Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic, Sat 11th August - Match Thread | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic, Sat 11th August - Match Thread

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
Wigan are in town for the Villa Park opener on Saturday.

Still so many things up in the air and some likely transfer business which may affect the team for Saturday.

Thoughts, fine folks of Vital Land?

Lots of other distractions but thoughts turn to Sat.

I expect Wigan to be well organised and energetic - no easy games but we have to take 3 points from the likes. Be surprised if Mowbray sets them up to do anything other than defend compactly and break.

I think that Bruce will stick with pretty much the same side that started at Hull.
Although Whelan played well, I would like to see us start with Bjarnason and Green playing instead of Elmohamedy. Would also have Doyle-Hayes or O'Hare on the bench instead of Gardner and Jedinak for cover. Steer should keep his place IMO.

Steer
Bree Elphick Chester McCafu

Adomah Hourihane Bjarnason Green

Grealish
Kodjia

Subs Nyland, Jedinak, Hepburn-Murphy, Lansbury, O'Hare

If Jack still leaves, play O'Hare and have Doyle-Hayes on the bench.

Last edited:
Lots of other distractions but thoughts turn to Sat.

I expect Wigan to be well organised and energetic - no easy games but we have to take 3 points from the likes. Be surprised if Mowbray sets them up to do anything other than defend compactly and break.

I think that Bruce will stick with pretty much the same side that started at Hull.
Although Whelan played well, I would like to see us start with Bjarnason and Green right mid instead of Elmohamedy. Would also have Doyle-Hayes or O'Hare on the bench instead of Gardner and Jedinak for cover. Steer should keep his place IMO.

Steer
Bree Elphick Chester McCafu

Adomah Hourihane Bjarnason Green

Grealish
Kodjia

Subs Nyland, Jedinak, Hepburn-Murphy, Lansbury, O'Hare

If Jack still leaves, play O'Hare and have Doyle-Hayes on the bench.

I think O'Hare is going to be out injured for at least a couple more months.

I'd keep Elmo in, he played well at Hull. If you are going by form Uncle Albert should be the one benched for Green. My only real concerns are Elphick & Taylor - both looked a bit suspect to mistakes but I doubt Bryan will be ready (if we sign him) so would mean playing one of Hutton or Bree out of position on the left.
I wasnt a big fan of Steer but to be fair he made a few decent saves so would be harsh to drop him, especially as the new guy wont have done much training with the squad yet

Soo........ how's our new midfield gonna work, what about this when settled.

Nyland

Bree Chester Elphick/Tuanzebedee McCafu

Hourihane Bjarnason McGinn Green

Grealish

Kodjia

Last edited:
I personally think it's criminal that, after being the second best player in preseason, De Laet isn't starting at RB.

I personally think it's criminal that, after being the second best player in preseason, De Laet isn't starting at RB.

That's because he is suspended. Back after Wigan.

I mean we could play him and then be subject to EFL disciplinary action. I'd say that would be more criminal though...