At least Holy's top of the league | Vital Football

At least Holy's top of the league

itstimupnorth

Vital Youth Team
According to D3D4Football on Twitter he's made the most saves in top 4 leagues in England

Well done to him, but this actually provokes more questions:

First about what's in front of him that allows the opposition to get so many shots away

And what's his percentage of goals conceded against shots made compared to other goalkeepers; that's probably a better guide as to who is the best goalkeeper.

Looking at the most saves table above and adding goals conceded gives a close approximation of shots faced (doesn't allow for defenders saving on the line)
Holy faced 188 shots and saved 73.93%.
O'Donnell faced 174 shots and saved 70.68%.
McLaughlin faced 139 shots and saved 81.29%.

He was also top (of League One) for most of last season, according to The Times' football supplement.

Some of it is definitely our system, because we allow the opposition so much of the ball in central areas outside our own box that shots are inevitable.

I assume it's a combo of our midfield not having the same quality to challenge other midfields, and a deliberate choice (like Dyche's Burnley) to allow low-percentage shots from far out rather than "forcing" teams to create better chances.

He was also top (of League One) for most of last season, according to The Times' football supplement.

Some of it is definitely our system, because we allow the opposition so much of the ball in central areas outside our own box that shots are inevitable.

I assume it's a combo of our midfield not having the same quality to challenge other midfields, and a deliberate choice (like Dyche's Burnley) to allow low-percentage shots from far out rather than "forcing" teams to create better chances.

Agree with this.

I notice the Zakuani is also joint top in the top four divisions for blocking shots with 32.

Thta remark about Zakouani does not surprise me, his basic defending is top class. People used to employ the term stopper to describe a centre half, who did just that, stopped the opposition. He's no great shakes in possession but his single minded determination to block out forwards, stop shots and important passes, clear the ball upfield, or into touch is beyond reproach. He must be very frustrating to play against.

Agree with the comments about Zak, top quality defender IMO. He may not be a fancy play maker but he`s inspirational, amazing at threat recognition and effectively breaks up lots of attacking plays. Like everyone else, he may make an odd mistake, but he`d be the first name on my game sheet every single week.

Tomas Holy says in an article (KM Kent online - today) that he is a perfectionist. That comment is unsurprising as Tomas seems to be very hard on himself during a game; maybe it explains why he seems to be, very much, a "confidence player". I rate Tomas very highly (no pun intended) and we`ve all seen how good he can be - so come on Tomas, you were deservedly MOM v Barnsley, don`t be so hard on yourself and let`s see your A-game more often.

Hadler is tall also. Obviously isn’t going to be used in goal, so maybe we can convert him to centre back? :LOL: