Average Age | Vital Football

Average Age

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
Have seen a few comments on here and on the FB group about the average age and I was interested to find out if it was right. I did my own analysis as i'm bored between contracts ATM:

The squad this year, as of today has an average age of 23.91

The squad last year, as of today had an average of 24.92

A few caveats:

1) i've taken out Roman Campbell as wikipedia suggests he was on loan for almost all of the first half and then released in Jan. Also taken out anyone we sold in the August/Sept transfer window 2019.

2) It's hard to do an absolute direct comparison, because some players we had for just half a season - do you weight them for 0.5, or just take their age the same as the other's? For simplicity, I've not bothered weighting anything.

3) I made sure to be careful in my calculations/copying from wikipedia that the players would have been a year younger last year.

I was a bit surprised that the average age hasn't actually gone down as much as I thought it might.

My guess is that while the squad is just a little bit younger, the first team starting XI will be much younger, if I cared to do that analysis.

See workings below, in case anyone wants to peer review (pick holes):

This year's squad

Jack Bonham - 27
Ryan Jackson - 30
Connor Ogilvie - 24
Stuart O'Keefe (vice-captain) - 29
Jack Tucker - 20
Zech Medley (on loan from Arsenal) - 20
Matty Willock - 24
Kyle Dempsey (captain) - 25
Dominic Samuel - 26
Jordan Graham - 25
Trae Coyle (on loan from Arsenal) - 19
Joe Walsh - 18
Robbie McKenzie - 22
John Akinde - 31
Alex MacDonald - 30
Josh Eccles (on loan from Coventry City) - 20
Jacob Mellis - 29
Vadaine Oliver - 28
Scott Robertson (on loan from Celtic) - 19
Henry Woods - 21
Christian Maghoma - 22
Declan Drysdale (on loan from Coventry City)- 20
Thomas O'Connor (on loan from Southampton)- 21
Average Age - 23.91304

Last year's squad

1 JACK BONHAM (GK) - 26
2 LEE HODSON - 27
3 BRADLEY GARMSTON - 25
4 STUART O’KEEFE - 28
5 MAX EHMER (c) - 27
6 CONNOR OGILVIE - 23
7 BRANDON HANLAN - 22
8 MATTHEW WILLOCK - 23
9 MIKAEL MANDRON - 24
10 MIKAEL NDJOLI - 21
11 REGAN CHARLES COOK - 22
12 BARRY FULLER - 35
14 ALFIE JONES - 21
16 OUSSEYNOU CISSE - 28
18 MARK BYRNE - 30
19 MARK MARSHALL - 32
21 JOE WALSH (GK) - 17
23 ALEXANDER JAKUBIAK - 23
26 HENRY WOODS - 20
27 JACK TUCKER - 19
Ben Pringle - 31
John Akinde - 30
Thomas Oconnor - 20
Jordan Roberts - 25
Jordan Graham - 24
Average Age - 24.92

I saw that on the f/b site.

I commented that actually to come down by a year on average is pretty huge.

Everyone still here from last year pushes the average age up by 1 each. So any incoming players have to be 2 years younger on average just to keep the figure the same.

To come down by a year means the average age of those coming in is over 2 years younger than those that departed (on average).

I saw that on the f/b site.

I commented that actually to come down by a year on average is pretty huge.

Everyone still here from last year pushes the average age up by 1 each. So any incoming players have to be 2 years younger on average just to keep the figure the same.

To come down by a year means the average age of those coming in is over 2 years younger than those that departed (on average).
Not sure that works, given we only kept about 5 players.

We could add in the fact that one of our more senior players, literally like the 4th oldest is out for the season. So that puts it down a bit too.

Ogilvie always surprises me. I think of him as highly experienced because he plays with the maturity and intelligence of a 30+ year old. How is he only 24?

Ogilvie always surprises me. I think of him as highly experienced because he plays with the maturity and intelligence of a 30+ year old. How is he only 24?
He also has a terrible head of hair and unfortunately looks like a 45 year old, well beyond his years (I know I can't talk - for those of you who have met me).

I think that's the main contributing factor to people mistaking his age, rather than his ability.

Last edited:
He also has a terrible head of hair (I know I can't talk - for those of you who have met me) and unfortunately looks like a 45 year old. I think that's the main contributing factor to people mistaking his age, rather than his ability.

Funny and true