Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky | Page 36 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky

We also only have 2 players in the box for open play crosses, usually Ollie and Bert.

It’s no coincidence that we score more goals when we are getting 4-5 players in the box versus just 2-3. Some games you can’t allow for time to get players in the box because you allow for defending players to get back too, but it’s a similar trend to last season when we did this.
Yes it's getting very last season at the moment, but with a keeper who makes "that" save, which we didn't have for half of last season. Minus Jack we are a bottom half team with a more resolute defence. Plus a chaser up front

Despite playing well in the first half and looking the better footballing team, I couldn’t see us creating enough chances to win. That Nuno’s team would take a different approach in the second half was obvious to me but alas, not to Dean & co. I said I’d take off Trez or Traore at half time, both completely ineffective for different reasons, and put Davis on - if only to upset Nuno’s expectations and give their central defenders something else to think about. As usual we did the unimaginative changes and Davis was on far too late with Ollie out wide, oh dear!

Yes it's getting very last season at the moment, but with a keeper who makes "that" save, which we didn't have for half of last season. Minus Jack we are a bottom half team with a more resolute defence. Plus a chaser up front

I’m just watching MOTD and the point you made in your post. Ollie is holding back on the edge of the box, along with three midfielders.

He needs to be in the mixer, even if just for disruption, but he’s more likely to score or get an assist from being 6 yards out flicking it on rather waiting in the edge of the box.

Agree, but what chance have we got with DS. It's like trying to convert the Pope to Islam.

I like what Brendan Rodgers did yesterday. First half, Burnley had them pressured. Second half, change of tactics, Leicester pushed 10 mtrs further up the pitch and pressured Burnley. So from 1-0 down at half time, they won 1-2.

How many times have we done that this season?

That is why Brendan is Brendan and Dean is Dean.

Despite playing well in the first half and looking the better footballing team, I couldn’t see us creating enough chances to win. That Nuno’s team would take a different approach in the second half was obvious to me but alas, not to Dean & co. I said I’d take off Trez or Traore at half time, both completely ineffective for different reasons, and put Davis on - if only to upset Nuno’s expectations and give their central defenders something else to think about. As usual we did the unimaginative changes and Davis was on far too late with Ollie out wide, oh dear!
72 mins the commenter said Davis was going to come on for trez 77 mins he comes on wtf takes so long

Great to see some semblance of balance in the debate Divine! A bit harsh swearing and being so dismissive of other posters comments but glad to see you’re feeling a bit more positive about the progress we’re making. It’s not all hunky-dory though. Plenty still to improve upon but as you imply, plenty to be encouraged by. (y)

I was being my usual “boring” sarcastic self. I don’t blame you for not seeing what we “anti-dean” guys see as all you keep looking at is the table and ignoring other problems. We are seeing problems that need to be addressed asap instead of waiting till the season ends because our 2021 form has been terrible. I disagree with those who criticise Dean and want him sacked as it is premature to do so. We have improved our defence this season immensely. I can give Dean until the end of next season to now focus on improving the team by getting our team to be as less dependent on Jack as possible while attacking and being creative.

I don't see a CF mate, he's possibly a Vardy, we play him as a target man and he isn't
I see a terrific centre forward, the best we’ve had for years and he formed a great partnership with Jack. Comfortable on ball, looking for little pass and goes and holds it up well, can score with head and either foot. Where is the connection from Trez and Traore? Nothing. He’s feeding on the same scraps as Wesley last season in a system that is screwing the whole team.

He won't win us the league mate like Withe did. I just think people are getting carried away with the hype.
I like him and for where we are he's very good, he has some of everything and for his first season he's done well
Come on 57! I think Withe had plenty of support around him haha!

It’s funny reading some of the posts over the last couple of games as this time last year we were cack. Way off Sheffield utd and wolves were the top club by a country mile in the west mids.
Is it not a good thing that we have now overtaken both clubs inc many more in such a short time that when we don’t beat them we moan at a wasted opportunity to challenge the European spots, which I still can’t believe we are still actually challenging for.
Well done Deano on Taking us back into the top half of the prem with the pleasure of knowing we will still be init this time next year with may be an even better squad to take us higher, compared to teams like Sheffield, Newcastle, wba ,who would love to be in our shoes.

Come on 57! I think Withe had plenty of support around him haha!

To be honest, comparing him to a hold-up player like Withe is a bit silly because Withe was the best at that.
People are talking about bringing in Tammy so where would he play? He'd play down the middle and Ollie would be out wide. That's how much of a Peter Withe he is. Peter was a Donkey compared to Ollie but as a CF Withe would knock him into a cocked hat. Totally different players.

Watkins is a decent player but he isn't a Peter Withe or a Gary Shaw, he has bits of both of them..

Just watched that bit where Konsa hit the bar there are 9 wolves players in the box and just Mings and Konsa in there for us, Its no wonder we can't score.

We have one striker and 5 midfielders outside the box
I'm thinking are they worried about their lack of pace if there's a counter attack ? We did see that once from a corner of ours (our corners are bloody awful), 10 seconds later Neto is in our box testing Martinez

I see a terrific centre forward, the best we’ve had for years and he formed a great partnership with Jack. Comfortable on ball, looking for little pass and goes and holds it up well, can score with head and either foot. Where is the connection from Trez and Traore? Nothing. He’s feeding on the same scraps as Wesley last season in a system that is screwing the whole team.

I don’t think he has looked comfortable on the ball last few games. In fact I think he has been generally crap. Not holding onto the ball when we need, first touch poor and getting bullied and spending alot of the time bouncing off a defender and falling over.