Away form versus Home form a' la Play-offs | Vital Football

Away form versus Home form a' la Play-offs

dedmans

Vital Reserves Team
What will happen is to be awaited but The old Harry way of absorbing pressure and then speed up the wings on the break has proven to get best results playing away this season.
As our best players are Lowe and Curtis at hurting teams I think that is how we should approach the play-offs.
I would not be upset with a draw at home but we are letting too many into our net when we are pushing forward at Fratton.
We will see.

We've got the ability, pace and goalscoring threat to cause problems on the break, for sure. However, I'd worry about us soaking up too much pressure as I think Sunderland will take chances if they have too many.

Hopefully, Sunderland's poor form continues, Charlton are the side I really fear though.

I tend to agree. 'dedmans'. Fortress Fratton seems to have morphed into buy one get 'two' free. I know you could argue that our away form more than makes up for this, but it ain't the way it should be. This faux Fortress Fratton act has been going on for quite a few seasons in my opinion, and needs to change.

As for our chances against Sunderland. As I said in the playoff thread, the law of averages suggests that they are due a win despite their supposedly bad run of form. Personally I think its too close to call. Both sides are are pretty equally matched in my opinion. If our away form is maintained, well, we just could nick it, but I wouldn't want to put money on it.

As for Charlton, well yes, they've come good, albeit a little late.. but.. they are right up for it, and that is the attitude we'll need if we are to gain promotion. Desire and guts will be needed to achieve promotion, because in reality there's not one playoff team that soars above the others.. PUP PPU.. :thumbup::clap:

It is weird that we really can't replicate the away form at home. But to be fair, that has been the case for most of our time in the lower echelons.

Is it still the weight of expectation? Surely not? Surely by now these players aren't intimidated by the Fratton crowd? I could get that in L2 when most players play in front of low single-digit thousands, but they recently played at Wembley & seemed Ok.

I would love to understand the psychology of the thing!

maybe the opposition are inspired by the large crowd and raise their game but from what I have seen our midfielders don't seem to be direct enough with diagonal balls and we get caught on the break.

I'm rather glad we didn't replicate our home form away!

Ha ha.. me too Lemmi.. League 2 would soon be staring us in the face if that were the case. Pretty damn quick as well..

As for Tim wanting to understand the psychology of the thing!

I'll answer.. me too on that as well Tim. I haven't got a clue. There's got to be something going on there.. said Corny.. stating the bl00dy obvious.. :hmmm:

As I've said many times over the years though.. football ain't an exact science, if its a science at all. There are so many variables in the mix. Players, managers, fans, stadiums, weather.. and of course pressure and expectations..

Now, after that bit of brain storming I've got to go and lay down with a cup of earl grey tea and a digestive.. I'm shaking! :grinning:

Last edited:
Well, away form wasn't shown on Saturday. In fact, I thought we were poor, very poor in a game that wasn't that good at all.

Home form MUST be good on Thursday, or that's that!