Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Page 21 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

Sorry but I don't take any positives from that . Why ? Well -
Spurs were way below par today and were there for the taking , bit like the Brighton away game they lost 0-3, but we were absolutely diabolical at the back. However our midfield offer no protection.
Spurs passed through our midfield like they weren't there, it was embarrassing. They looked like creating a good goalscoring opportunity every attack.
We attacked them yes but missed our chances or made poor decisions- Trezeguet you greedy t**t
Can't defend....weak midfield. Ominous.

Another incredibly frustrating day as a Villa fan. I'd just like to start off by saying the referee was absolute terrible. It was almost a slap in the face how bias he was. Aurier had three yellow card worthy fouls within the first 13 minutes, watch out for them on match of the day. First yellow card was for a Villa player in he 70th minute. Joke.

A better team than us would have been three goals up before the half hour mark today, fact. El Ghazi was at his best, unfortunately his best is Championship level play.

The lack of quality in the midfield and in defence was laid bare for the world to see today. Had we had mings and mcginn playing at full fitness, we would have strolled the three points over the line.

Engels has seen his last game in a Villa shirt. You've got two head coaches who played in your position, one of which is one of the best the game has ever seen, and you put in a performance like that? Shocking.

Konsa is fairly anonymous when he wants to be, Hause is back up at best (I think we all know that), Guilbert has gone totally off the boil. I really hope we can keep as many key players fit for as many games as possible. Wrap Mings in cotton wool until the weekends come around.
What is wrong with mings? Just had 2 weeks off. Only good thing about the so called winter break was it didn't spoil my weekend...again.

Last edited:
Devastated. In many ways we looked good and certainly were up for it from the start. All that has positivity has gone now though and can't imagine we'll start that way in next one. Thanks to two errors from one player and poor finishing in the first half all the energy gained from the break has gone.

My instinct is usually to be positive, but the spine of our team is so easy to punch through and I can't see us scoring enough to make up for it.

I was there and thought it was a great game between two good teams. Fantastic entertainment. Should have beaten the Champions league finalists. Dodgy pen and freak 'Engelmann' cock up at the end. Oh well. Bring on the next game...
Pleased you were happy with losing again.This spurs side is nothing like the one of last season . God knows what would have happened if kane had been playing against that load of shite at the back.

What is strong with mings? Just had 2 weeks off. Only good thing about the so called winter break was it didn't spoil my weekend...again.

Tonsilitis apparently...after having many episodes myself over the years, there’s nothing worse so impossible to play if he’s got a bad dose! Frustratingly poor timing tho....why the hell couldnt he have got it 12 days ago....Mings out!

I was there and thought it was a great game between two good teams. Fantastic entertainment. Should have beaten the Champions league finalists. Dodgy pen and freak 'Engelmann' cock up at the end. Oh well. Bring on the next game...

Exactly, it was a good game of football perhaps those watching on sky need to get their lazy opinionated fat arse down Villa Park now and then and support the team rather than shout at a TV screen.

Oh here we go , the better fan nonsense. Can you only have a valid comment now if you were at the game , funny.
I'll be at St Mary's , will you

Irony lost on you the Sil , Nothing to do with better fans just get pissed off with people who never go moaning. Villa means so much to them Really

Great game for the neutral and I’d have been very pleased with 2-2 by the time we got to 90 minutes. Then the schoolboy error which we make every game. In fact we’re close to making them throughout the 90 minutes, we’re all on edge, the players and the crowd. It happens against poorer teams as well, we’re habitual present givers but nobody gives us a gift like these.
Having said that, it was some of the best attacking football I’ve seen us play for a long time. And disagreeing with pretty well everyone on here I thought we looked better with Drinkwater on than when Nakamba replaced him. Far more fluency going forward linking well with Douglas and Jack, both of whom I thought were outstanding. I’m afraid we haven’t got a reliable centre half on our books.

Great game for the neutral and I’d have been very pleased with 2-2 by the time we got to 90 minutes. Then the schoolboy error which we make every game. In fact we’re close to making them throughout the 90 minutes, we’re all on edge, the players and the crowd. It happens against poorer teams as well, we’re habitual present givers but nobody gives us a gift like these.
Having said that, it was some of the best attacking football I’ve seen us play for a long time. And disagreeing with pretty well everyone on here I thought we looked better with Drinkwater on than when Nakamba replaced him. Far more fluency going forward linking well with Douglas and Jack, both of whom I thought were outstanding. I’m afraid we haven’t got a reliable centre half on our books.
L fully agree I thought Drinkwater added some bite and we played football like we can, just don't get the meltdown and nobody moans more than me

We looked better with Nakamba in for drunkwater but the clueless manager took Samatta off for Baston who was absolute car crash when he came on.

Haven't been that depressed after a game in a long time.

I think it was just the manner in which we lost, we were seconds away from a decent point and then......

I do agree it was a great game, and we did a lot of good things, of course means fuck all because we need points.

We're not down yet, not even in the relegation zone, but we really need to pick up a few wins soon, otherwise we're in miracle territory.

Oh here we go , the better fan nonsense. Can you only have a valid comment now if you were at the game , funny.
I'll be at St Mary's , will you

Nothing to do with ’better fan nonsense’.....but if you watched the game today either at Villa Park or the armchair.....the ‘I can see no positives’ mantra wears a bit thin. Yes, mistakes will cost us if it continues, yes we got sod all from today’s game, yes defensive frailties are a real concern....I get all the negatives but I defy anyone who watched the game today to say there were no positives. I’ve seen many shite Villa squads over the years
L fully agree I thought Drinkwater added some bite and we played football like we can, just don't get the meltdown and nobody moans more than me

Crikey....we must have done reasonably well today ‘57 if you think we played some decent stuff....:grinning:

Pleased you were happy with losing again.This spurs side is nothing like the one of last season . God knows what would have happened if kane had been playing against that load of shite at the back.

I don’t think anyone is pleased with losing but it was a great game of football nonetheless. It’s football... you win some, you lose some.

Yes completely agree with every point. Would have been happy with a point and an entertaining game. That end just made the entire day sickening though.

Our defence is a complete liability, going forwards we looked ok, until Grealish ran out of steam after 70 minutes

Drinkwater is crap but Nakamba something I just can’t put my finger on we always look worse when he’s playing. Can’t wait for McGinn to get back