Aston Villa vs Everton Saturday 18th September 17:30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Everton Saturday 18th September 17:30

JNB90

Vital Squad Member
I appreciate it's a bit early, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the selection headache for Dean Smith.

We're at home against 'lesser' opposition - which begs the question, will we stick with a back 5? And how do Bailey and Buendia intergrate? Can we push Ollie out wide? Is Ramsey now undroppable? The curse of having a squad eh!

Quite confident about this one for some reason.

I appreciate it's a bit early, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the selection headache for Dean Smith.

We're at home against 'lesser' opposition - which begs the question, will we stick with a back 5? And how do Bailey and Buendia intergrate? Can we push Ollie out wide? Is Ramsey now undroppable? The curse of having a squad eh!

Quite confident about this one for some reason.

Lesser than us or Chelsea?
Everton have made a decent start to the season so think it will be a tough game. We do seem to have a good record against them though, so I share your optimism. Just think the performance on Saturday (despite the result) will give us some confidence going into this one.

Yes I think our record against them, and the the performance Saturday, plus having a very good looking bench is giving me a worrying amount of optimism.
They dont have a £100m striker and I think Villa park evenings are something that brings the best out of us.

Lesser than us or Chelsea?
Everton have made a decent start to the season so think it will be a tough game. We do seem to have a good record against them though, so I share your optimism. Just think the performance on Saturday (despite the result) will give us some confidence going into this one.

No lesser as in shite...but clearly (at least you'd hope) easier game than away at Chelsea against Lukaku and co.

i dont think deans got the know how, if he sticks to experimenting. it could be awhile getting points, he as to play the players on form , mings needs a rest, bring him down from the clouds, make it as simple as possible not complicated,.seanie

WOT i WOULD DO. I put that in capitals because I don't think DS or anybody else on here would go for it.

We have a defence capable of keeping a clean sheet. I wouldn't mess that up with any of this 3 at the back nonsense. Konsa and Mings is too good a partnership in central defence to stick an average Tuanzebe between them.

We have 3 wingers who can make things happen. We don't want them sitting on the bench, as in last Saturday's match. Play 2 of them and replace one by the third later on.

So, no 3-5-2. It's still worth trying Ollie and Danny up front. So, 4-4-2.

Martinez
Cash Konsa Mings Targett
Traore SJM Luiz AEG
Ings Watkins

No Buendia? No, if he goes of on his travels he can wait to get back. I might play Nakamba instead of Luiz. I'm playing Traore instead of Bailey because he knows our setup better; sub Traore for Bailey after 60 minutes. I'd be ready to sub one of the front 2 for Archer after 60 minutes.

I expect us to go back to 4-3-3 with the same flat midfield. I feel we only went 3-5-2 to match Chelseas system as Dean likely worked out we'd outwork them in MF. I also think the 3 man backline was an attempt to match Lukaku's physicality directly with Axel so Konsa and Mings could focus just maintaining their positioning and defending oncoming attackers.

Just my theory.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Watkins start vs. Everton and Ings to drop to the bench. With Bailey and Buendia/Bert on the wings.

Spanish waiter said b4 tonights game v Burnley that Calvert-Lewin could be out for 3-4 weeks .. as if anyone believes anything they say
Haha true.

But Richarlison looks lost upfront.

Without their main man, we might revert back to 4 at the back. Hmmm.

Haha true.

But Richarlison looks lost upfront.

Without their main man, we might revert back to 4 at the back. Hmmm.
Burnley have been kicking lumps out of them tonight, so they may be feeling a little sorry for themselves, especially if the score says at it is.