Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
I know it's ages away but I am sick of seeing the Bournemouth thread at the top of the page, so hopefully we can turn our attention to this massive game.

In an early kick in the teeth, the referee has been confirmed as the incompetent buffoon (© Sir Dennis) Martin Atkinson, with the ultra-incompetent Jon Moss on VAR.

The two-week 'mid-season' break (occurring when 2/3 of the season has passed - only the FA could manage that) should give us time to get rid of any niggling injuries (Ezri Konsa, for example) and give time for Danny Drinkwater, Ally Samatta and the bloke from Swansea (literally never heard of him) time to get up to speed and settle in as the run-in hits its critical phase.

Before the weekend, I was positive about this on and thought we could get something from a stuttering Spurs side. But after our Bournemouth no-show and the way they saw off Man City, I am not so sure.

Watching 3k Spurs take over the Witton pubs and taking home 3 points isn’t enjoyable season after season.

About time we turned that trend around, and keep the Mourihno poor record at VP going.

Very tough game, a draw will be a great result. The 3 at the back becomes susceptible when the opposition have two or three players who are happy to play wider in a forward line.

Smith will go out with his plan A and we all pretty know the formation and style. I suspect Mourihno will be looking to exploit the gaps. Without Kane, they won’t play through the middle as much which is a problem for us with our two full backs we need to get forward.

Players are working hard today for this one I see... from their balconies in Dubai

Spurs do less well against the bottom teams (mostly) and their away form is a lot worse than at WHL. I'd go 4-5-1 to pack the midfield and stifle their passing game, maybe even have Taylor and Elmo on the flanks to link up with the full-backs & cover the counter-attacks. (Tin hat on here lads but both are defensively minded - Drinkwater, Nakamba, Grealish in the middle with Sama up front).

Spurs do less well against the bottom teams (mostly) and their away form is a lot worse than at WHL. I'd go 4-5-1 to pack the midfield and stifle their passing game, maybe even have Taylor and Elmo on the flanks to link up with the full-backs & cover the counter-attacks. (Tin hat on here lads but both are defensively minded - Drinkwater, Nakamba, Grealish in the middle with Sama up front).
Even a 10-0-0 might not stop them scoring a few if we play like we did at Bournemouth.

4-3-3

Reina
Guilbert Engels Mings Targett
Nakamba
Douglas Grealish
Trez Samatta El Ghazi

Nyland, Konsa, Elmo, Hourihane, Drinkwater, Vassilev, Baston

Play deep, hit them on the counter. Engels, Mings and Nakamba to stay deep, everyone else license to get forward. Spurs are relying on space for Son and Bergwin now to score, they dont have an out and out striker, just players who are good with the ball at their feet and a bit of pace.

Keep Nakamba on Ali, let the defence deal with Son and Bergwin, give Grealish his position back in the middle where he has complete control and creative license.

Plenty of teams have taken points from these this season, now it's our turn.

I think facing a toothless, Kaneless, Mourinhofied Spurs team is a good chance to go back to 4 at the back. Especially given how bad Hause is and Konsa's up and down form.

Take the game to them and try to be positive.

Reina

Guilbert
Engels
Mings
Targett

Luiz

Trezeguet
Grealish
Hourihane
El Ghazi

Samatta

I'm sure I'll get stick for picking Houihane, but who else is there? Nakamba needs dropping as he is the worst midfielder I've seen at Villa Park since Reo Coker. Lansbury is... well Lansbury. And Drinkwater has been shite every time he's pulled on a Villa shirt as expected.

The only alternative I'd offer to the above would be 4-4-2 and Baston in for either Trez or Connor.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhh....Sky!!!!!

Thanks to their stupidity this now falls on Mrs M's birthday . As did the baggies home league game last season. I went to the baggies game with junior 1

No way will I get away with this one. FFS. :arrghh:.

6 nil to Villa then .

I started one thinking it was the 8th. Gutted. No idea when they decided to change the fixture for an unnecessary break, but I totally missed it.

Disappointed, was looking forward to a Saturday, 3pm, game. Even more so as I've got Dennis Mortimer coming with me.

Oh and they are a top ten team, and have just got renewed confidence. We don't win v top ten sadly.

Can't see us containing their forward players at the moment - hope I am wrong.

However, at home, I can see us scoring. A point would be very good. Lets hope for another Leicester performance

Can't see us containing their forward players at the moment - hope I am wrong.

However, at home, I can see us scoring. A point would be very good. Lets hope for another Leicester performance
And Leicester tactics. Defend a bit deeper to stop their CBs launching 70yd balls at Son and Ali to run behind.

I think we can muster up at least a point if we show the same kind of hunger and concentration as the leicester game.

I agree with Deano in going back to 4 at the back. The other Deano should go back to his way of playing at the start of the season which wasn’t great but yielded a better goal difference ratio. I don’t believe we’ve got a decent centre half amongst them at this level but pick Mings because he has the passion and fight, plus a.n.other. Unfortunately, having three of them on the pitch has, I believe, not stopped the flow of goals against.
Nakamba, Luiz and Hourihane are all lightweights, the best footballer of the three IMHO is Luiz and Hourihane should never start a game so that leaves Drinkwater. He showed improvement against Leicester then disappeared. Anyone know why? We had a good goalie against them too, what happened to him?

I finally come around to the idea of a 3 man backline and 2 up top and everyone abandons ship!

If we're opting for a back four I feel the idea wide men should be dropped. I think Samatta and Davis should both start, both players exhibit much more fight than AEG.

Trez and Luiz's consistency limits them to impact players but I would be tempted to start Trez too.

Drinkwater should hopefully be near fitness and form by the time we play. For all Marvs flaws if he doesnt play you probably dont win any tackles in midfield.

I'd be tempted to play a diamond but I dont think it works until McGinn is back.

I finally come around to the idea of a 3 man backline and 2 up top and everyone abandons ship!

If we're opting for a back four I feel the idea wide men should be dropped. I think Samatta and Davis should both start, both players exhibit much more fight than AEG.

Trez and Luiz's consistency limits them to impact players but I would be tempted to start Trez too.

Drinkwater should hopefully be near fitness and form by the time we play. For all Marvs flaws if he doesnt play you probably dont win any tackles in midfield.

I'd be tempted to play a diamond but I dont think it works until McGinn is back.
Davis is out or I'd agree about two up front

The more I look at our squad and the more I look at the remaining games the more convinced I am we are not going to get anywhere near enough points to survive.