Autographs 6 | Vital Football

Autographs 6

Steve McClaren the obvious one at 10

Steve Richards at 11...........I know we had a Steve Richards mid 80's but I assume that's another one

Ah......it will be the same Steve Richards as he and McClaren were at Hull together...

Are these from that cracking 5-0 demolition of them in the League Cup in 1980??

Mick Harford hat-trick if memory serves

No. 4 must be Nick Deacy - started out with Merthyr Tydfil, long before my time here though.

5 - Garreth Roberts

Did Dennis Booth refuse to sign?

No. 4 must be Nick Deacy - started out with Merthyr Tydfil, long before my time here though.

5 - Garreth Roberts

Did Dennis Booth refuse to sign?
You’re asking me to remember 40 years ago what happened! Otherwise both correct

Ah......it will be the same Steve Richards as he and McClaren were at Hull together...

Are these from that cracking 5-0 demolition of them in the League Cup in 1980??

Mick Harford hat-trick if memory serves
Yes August 1980. Realised England coach & Imp connection could have been one clue but Richards was who I meant

This was indeed v Hull 9 August 1980 1st leg of League Cup which was won 5-0 with Harford hat-trick & goals from Bell & Shipley in front of 3538. Duly won away leg 2-0 with Harford again scoring both. Note the attendance at Hull was lower than the 1st leg hmmm. Not sure I saw many better centre forward starts to a season than that. By game 4 Micky had scored 8 goals out of 10 we scored.
Players not mentioned
2 Craig Norrie
3 Gordon Nisbet long serving player also at WBA & Plymouth
14 Brian Marwood later to be capped by England.
Manager at the time was Mike Smith (9) who was previously manager of Wales & later went back to manage Wales as well as Egypt.