Attendances - The Best Run For 65 Years | Page 2 | Vital Football

Attendances - The Best Run For 65 Years

Great stats and thanks for posting.

There is only a very slight dampener (which doesn't surprise me with the run we've had).

This season home attendance average (so far) is 9069
Average away end this season 880

So our average home end so far this season is 8189

Last season
Average home attendance 9005
Average away end 427
Our average home end last season was 8578

So, IF this carried on as we are this season, we will see a reduction of just under 400 home fans compared to our title winning season.

Our attendances this season has increased due to the doubling of the away end, not an increase in the home end.

We are only mid season and we may significantly increase the home end as the season progresses. Time will tell.

With Portsmouth, Rotherham and Doncaster still to come shortly there is a very good chance of 3 9000+ gates particularly with the latter to a chance of 10000+.

Quite remarkable times - season tickets of last year was to go by may again be released in February which may provide a bit of direction to figures for next season.

With Portsmouth, Rotherham and Doncaster still to come shortly there is a very good chance of 3 9000+ gates particularly with the latter to a chance of 10000+.

Quite remarkable times - season tickets of last year was to go by may again be released in February which may provide a bit of direction to figures for next season.

I think we may have a second half season surge similar to last 2 seasons and attendances increase post Xmas- Blackpool on Saturday looks already like it may be 9,000+ and Donny/Rotherham will be full away ends. Donny particularly (as a Saturday) may be 10,000.

I think we may have a second half season surge similar to last 2 seasons and attendances increase post Xmas- Blackpool on Saturday looks already like it may be 9,000+ and Donny/Rotherham will be full away ends. Donny particularly (as a Saturday) may be 10,000.
I thought Donny was on Good Friday?

There is only a very slight dampener (which doesn't surprise me with the run we've had).

Last season
Average away end 427

So, IF this carried on as we are this season, we will see a reduction of just under 400 home fans compared to our title winning season.

Our attendances this season has increased due to the doubling of the away end, not an increase in the home end.

We are only mid season and we may significantly increase the home end as the season progresses. Time will tell.
Have we had more games this year where the Stacey West was just away fans which puts a limit on the total number of home fans?

Last season
Average away end 427

I might be wrong, but isn't the drop in the home figure partly a function of the increase in the away numbers? As in the number of seats allocated as home sections being affected by size of away allocation and level of segregation. Hence the discussions about increasing ground capacity.

Anyway which ever way you look at them the figures are phenomenal. As you say, I think they are likely to hold up for the rest of the season, and hopefully beyond!

I also believe it is 42 league matches (43 if you count the play-off match v Exeter) in a row that we have had 7,500+ Imps in the ground as well.

I think the last game we didn't was the Newport home match in January 2017.
The Exeter play-off semi-final is not included within my stats, by the way. If anyone wants to include it, obviously those numbers are even larger.

I might be wrong, but isn't the drop in the home figure partly a function of the increase in the away numbers? As in the number of seats allocated as home sections being affected by size of away allocation and level of segregation. Hence the discussions about increasing ground capacity.

Anyway which ever way you look at them the figures are phenomenal. As you say, I think they are likely to hold up for the rest of the season, and hopefully beyond!
I would imagine so, yes. I suspect we've had more teams this season given all of the SW than the whole of last season - and that's with Donny, Rotherham, Portsmouth, Coventry etc all to come.

Last season, that 9k home figure was probably about the maximum we could get and likewise the 8.5k this season is about the maximum as well I imagine.

Following the Blackpool game, all the facts given in the opening post have increased by one.

That's a valid point and may have had some impact although that has only happened 3 times this season (Posh, Ipswich and Sunland). It is likely a combination of that, ticket uncertainty and poor results.

Last season
Average away end 427

decent analysis............food for thought.

"And likewise for non league clubs being promoted into the League. The likes of Forest Green and Salford are very much still non league clubs. "

This is possibly unfair of me given the time some of these have now been in the league, but i still regards the likes of Morcambe, Crawley,Cheltenham,Fleetwood and even Burton as non league teams just enjoying their time in the sunshine whilst i can look at the national leagues and think of about thirteen teams who will always be league teams in my eyes just down on their luck including phoenix teams like Hereford and Darlo. Totally unfair, league positions dont lie but perception is difficult to overcome.

Totally unfair, league positions don't lie but perception is difficult to overcome.

Yes, your perceptions can depend on how old you are. Non-league teams start for me at Peterborough, Oxford, Cambridge, Hereford etc.

Not just in football. Each sport also has its "golden age" ... the way things were when (or soon after) you were first aware of it.

I still regards the likes of Morcambe, Crawley,Cheltenham,Fleetwood and even Burton as non league teams just enjoying their time in the sunshine whilst i can look at the national leagues and think of about thirteen teams who will always be league teams in my eyes just down on their luck including phoenix teams like Hereford and Darlo. Totally unfair, league positions dont lie but perception is difficult to overcome.
I think the acid test will come for some of these clubs when the money man disappears. Clubs like Crawley, Forest Green, Fleetwood and a few more have been washed ashore on Football League Island on a tidal wave of cash from someone's obsession. Burton are slightly different because they won their FL place because of the Manchester United game (as did Exeter regain theirs); however, I still find it hard to believe Burton will be a League team in future - they just don't have the support to sustain it. Morecambe were one of the last clubs to make it without serious investment, and it looks like they are on their way down this season. Probably never to return.

There is definitely a timescale during which a 'former League club' morphs into a 'non-league club'. I think we were on the point of becoming a non-league club when salvation came our way from the Southern Hemisphere. I remember thinking of Workington and Southport as non-league in the 80s, certainly within ten years of leaving the FL, so perhaps that is about right.

Yes agreed. And staying fulltime helps preserve "a league club" nature.
And I think the likes of Barrow and Workington and Southport went part time upon losing their league places whereas both in 87 and the latest spell we did keep going as a "proper club".

On this subject, it's interesting to mention Barrow who are currently leading the National League. Considering they've been non-league since 1972, if they do get promoted will they be regarded as a non-league team who have managed to get into the league? Or conversely, as they had previously spent 50 years in the league could they still be counted as 'a league team down on their luck'?

Yes, your perceptions can depend on how old you are. Non-league teams start for me at Peterborough, Oxford, Cambridge, Hereford etc.

Not just in football. Each sport also has its "golden age" ... the way things were when (or soon after) you were first aware of it.
I agree about Hereford bring non league lol

Having visited the grounds of Hereford, Barrow, Southport & especially Workington in recent years, it once again makes me so grateful to be able to watch the imps in league football. It could so easily have been us playing in the Northern premier league with crowds of 500.