Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic, Sat 11th August - Match Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic, Sat 11th August - Match Thread

Amazes me the lengths some go to, to get to games. Great report this

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...layers-new-optimism-same-old-travel-problems/
Yeah I always come down on a Friday so much easier takes me 3 1\2 hours on a clear run but anything up to six hours if there has been an accident on the roads. Always go down the 42 now to Bromsgrove and hop on M5 to Stourbridge the M6 past Star City to M5 turn off and M5 from West Brom to Oldbury through the roadworks is an absolute joke right now.

Yeah I always come down on a Friday so much easier takes me 3 1\2 hours on a clear run but anything up to six hours if there has been an accident on the roads. Always go down the 42 now to Bromsgrove and hop on M5 to Stourbridge the M6 past Star City to M5 turn off and M5 from West Brom to Oldbury through the roadworks is an absolute joke right now.
Im fortunate in as much as I am retired so I can come up Thursday, but the M5 coming the other way to Gator is so crowded with holiday traffic that my normal 3 1/2 hour trip for two games last season took seven hours due to accidents and motorway closure.
Friday is a disaster with people looking to get back to Brum a day early from holidays.

Im fortunate in as much as I am retired so I can come up Thursday, but the M5 coming the other way to Gator is so crowded with holiday traffic that my normal 3 1/2 hour trip for two games last season took seven hours due to accidents and motorway closure.
Friday is a disaster with people looking to get back to Brum a day early from holidays.
Yeah I do find the roads are clearer mid week but I find if I leave my house at 8.15 am on Fridays by the time I hit the hot spots they are normally quite clear it's just accidents that throws a spanner in the works.

Didn't get a chance to comment over the weekend, but my God it was a travesty that we won that! Wigan must have felt well and truly mugged - however, to be honest, I don't care!

First half I felt we were on top but, as ever, took our foot off the gas once we went in front. It is so frustrating and one of my biggest criticisms with Bruce that we rarely seem to 'push on' when on top and having taken a lead. Then, not for the first time, an unforced error undid the good work and seemed to suck all life out of us.

Second half I thought Wigan were by far the better team and played like the home team with us hoping to win the ball back, thump it long and hopefully get in behind them. We were fortunate they didn't net one of the two great headed chances in the second half.

Ratings:

Nyland: 5 - seemed OK initially but one thing a keeper does not want or need on their debut is to concede a howler. Once Jedinak had dropped him in it he looked a nervous wreck. Hopefully he will improve given time to settle in.
Tuanzebe: 6 - solid enough. Would like to see him at CB.
Chester: 7 - stood out and did his best to lead the jumbled defence around him.
Jedinak: 3 - I am a huge Jedinak fan and have been a advocate for him being one of the first names on the teamsheet every week - IN MIDFIELD!!! He can do a job at the back against a Cardiff-esque team of long ball merchants but he is simply not comfortable there when the ball is on the deck.
Hutton: 6 - Couple of exciting runs in the first half but lack of left foot hinders us. Lost his man for their second. Also, I'm not comfortable with the idea of Alan Hutton, cultured full back - Cruyff turns? clever flicks? He'll be pouring his Irn Bru into a mug and eating his porridge with a spoon next!
Barney: 6 - effective one second, sloppy the next. Made my weekend with the goal though.
McGinn: 8 - Superb debut. Looks what I'd call a 'proper' midfielder- tough tackling, great delivery, movement and will have a few goals in him. MOTM.
Grealish: 8 - Oozed class, dictated the pace and looked well up for it. Could form a great partnership with McGinn once they get on the same wavelength.
Elmo: 6 - Did OK but nothing of note.
Green: 5 - Anonymous, needs to stop chucking himself to the ground
Kodjia: 5 - Desperately needs a goal and for the fans to stay onside with him and give him time. Could help himself no end however if he looked up and passed to give his team mates a simple tap in rather than trying to force the ball in at the near post.

Subs:

Adomah: 7 - positive impact.
RHM: 7 - showed effort, could have had his first goal had Kodjia laid it on a plate for him.
Hourihane: 6 - set up winner.

Bruce: 6 - we won the game. That's two in two. So well done. However, I find it unbelievable that in our first home game we start with a CB at RB, a CM at CB and a RB at LB - three of the back four out of position in front of a new keeper! He needs to sort this and get a settled back line ASAP. McGinn looks a great bit of business though - if him Grealish can get on the same wavelength quickly they could be an unstoppable force in this division.

I'm off to France tomorrow - so here's to me reading about how much we're improving game by game over the next two weeks in the match threads on here!

As has been referred to, Jedi sold the debutant a fridge and again Hutton lost his man and was wrong side, but closer than usual.

No Player is immune mate but you are on a hiding on here if you have a pop at Hutton Chester or Jack or in my case Hourihane who apparently runs a lot :eek!:
Hutton goes missing defensively way too often and after having very little impact following his forays.

Just trying to give perspective and making the point that both goals conceded involved mistakes by defenders. Jedi’s was a physical error and Hutton failed to get goal side on a cross, something that we are taught as five year olds.... Jedinak is getting hammered on here and having his career written off by a few, yet Cafu’s error on the second goal is overlooked.... all players make mistakes but it’s how you respond that counts. We win and people are still looking for scapegoats.....
Not looking to make Hutton a scapegoat - just yet again pointing out the blindingly obvious

Bruce: 6 - we won the game. That's two in two. So well done. However, I find it unbelievable that in our first home game we start with a CB at RB, a CM at CB and a RB at LB - three of the back four out of position in front of a new keeper! He needs to sort this and get a settled back line ASAP.
Yup!