Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic, Sat 11th August - Match Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic, Sat 11th August - Match Thread

Just trying to give perspective and making the point that both goals conceded involved mistakes by defenders. Jedi’s was a physical error and Hutton failed to get goal side on a cross, something that we are taught as five year olds.... Jedinak is getting hammered on here and having his career written off by a few, yet Cafu’s error on the second goal is overlooked.... all players make mistakes but it’s how you respond that counts. We win and people are still looking for scapegoats.....

Hutton was actually goalside gm.
It's just that the Wigan player almost dived forward to get his head on the ball.

Bjarnason had to stop that cross for the second goal, he was too far off Powell.

That killed us, great cross and very hard to defend once he was allowed to whip that in so easily.

I think I sort of read someone saying give Hourihane a go up front. Not for me but I'm sure I read when he signed he could also play left back.
The fact that he's slow can't tackle and ducks out of headers might be an issue but played behind Green and with his left peg which does produce the odd ball like the one he put in for Barney's winner, we could do worse. He is a Bruce favourite and I'd sooner he was out there at LB than breaking up a promising partnership of the super J's.

Bjarnason had to stop that cross for the second goal, he was too far off Powell.

That killed us, great cross and very hard to defend once he was allowed to whip that in so easily.

Tuanzabe and elmo were both standing there looking at Powell doing bugger all as well. Apparently stopping crosses isn't the done thing in modern football.

Hourihane would get murdered at left back, he’d make Neil Taylor look good. IMO of course

You'd think so Dan but stranger things have happened ie Kenny Swain from an inside forward to right back.
He chases shadows in midfield but some people think he's good, left back should be easier as you only have a small area to dominate. I think he'd be crap. He does have a good left foot and can do simple balls down the line.

Been stalking the Hibs forum to see what our new friends made of it all. A few seem to have watched streams of the game and always good to get a neutral perspective. Interesting comment that we kept hammering the ball from full back down the wings and more often than not it came straight back. Very true IMHO; they said if the players knew McGinn better they’d have looked for him infield instead. Could also say the same about super jack, would be nice to see some variety occasionally.

Sorry Villan, wierd thing to have a go at Hourihane.

On Monday he was vlose to motm, yesterday he created more in 10 minutes than 9 other players did in 80 and obviously we all know his goalscoring attributes.

Find your criticism totally wierd

No to Hourihane as a full back or striker for me but think he may have something more to offer than Elmo in an attacking sense from a wide midfield position.

As i said earlier, thats why I was disappointed with Bruce. I did think, with Grealish, McGinn, Green and Benny we would play quick , penetrating football through midfield on the deck.
What actually happened was a carbon copy of last year. Hoof it down, hold it up and try and win set pieces.

Yesterday that tactic just about worked but long term that tactic will get exactly what us, Boro n Derby got - play offs.

Automatic, it is no coincidence Watford, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham and Wolves went up - and I know it is very early, but it looks like Leeds may continue that.

Loved the win, but a tinge of worry that we are just going to have a very frustrating season again.

Sorry Villan, wierd thing to have a go at Hourihane.

On Monday he was vlose to motm, yesterday he created more in 10 minutes than 9 other players did in 80 and obviously we all know his goalscoring attributes.

Find your criticism totally wierd

Holte he was in for the last few minutes and touched the ball twice, once he hoofed it up in the air like a park player and then he set up the winner fair play for that.
Against Hull he did so much Bruce dropped him for this game, I can't name a single thing he did apart from a free kick over the bar. Man of the match?

No to Hourihane as a full back or striker for me but think he may have something more to offer than Elmo in an attacking sense from a wide midfield position.

Basically, we are clutching at straws he's a slow central midfielder who has been shown up by McGinn . He's no winger fullback or striker . Mind you Elmo is no winger either not compared to Albert or Green or even Kol

I did think, with Grealish, McGinn, Green and Benny we would play quick , penetrating football through midfield on the deck.

Devito No.gif
Come on mate! As if!! Bruce has been here two years nearly, don't think that way of playing is on his radar.

As you say, set piece goals will only get us so far, and we rely on them far too often to get us over the line.

It is very early days in the season obviously, and two wins is a wonderful start. The main thing is we get points on the board as soon as possible as this will breed confidence. We don't want to be playing catch up yet again.

It could be argued that getting promoted is all that matters, however we achieve that. But if we can build a decent pressing, attacking style, we will be far better off if we do go up - it's no surprise that Wolves and Fulham are widely expected to stay up comfortably, while Cardiff are favourites to come straight back down.

Anyway, anyone else think the new pitch was a bit slow? The Jedi back pass an example of the ball holding up. There were a few passes coming up short.
It hasn't been very good weather for growing grass and certainly didn't look that good yesterday

That is a very good point and something that I hadn't considered.

Bruce did not drop him, nor Whelan, Elphick or any of the others come to that.

Bruce said - we have 8 games in 3 weeks , all when players are not fully fit. We need to rotate or they will not cope.

I suppose Eden Hazzard was dropped for being crap as well

Bruce said - we have 8 games in 3 weeks , all when players are not fully fit. We need to rotate or they will not cope.

Yep, Bruce was doing something sensible, which he was rightly accused of not doing last season. Fair play to him for that, hope he continues in that vein. And it worked; the players who came in had mixed performances but it got us the result. The players themselves can only get better, and will do with the confidence and belief which comes from playing. By the end of this month we should have a whole squad up to speed.

Think he needs to work out which matches he needs his strongest 11 for and then share the places around in the other matches.

Left out, dropped the same thing they didn't start. I don't think He'll be rotating his best players lets put it that way unless it's a cup game.

The centre half situation is going to cost us. Was Elphick injured? Jedi has a turning circle wider than an ocean liner and pacy forwards are going to love that. To see Jedi run back after being beaten on the floor is not a pretty sight. Nothing to do with yesterday, I’ve always had that view.
Because of this weakness it can be argued Whelan rather than Thor but we were too cautious last season and Bruce needs to learn from it.

We don't have '8 games in 3 weeks' tho -
we've 4 to play til 1st Sept
(and a joke cup game)

think you're fooling yourself if you think Bruce is rotating the squad at this stage

I can understand moving away but leaving ground at 2-2? It's something that always baffles me. Like skipping the last 10 pages of a whodunnit book. This isn't one-upmanship by the way - as a ST you go to more gams than me - but I just find that weird.
Mate I don't normally and I do every game home and away but this fella just got me fucking goat and because we were struggling to get the winner me patience was becoming short and me temper was building and I just knew it was a matter of time before I smacked him and I really didn't want that to happen so I left but believe he won't drive me away again.