Thames Barrier, mostly detours, especially a trek alongside the Blackwall Tunnel approach road. Then on to the Thames Barrier only to discover he museum and tea room were closed for renovation. Finally on to Charlton station by the football ground through choking pollution and detritus.

Yes, a weekend in Charlton - lovely.

I'd actually recommend Shrewsbury but I'm a bit geeky and like the history and countryside. My missus and I stayed in the pub that Charles Darwin had occupied for a couple of nights on his way to his round the world trip on the Beagle. Lovely pubs/castle/river walks. Bit of a long trip though. For close at hand Oxford is lovely. The ground in near the notorious Blackbird Leys estate but it's nowhere near as bad as the media made out. Loads of nice villages/pubs to stay in around Oxford even if you don't want to stay in town.

That's where I'm going for my weekend Gills trip this year.

If you hate your wife and want a divorce, take her to Luton.

Best of luck.

Millwall away for the cup, and tell her it's an early-ish Christmas present :-)

AK, my daughter worked at the Trout when she was at Uni there. Beautiful location. Excellent walk from town and back (or stay in nearby Wolvercote or other villages).

They do a good range of Real Ales there too so that must have been a plus for you. :-)

I'd actually recommend Shrewsbury but I'm a bit geeky and like the history and countryside. My missus and I stayed in the pub that Charles Darwin had occupied for a couple of nights on his way to his round the world trip on the Beagle. Lovely pubs/castle/river walks.

Lots of associations with Darwin in Shrewsbury, 58 but, are you referring to The Lion in the town centre? Great wine shop opposite too !

AK, my daughter worked at the Trout when she was at Uni there. Beautiful location. Excellent walk from town and back (or stay in nearby Wolvercote or other villages).

They do a good range of Real Ales there too so that must have been a plus for you. :-)
The wine selection was top notch.

Cheers folks. As we live in Welling, I think a weekend in Charlton wouldn't go down to well. I have bad memories of Pompey and the 357 mob, will never go near Luton and I think she would throttle me if I told her I was treating her to a trip to Millwall. Shrewsbury sounds like top choice, or Oxford.

All I can say is that Oxford (fans) must have changed a lot since I used to visit back in the 70’s and 80’s. Many coach brickings and fights that I had to steer clear of.

Mind you, not many places that didn’t happen back then I suppose...

Lots of associations with Darwin in Shrewsbury, 58 but, are you referring to The Lion in the town centre? Great wine shop opposite too !

Yes, the Lion. The Wine shop did nothing for me but I think it will be the deal breaker for AK. :-)

Send us a match report AK.

All I can say is that Oxford (fans) must have changed a lot since I used to visit back in the 70’s and 80’s. Many coach brickings and fights that I had to steer clear of.

Mind you, not many places that didn’t happen back then I suppose...
That would have been at the Headington ground. New one is a three quarters built "modern" concrete block next to a plastic shopping centre/leisure park (similar brew to MK franchise and new Cov ground). Only need to be there for a couple of hours. Rest of Oxford is great.

I actually liked the old ground, a hotch-potch of little stands.

That would have been at the Headington ground. New one is a three quarters built "modern" concrete block next to a plastic shopping centre/leisure park (similar brew to MK franchise and new Cov ground). Only need to be there for a couple of hours. Rest of Oxford is great.

I actually liked the old ground, a hotch-potch of little stands.

Dunno about the term Headington. I knew it as the Manor Ground.
Proper old school. Open terrace at one end and half way down one side where we were usually herded to. I remember one time (probs late 70's under Gerry Summers) where the crowd was given as a bit over 4k, and probably 2 or 3 thou was Gills. Good times. But I think it kicked off that day too. Pretty sure it was that game our coach got bricked. Probably other coaches too. The worst part of following football back then.

OSK, the old Manor Ground was in a part of Oxford called Headington - I know it well. You`re right about the Oxford fans back then, they had more than their fair share of idiots. Oxford v Swindon games were always heavily trouble laden.....

Obviously, you don't have to stay in the actually Town/City of the team we're playing. Bristol Rovers away and a stay in Bath or maybe even Wells is a possibility as is Durham for Sunderland...

I went there in the early 80's (1-1l), and our coach dropped us off, iirc, on a housing estate. We had tp walk through an alleyway and got bricks and all sorts lobbed at us. In the ground a couple of Oxford fans tried to infiltrate, got found out and slapped about a bit!