Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Page 22 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

If you were a neutral fan with a season ticket down VP, as one of my mates dads is - you’d have got your money’s worth this season with entertainment.

I’m more for a little less entertainment but more substance in terms of results.

I need to watch the winner back but how can you leave a class player like Son in that much space and one-on-one in the dying moments is beyond me. Still lots of naivety.

We looked better with Nakamba in for drunkwater but the clueless manager took Samatta off for Baston who was absolute car crash when he came on.

Samatta was bloody knackered and let’s face it, most of the last 10 minutes was played in our half as most of our lot were running on empty...so that had absolutely no effect on the game whatsoever. Blame Smith for the fitness levels if you want to but don’t blame him for things which have no relevance whatsoever.

Nothing to do with ’better fan nonsense’.....but if you watched the game today either at Villa Park or the armchair.....the ‘I can see no positives’ mantra wears a bit thin. Yes, mistakes will cost us if it continues, yes we got sod all from today’s game, yes defensive frailties are a real concern....I get all the negatives but I defy anyone who watched the game today to say there were no positives. I’ve seen many shite Villa squads over the years

Crikey....we must have done reasonably well today ‘57 if you think we played some decent stuff....:grinning:

It certainly wasn't what I expected from a Jose team they went for us and it was a good game end to end we should have been 3 up before they scored.
They won it just as I was in the tunnel and saying to a bloke how have we not won that but a draw was a good result , boom back of the net gutted but we had a go

Nothing really to add to the match thread as it's all been said.

I would add though Atkinson really is a shockingly bad referee but then show me a good English ref?

Foreign players have improved this league immensely, it was news worthy a few months when the first overseas ref was employed - I’d like to see 20 of them in the EPL with true neutrality.

Atkinson is a fooking joke. These grey haired old men don’t want abuse from the away fans or down the local when they’re back in their Home County lodges in the week. Jack has been hacked 6-7 times today and one yellow (I think) in the 2nd half.

Refs being shit I can live with to a point , it’s the lack of consistency from one team to the next. We need a game where VAR isn’t the current format and referees are anonymous because they’re doing such a good job.

If you were a neutral fan with a season ticket down VP, as one of my mates dads is - you’d have got your money’s worth this season with entertainment.

I’m more for a little less entertainment but more substance in terms of results.

I need to watch the winner back but how can you leave a class player like Son in that much space and one-on-one in the dying moments is beyond me. Still lots of naivety.

yep entertaining for the neutral mainly down to hapless nature of the defending.
(spurs are surprisingly bolloxs as well which certainly helped the neutral friendly nature of this one)

points would be handy though right enough

Irony lost on you the Sil , Nothing to do with better fans just get pissed off with people who never go moaning. Villa means so much to them Really
Irony lost on you the Sil , Nothing to do with better fans just get pissed off with people who never go moaning. Villa means so much to them Really

I get your annoyance, but please realise this is a thread for Villa fans of all ages, from all over, many of whom may have perfectly valid reasons not to be at Villa Park today, but have watched the game on TV. Their comments and their love of Villa are as valid as yours. Others maybe less so, but generalised criticism of fans who have not been is wide of the mark. There will be many on here like me. I've been retired nine years. I live (and have always) 130 miles away, yet have been on over a hundred grounds all over the UK and Europe watching Villa and hundreds of games over the last 60 years. I used to go everywhere, but now have to pick my games, and don't go when Villa are on TV. Others may be watching from the USA, Australia, anywhere. If I lived locally, you'll have to take it from me, I would have a season ticket, and go every week. So let's just comment on the game, and the Villa we all love.

Their game plan was obvious though and he did nothing to stop it. They were blatantly letting us forward in order to hit us in behind with Son and co. Although it was a mistake that is where their winner came from and they got into those positions time and again. With better tactics we could have beaten them by a couple of goals today. Saying it was good enough could be classed as pro Smith confirmation bias.

Did they let us score that early goal and let us have 3 or 4 game ending chances in the first half too.

I don’t know where you draw the line.
The simple fact of the matter is we’re not good enough. We’ve bought poorly and a different manager isn’t going to change that.

The countless mistakes and errors in possession this season are proof of it. Time and again we’ve gifted teams goals and today was another.

All round it’s a right old mess from top to bottom. For my own sanity I’m choosing to see shoots of positives. You can’t sit there and say that was Spurs game plan to let us have countless chances in front of goal. They might have invited us on but they couldn’t cope when we got near their box. We squandered chances and paid the price.

It certainly wasn't what I expected from a Jose team they went for us and it was a good game end to end we should have been 3 up before they scored.
They won it just as I was in the tunnel and saying to a bloke how have we not won that but a draw was a good result , boom back of the net gutted but we had a go

The Special One: "I thought we deserved to win but I think they did not deserve to lose. Villa played to win. "

Thought that was a fair summary. We've conceded more goals than anyone in the PL. But we've scored more than any team in the bottom half. When you can score goals you've always got a chance. Our GD is now the same as mighty Newcastle; I know which one I'd rather watch.

I get it that our space for putting on points is getting smaller; 3 points today would have been massive, even if the odds were against it. But it's still in our hands. We can get out of this.

One thing I see week after week (well based on the home games I watch at least), we aren’t utilising our speed and skill down the right hand side enough.

One of my Watford mates from uni said all we do is get it to Grealish and hope for the best, 90% of our play must come down the left hand side.

We need to start lashing some diagonals to Freddy to get him on his bike, the few times Davies was run at he was easily outpaced by both El Ghazi and Freddy.

I remember those early games this season and Freddy looked like one of the fastest players I’ve seen down VP, haven’t seen it since.

Well I thought some of the stuff we played , especially in the first half was as good as anything we have played all season.

I agree to a point. I thought Spurs defensive display helped by trying to be as shambolic as us at times. I also thought some of our defensive stuff was equally as poor as anything we have played all season. Admittedly against a decent attacking spurs forward line.

Exactly, it was a good game of football perhaps those watching on sky need to get their lazy opinionated fat arse down Villa Park now and then and support the team rather than shout at a TV screen.

It may have escaped your attention that today's attendance was almost 42,000. I.E. capacity.

I, for one, would love to be able to obtain tickets for decent seats.

Perhaps you may wish to engage your brain when making such stupid comments in the future.

Noone can blame dean smith today. You cant legislate against a mistake like that. Frustrating yes. Soul destroying yes. And I know we keep making these ridiculous mistakes but we played bloody well today. There were loads of positives. We battled. We worked hard. We created. We generally defending well apart from silly mistakes. It's hard I know because the games are slipping by and we are missing out on massive chances to pick up points. Engels made a shocker. If I made that mistake down powerleague I would fully expect a grilling from my team mates. It was poor beyond belief but smith cant be blamed for that.