Attending Games Next Season | Vital Football

Attending Games Next Season

Hi, Just wanted to give a quick into. I will say this straight away and admit that I am a season ticket holder for the rugby and have been for the best part of 20 years. However I have over the years attended quite a number of Latics games whenever I could with my dad, this stemmed from when my teacher in Year 3 who was a huge Latics fan would give out free tickets and that was my introduction to Latics. I think my first game was against Plymouth in 2002 or 2003 if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately over the last few years circumstances have meant it's not always been easy for me to attend Latics matches due to shifts and family commitments etc but I have always looked out for the results with an interest and I genuinely was shocked and annoyed with what your previous owners did and the way the EFL treated the club.

Anyway I have recently changed jobs which means that my weekends from now on will be practically free and I will no longer have to work night shifts which makes mid week games a lot more possible for me so I am considering attending Latics games again, I haven't been to one for about 4 years now. But I just have two questions really, firstly what stand would people recommend I sit in? I used to sit in the South Stand years ago as it was the cheapest and secondly even though I am a rugby fan will I be welcome to attend?

You may have problems if you wear your warriors outfit but otherwise and IMO - all supporters are welcome. Also, many Wiganers support both clubs. South (Leam Richardson stand) is Ok but I would recommend Boston, good atmosphere but keep away from drummer nearer 'away' stand if you care for your hearing and sanity

You may have problems if you wear your warriors outfit but otherwise and IMO - all supporters are welcome. Also, many Wiganers support both clubs. South (Leam Richardson stand) is Ok but I would recommend Boston, good atmosphere but keep away from drummer nearer 'away' stand if you care for your hearing and sanity

I wouldn't turn up wearing my Warriors gear haha but thanks for the reply though. I was already considering the Boston Stand as when I have attended a few England matches at Wembley I have always found that sitting on the sides at a football game is better.

I wouldn't turn up wearing my Warriors gear haha but thanks for the reply though. I was already considering the Boston Stand as when I have attended a few England matches at Wembley I have always found that sitting on the sides at a football game is better.
We dont call it boston stand , and so long has you wont mind the new blue and white seats that should be in place replacing the pink ones
You will be fine
Plus make a change seeing a crowd on at the football stadium

You’ll be more than welcome …..but join the intelligentsia (miserable old sods) in the West stand …for a start you won’t be blinded by the sunshine on a sunny day …and you can practice your grumbling at great length….but keep the noise down as many of us like to have a nod after ten minutes ….none of that loud clapping and Bloody caterwauling gooin on over here 😠

We dont call it boston stand , and so long has you wont mind the new blue and white seats that should be in place replacing the pink ones
You will be fine
Plus make a change seeing a crowd on at the football stadium

Honestly the seat colours really doesn't bother me and I have said this at the rugby to a few people who get annoyed about it. At the end of the day Latics own the stadium so they can do what they want with it and additionally it is starting to look a bit tired so new seats will help improve the look of the place. And I don't mind a bit of banter about crowds etc as long as it is in good nature 🤣

Honestly the seat colours really doesn't bother me and I have said this at the rugby to a few people who get annoyed about it. At the end of the day Latics own the stadium so they can do what they want with it and additionally it is starting to look a bit tired so new seats will help improve the look of the place. And I don't mind a bit of banter about crowds etc as long as it is in good nature 🤣
I was thinking you might be muttywhitedog from cockney latics sunderland and a wurrior fan on a wind up

Honestly I'm not 😂 from what I've seen on Twitter Sunderland fans have a weird obsession with Latics
Thats because they are shit and jealous of wigan athletic being where they are has to where we are champions

If you want atmosphere, a well populated space with folk of various ages, go the East Stand, if you want to sit with lots of old people who do nothing but sit, moan and wave their pipes around, go the West Stand, if you want to sit with a load of kids and have an entire row to yourself, go the South Stand. Personally, I couldn't imagine sitting anywhere other than the East, but that's just me.

Enjoy!

Welcome Mike. It's great that you've decided to come along and hopefully you'll be one of many new fans coming down next season.

Most of the chanting comes from the northern section of the East Stand. I've always sat in the West and wouldn't think of moving. We mainly like to grumble and tell the opposition manager to get back in his box - important stuff like that. I agree with you that football isn't as good to watch from behind the goal, but that's personal choice.
I highly doubt you would get a great deal of trouble from anyone for liking rugby. Those that would give you grief are the type that would likely do so for looking at them the wrong way anyway. We've always been a welcoming family club and many people seem happy to parade around the stands in Liverpool or Man Utd gear without issue

Wear what you want at our games...im going to the Magic day out at Newcastle and I'll be wearing my latics top.
I'd disagree with that. I want anyone coming Latics to have a good experience. No one has a problem with rugby fans or fans of anyone/anything coming to Latics games. However, if you wear a Warriors top to a Latics match then like it or not you will gain dirty looks and a few choice words from passers by (probably worse to be honest depending on wear you sit.). The same as you would expect if anyone dared wear a Bolton shirt in the home end of a Latics match (which I've never seen for obvious reasons).

Welcome Mike. It's great that you've decided to come along and hopefully you'll be one of many new fans coming down next season.

Most of the chanting comes from the northern section of the East Stand. I've always sat in the West and wouldn't think of moving. We mainly like to grumble and tell the opposition manager to get back in his box - important stuff like that. I agree with you that football isn't as good to watch from behind the goal, but that's personal choice.
I highly doubt you would get a great deal of trouble from anyone for liking rugby. Those that would give you grief are the type that would likely do so for looking at them the wrong way anyway. We've always been a welcoming family club and many people seem happy to parade around the stands in Liverpool or Man Utd gear without issue

Thanks Kendal Blue, I really am looking forward to getting down for more games next season. I think my main concern more than anything would be how I’d be received if I let it slip I’m a season ticket holder for the rugby, looking at some posts on Twitter there are a few choice words used to describe rugby fans. But likewise some rugby fans have no doubt said similar things about football fans.

Are you gooin‘ just fo’t chauve ‘em or what Hindley ? 😄

No mate, lifelong rugby fan due to grandad and dad dragging me all over Lancashire and Yorkshire in the 60s in the back of an Austin A30 van. No conflict of interest though I'm 100% Tic.

Thanks Kendal Blue, I really am looking forward to getting down for more games next season. I think my main concern more than anything would be how I’d be received if I let it slip I’m a season ticket holder for the rugby, looking at some posts on Twitter there are a few choice words used to describe rugby fans. But likewise some rugby fans have no doubt said similar things about football fans.

Welcome back to the best family club in the land Mike