Aston Villa v Small Heath Alliance 25/11/18 12pm K.O officially sold out | Page 17 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Small Heath Alliance 25/11/18 12pm K.O officially sold out

Can't ask for more than that. Two great wins in two great derby games, against bitter rivals. Both go a goal down, and both come back to win 4-2! Brilliant day Villa, and well done Stenny too against Falkirk!

They do like to make us sweat.
Yeah for the first half hour we looked nervy. But once they scored it was like a wake up call. The lions were awoken,
They done themselves, the club and us proud. :party::bounce:
Allan Hutton didn't stop running. At one point the only thing that did stop him was the holte end..
Onwards and upwards :utv::utv::utv:
Oh and well sung to those that attended :thumbup:

RE: Lansbury

When he came on, why didn’t he just sit in the hole Whelan left, get the ball and recycle it for 10 mins and work himself into the game?

I assume he’s got some sort of injury, but sprinting around like that and leaving us with a big hole I thought wasn’t the best idea.

I’m not convinced he’s any good, I think his touch is poor and I’ve not seen enough of him to be convinced otherwise, but he doesn’t seem to be having much luck here.

Thought he did OK, until injured. Hourihane dropped back to cover the Whelan position, leaving Lansbury to go forwards.

Having watched the Abraham penalty several times, I'm sorry to say that City were unlucky, if anything it should have been no more than an indirect freekick.
Abraham did shove the defender in the back and then when he was tackled, the ball was at least two yards away, that is outwith his control.

Well what can you say after that? We were by no means fantastic but all that matters in a derby game is the result. To put 4(!) past them is just the icing on the cake! I thought we started pretty brightly and for the first 10mins I was happy, after that them lot had their tactics spot on and completely nullified is whilst looking dangerous on the counter and at set pieces. They were on top until we equalised and after that I felt we were in control- 74% possession overall backs that up.

Another couple of stats to make you smile: Conor Hourihane completed more passes than any other player with 74, Small Heaths top passer was Lee Camp (the keeper!) who completed 11. Elmo also completed 11 - more than any Small Heath outfield player, but was only on for 20mins. Villa completed 457 out of 529 attempted passes (86.4%) compared to Blues 92 completed out of 172 (53.5).

To be fair I thought it was a good game and even have to give that lot (begrudging) credit for turning up with a solid game plan - but we were comfortably better and eventually broke down their ‘keep it tight / counter attack / exploit set pieces / kick Grealish’ plan.

Ratings:

Nyland: 7 - growing in confidence. Felt he needed to come out and dominate his box more through most of the game but by the end was doing just that and comfortably collecting crosses. Too concerned with jostling with Adams for their first.
Hutton: 9 - what can I say? I’ve long being a critic of his overall game BUT have always loved the bloke. 100% effort as always. When he started his run I started screaming “RELEASE IT! RELEASE IT! FOR CHRIST SAKE PASS MAN! hang on - you’re in here. GO ON CAFU! FINISH IT!!!!!” Delighted for a true pro who clearly loves the club. A true cult hero.
Chester: 5 - really ropey. At least 3 lapses of concentration - one of which led to the corner they scored from. Not convinced he can be a ball playing CB.
Tuanzebe: 7 - great on the ball. Looks so much better in his natural position.
Taylor: 6 - did ok but was targeted again and again. The most obvious weak link in the team.
Whelan: 7 - did his job and did it pretty well.
Hourihane: 6 - quiet. I’m a fan but didn’t feel he was at it today (though stats suggest he did more than I’m giving credit for). Looked more comfortable when he dropped back to the deep lying midfielder role after Whelan came off.
Grealish: 7 - drifted in and out. But when he drifted ‘in’ they couldn’t stop him without resorting to fouls. Delighted for him that he scored.
Adomah: 7 - didn’t feel he was at it (again) and would of got a lower score were it not for two vital assists at a vital time in the match. Delivered when it mattered.
Kodjia: 8 - best game since before he was injured. Goal gave him confidence and worked tirelessly for the team.
Abraham: 9 - I thought he was simply excellent. Brilliant touch, terrified their defence, offered a constant ‘out’ for the team and played like he enjoyed every second of the game. MOTM.

SUBS

Bolasie: 6 - lively.
Lansbury: 5 - unlucky with injury.
Elmo: 7 - added further impetus.

Smith: 8 - dream first derby. Got the team right in the absence of McGinn and Barney. Kept us on the front foot after taking the lead rather than ‘holding on’ for the result. Don’t want to get carried away - this is Villa after all - but I just have a good feeling about this man and what he might do for our (and his) club.

Great day overall, my brother couldn’t make it so I got to bring dad for the first time in ages - seeing him jump up and down like a mad man as we hugged and laughed when Hutton struck - priceless!

Last edited:
Having watched the Abraham penalty several times, I'm sorry to say that City were unlucky, if anything it should have been no more than an indirect freekick.
Abraham did shove the defender in the back and then when he was tackled, the ball was at least two yards away, that is outwith his control.

Disagree completely, not a shove - was just stronger and rolled the defender. Any CB worth his salt would be embarrassed by that. And in control of the ball or not, you hook away a players leg like that anywhere on the pitch and it’s a foul. Stonewall penalty.

Well
Grealish: 7 - drifted in and out. But when he drifted ‘in’ they couldn’t stop him without resorting to fouls. Delighted for him that he scored.

