Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bergwijn

• Scarlett

• Gil

• Total voters
A v.good player flirting below exceptional, who goes missing. Not much heading ability to speak of, and is piss easy to bully off the ball. At times, unconvincing in 1 on 1 situations and his control could be brushed up. A few areas to improve to bring him up to your exceptional level.

This has been Son’s best ever season for us and he has become the first player in eight seasons to out-score Harry in the Premier League.

In Spurs terms this season it isn't difficult given the rollercoaster of performances we have had to label scoring 21 goals without one penalty as being exceptional.

However, as has been discussed many times, beyond scoring he offers not very much at all, but even so, for a player with some obvious weaknesses, his goal-scoring feat and sharing the golden boot, is definitely pretty 'exceptional'..

This has been Son’s best ever season for us and he has become the first player in eight seasons to out-score Harry in the Premier League.

In Spurs terms this season it isn't difficult given the rollercoaster of performances we have had to label scoring 21 goals without one penalty as being exceptional.

However, as has been discussed many times, beyond scoring he offers not very much at all, but even so, for a player with some obvious weaknesses, his goal-scoring feat and sharing the golden boot, is definitely pretty 'exceptional'..

That is where I disagree with the excellent, great and exceptional words used on this forum, none of them correalate with as you say obvious weaknesses. Eradication of weakness is a must for the high praise terminology to be appropriate. Son hasn't accomplished that.

That is where I disagree with the excellent, great and exceptional words used on this forum, none of them correalate with as you say obvious weaknesses. Eradication of weakness is a must for the high praise terminology to be appropriate. Son hasn't accomplished that.

It's just absolute vs relative comparisons. Both are needed. The one to measure progress toward and the other to measure progress in terms of improvement.

You have to allow for both while using your own preferred method.

I think what we have seen is that when Kane doesn't play well or isn't influential, we are playing with 10 men. Any team that plays with 10 men in the Premier League is going to suffer.

Also, there have been plenty of matches in the second half of the season when Kane hasn't been influential, but overall we have still played well, often won and sometimes won easily.

What we are seeing this season is that we are no longer as dependent on Kane as we used to be. In fact, Son is our go to man now.

That's not to say that when he's on his game he isn't still a phenomenal player. He clearly is. And the team is much better for it. Let's hope that next season, with a good rest, a full pre-season and a reboot of his mental demons that we can get the old Kane back. I'd like to see some competition for his (and Kulu/Son's) place though.

I would say the same with Son if he doesn't score he often doesn't affect the game. We have just been lucky that for once we have had 2 WC players at the top of there games playing for us

Well he offered 2 assists less than Kane, but I do know what you're saying. He is rarely the assister to the assister and all that. For me, Sonny has been stuck in that left channel too long. He needs to play across the line where he will show for the ball all over the place.

What needs to happen with Kane is less pitch time. He needs to start being the first player subbed and should start other games from the bench. Then we might see him supporting his team mates again with some actual graft. Conte must be quite disappointed how Kane set his stall out, probably a little shocked with someone who has a big reputation for being a model pro. He is playing so within himself.

Whilst I would love to see Eriksen playing in this setup, I know it will never happen with the current Kane and Son in the same eleven. They just wouldn't adapt and make up for the lack of Hojbjerg grafting.

Best attacker should really be more than just goals although goals and assists makes a compelling case. But there are elements of attacking play that are less obvious.

Son might still be our best attacking player this season but is it so cut and dried and overwhelming when other aspects of attacking play are considered ?

Kane played 8 more games in the season and I seem to remember Son perhaps being subbed off to rest him maybe more than Kane was. This is not based on any data, just my perception.
But it looks like Kane has the superior minutes on the pitch contribution. So on quantity he has Son beat.

Best attacker should really be more than just goals although goals and assists makes a compelling case. But there are elements of attacking play that are less obvious.

Son might still be our best attacking player this season but is it so cut and dried and overwhelming when other aspects of attacking play are considered ?
Unless you go on actual stats alone it's always likely to be subjective and may also be influenced by each fans favouritism for certain players.

Back to the title of the thread , and not a discussion of Son being a poor defender , he was our best attacker .
If the thread was titled “Who was our worst defender “…….maybe Son would win that one as well .
But it wasn’t !!!!

Back to the title of the thread , and not a discussion of Son being a poor defender , he was our best attacker .
If the thread was titled “Who was our worst defender “…….maybe Son would win that one as well .
But it wasn’t !!!!

The title isn't which attacker scored the most goals. It's Attacker of the season. Which is a broader question and could include all aspects of attacking play. In which case.....I don't know. I voted Son but maybe I should have given it more thought.

The title isn't which attacker scored the most goals. It's Attacker of the season. Which is a broader question and could include all aspects of attacking play. In which case.....I don't know. I voted Son but maybe I should have given it more thought.

Libra? Second guessing every decision.

Obviously you are right mate , if it was who scored the most goals , it wouldn’t have been much of a vote !
I voted Son because he caused more problems for defences with his runs from deep , and into the space behind the defence , even if he didn’t always get the pass he deserved , he made the space for others .
I’ve played against players that make those runs and it is a nightmare to play against . I got pulled from left back to the penalty spot , only to find their right back strolling into the space where I should have been !!!!!
Luckily the players I were up against weren’t as fast as Son .

I lost count of the amount of times where I wrote after 15-20 mins that the reason why we were camped in our own half was because of the front three. It got better when we transitioned from Moura to Kulu but I don't think it drastically improved with Kane and Son.

What is interesting is that Kane knows what he should be doing but refuses to do it whereas Son (and Moura) are willing workers but have no clue how to do it.

Apart from Kulu, I think it is hard to give any credit to our forwards for their defensive contribution this season, especially when you benchmark them against Watkins, Firminho, Ings and all those other really hard working forward. We don't even compare.

Saying that, you'd rather have our two when we have the ball and that is more imoprtant.