Athletes and protest/activism | Vital Football

Athletes and protest/activism

villabrownie

Vital Queen
Hi friends! For those of you who don’t know, I’m an academic researcher in the States. I'm starting this thread because I need help. I am working on a paper about athletes who use their platforms and celebrity to advocate for social or political causes. Most of the examples I've found have been about American athletes, such as Colin Kaepernick and LeBron James and, going back some years, Carlos and Smith, etc. I’ve seen some work on Barcelona/Spain’s national team and the Catalan region as well. Most of my searches are turning up the same stuff over and over so I’m moving to crowd sourcing in hopes you have some ideas!!! I’d love any suggestions for people or topics I can research more about. I’m also happy to clarify more but I don’t want to overwhelm with details. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide J

Thank you all for these excellent suggestions! I tried to like them all but I kept getting linked to weird ads so I am now just saying thank-you this way :) These are perfect for my project--I really appreciate your help!

Also Villa have protested against violence for years. Well, they don't like to kick the ball towards the keeper of the oppo at least.