Glad you mentioned this as this is exactly how he should play. Earlier in the season he was on the ball everywhere in every part of the field trying to please all the people all the time and was not as effective as he is now, the best he could do was win a free kick. I think he had a heat map of touches at Blackburn where he touched the hall everywhere.

I posted a while ago saying he should watch videos of the likes if Hazard or Ozil, they aren’t box-to-box all action players - they let others do the dirty work, they conserve their energy well but they can change a game in a split second.

Obviously that comes from the manager and his setup, and it seems like DS recognises this.

I just remembered I said I'd do some player ratings, now I'm back on planet earth I'll have a go. 10 is out of this world 5 is average

Nyland: 6 Did ok still frightens me at every corner though. My initial reaction to their goal was where is the keeper but I think he got himself blocked.

Hutton: 9 Just for the Goal alone, It was goo on Al, goo on Al, Goo On Al Yeeeeessss! Nothing like the sight of McCafu on a mad run is there.

Taylor: 6 He was Ok Backs off too much for me and isn't the same player who broke Coleman's leg.

Chester: 5 Absolute liability with the ball, not one of his better games is being kind. Keep it simple James you're no footballer!

Axle T: 7 I'm warming to this lad he just gets better each week, quick and cool on the ball, just what Dean wants in a CB I think.

Albert: 7 Two great crosses, for the first two goals, back on the right and proving Bruce wrong again. Hope he's not too badly injured. Who needs Snodgrass when you have Alberto.

Whelan: 7 Back in for his first start in some time, I thought he did well, he does what he does well. Needed him in the mix with that animal Gardner trying to dish it out.

Hourihane: 5 I can't remember him doing much at all good or bad. Forward passes he tried were overhit. Did ok tapping it around the back 4 towards the end to get his pass count up! if you believe stats he was our best passer.

Grealish: 8 Gets that for his goal otherwise a 7, I'm taking him for granted here, I suppose he's our best player and that is what happens. He's just Jack. Kept his head well despite being provoked. Let his feet do the talking or rather his Head!

Tammy: 7 Worked hard took his penalty well, His hold up play needs to be worked on but I'm sure Dean will sort that. Comes alive in the box,

Koj: 7 I admit I was moaning about him not getting in the game, then he scored, so what do I know. Probably his best game in a long while.

Sub:
Bolasie: 7 Looked powerful fast and skilful and it's going to be a nice headache for Deano to get him in the starting 11.

Lansbury: 5 Looked lively and his body language said give me the ball, but alas another injury

Elmo: 6 Just came on for a stroll at the end, a very useful utility player. Neat and tidy. I wonder if he fancies CB?

Coach
Smith: 9 getting them there isn't he, Can't fault that sorted them out after a poor start

Oh give over. It was a clear cut penalty.

Talking of WM.

Absolute horse shit being spoken about Grealish throwing himself to the floor to easily yesterday . Once (at a stretch) did I think he went down to easily yesterday. Right in front of the holte second half it was. Even then he was slightly caught.

My gut reaction to the Penalty was and bearing in mind I have the same view as the TV cameras. Tammy shoved him then got fouled and as I only have one eye it was a nailed on penalty. Made up for the foul on our keeper for their first goal :grinning:

Nyland: 6 Did ok still frightens me at every corner though. My initial reaction to their goal was where is the keeper but I think he got himself blocked.

He was taken out of the game by that twat Che Adams, but our defending from corners was poor all day. I thought his confidence grew as the game wore on and he came and claimed a couple of high balls late on, which he'd never have done a few weeks ago.

Pretty spot on with the ratings though 57.

He was taken out of the game by that twat Che Adams, but our defending from corners was poor all day. I thought his confidence grew as the game wore on and he came and claimed a couple of high balls late on, which he'd never have done a few weeks ago.

Pretty spot on with the ratings though 57.

Yes, what he did towards the end claiming a couple of high balls is just what we need him to do from the off. I hope he gets there because his reflex stuff is pretty good, but you need the complete package these days. Which if he had I'm sure he'd be somewhere else, I can't get used to having to make do

Rubbish. I t is not a foul if our player is too strong for their defender. Also I will back my tape measure against yours as no way the ball was 2 yards away. I n any case their player prevented Abraham from going for a ball he had a chance of reaching , so it's a clear penalty.

The Dean Smith philosophy continues to produce the results. Exciting game in that we didn't have it all our own way. In fact some leftovers from Bruce's reign were in evidence - the complete causing of our troubles through unpressurised mistakes, many from Chester.
Playing Hourihane and Whelan in same team (or Jedinak) automatically makes us less effective going forward. When he brought on Lansbury for Whelan it was a positive move, it was a pity we weren't able to see more of it.
As for Alan Cafu, he has written himself into the immortal pages of our history and in the minds of everyone present. Unforgettable.

Still on a high after that game. Loved the atmosphere. I'm on the North Stand upper and nearly pissed myself laughing when the bloke in the seat behind me hurled himself down the steps and jumped on the balustrade after Jack's goal.
As for those moans about Jack going down easily and people getting wise to it, what a load of bollocks. If opposition players think he's going to do that then they should have a bit more brains than to whack him.
He must have been black and blue. When he was booted up in the air and virtually did a cartwheel I feared for his neck.
And as for the Scottish Cafu, it was one of those , "Pass it now, now. For Christ's sake pass it you.....What a fucking goal!" moments.