Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd - Match Thread - Friday 8th Feb, 7.45pm | Page 20 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd - Match Thread - Friday 8th Feb, 7.45pm

Wow! Well I don’t know what to say about that!

Sheffield United were easily the best team to have come to Villa Park this season and we were ABYSMALLY bad. So bad In fact that for the first time in my life, at the age of 36, I left the match early and missed all 3 goals in the comeback - serves me right! Won’t happen again!

One thing for sure we HAVE to do better against the baggies next week or it could be embarrassing.

United put on a Brentford performance. They always do.

Smith needs time. 2-3 yrs will answer if 'he' is good enough.

But he does need to twist from thinking he'll get something from 'names' who have never given us anything and be braver.

When he does, he'll get panned by some. But we'll be better for it.

Great post that says it all in a few words.

Teams raise their game, blues style and have done for a while now

I’d say next season would need to show improvement

Like you say, our ‘names’ surely have had their day now

Not sure I've fully processed that last 15 minutes or so yet. 1st time I've ever seen us come from 3 down.

1st 81 minutes or so appalling. Sheffield looked like their 11 had been kept in a cave the last week, not fed and then unleashed upon us. They were quicker to everything all over. They weren't doing anything special but they worked hard, closed us down fanatically and employed the revolutionary tactic of passing and moving. They are almost the perfect opposite of everything we have been the last few years. No big names, big transfer fees or big wages but a squad carefully brought together and drilled into a way of playing that suits them. They have a plan.

I thought Mings looked good for the most part. McGinn and Tammy gave their all as ever. Kodjia can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Shockingly bad performances because of being crap or unfit ala Jedinak I can take but Kodjia just didn't look like he wanted to be out there. Hourihane got another assist stat I suppose. The man is brilliant when it's literally against the laws of the game to close him down. His incredibly shut cross field pass that went into the trinity on about 75 minutes seemed to herald an exodus of several thousand.

Terrible performance, incredible finish, bizzare game. There was someone earlier saying they'd be embarrassed to celebrate a point like that. If you can only celebrate points when you're brilliant then we may a well all go out and buy Barcelona shirts to be honest. Any villa fan not screaming their voice away when Green nodded in that equaliser must be mad as far as I'm concerned.

We didn’t deserve anything from that game, a shambolic performance although great turnaround at the end

Hope Jedinak and Kodjia get dumped for the next game

Not sure I've fully processed that last 15 minutes or so yet. 1st time I've ever seen us come from 3 down.

1st 81 minutes or so appalling. Sheffield looked like their 11 had been kept in a cave the last week, not fed and then unleashed upon us. They were quicker to everything all over. They weren't doing anything special but they worked hard, closed us down fanatically and employed the revolutionary tactic of passing and moving. They are almost the perfect opposite of everything we have been the last few years. No big names, big transfer fees or big wages but a squad carefully brought together and drilled into a way of playing that suits them. They have a plan.

I thought Mings looked good for the most part. McGinn and Tammy gave their all as ever. Kodjia can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Shockingly bad performances because of being crap or unfit ala Jedinak I can take but Kodjia just didn't look like he wanted to be out there. Hourihane got another assist stat I suppose. The man is brilliant when it's literally against the laws of the game to close him down. His incredibly shut cross field pass that went into the trinity on about 75 minutes seemed to herald an exodus of several thousand.

Terrible performance, incredible finish, bizzare game. There was someone earlier saying they'd be embarrassed to celebrate a point like that. If you can only celebrate points when you're brilliant then we may a well all go out and buy Barcelona shirts to be honest. Any villa fan not screaming their voice away when Green nodded in that equaliser must be mad as far as I'm concerned.
Myself my son my mate and his son went fucking mental

Kodija is either sulking he is not the main man and playing centre forward or he has made his mind up he is off at the end of the season. Shame realy as we need a Tammy replacement for next season? The same 11 who finished should probably start at Brentford.

Something to dream about ... we keep Kalinic, Mings [fit], Tuanzebe [fit], McGinn, Grealish [fit], Abraham, El Ghazi [the Ajax version] and take it from there.

Well done for the last 10 minutes. The rest, totally shambolic with no ideas or effort. I don't usually like to single out players but Kodjia could not be bothered, Jedinak was awful, Hourihane was garbage and Taylor & Hutton still cannot defend. Although their second looked a foul on Kalinic and possibly offside, we showed again why we will not make the play offs and why Smith has a massive rebuilding job in the summer.

Something to dream about ... we keep Kalinic, Mings [fit], Tuanzebe [fit], McGinn, Grealish [fit], Abraham, El Ghazi [the Ajax version] and take it from there.

Shockingly depressing when you consider that we may well only have Kalinic out of those players next season. Can see bids coming in for Grealish and McGinn. The loan players...... who knows.

Hopefully tonight proves to be a turning point. Confidence is so important in any sport.
Regards DS, need to back him 100%. Only way we'll ever compete is giving an up&comer a chance. What's the alternative? More journeymen like Bruce?

For me I enjoyed the last 10 mins so much but the reality is we are no more than mid table. Connor horiane is a fake footballer along with the bearded wardrobe. Taylor and Hutton are just as poor. We will not become a proper team till all the dead wood has gone, half of that team tonight aren't worth piss.

Must have been watching a different match. I thought all the players put in a shift. Kodjia covered a lot of ground and tried to make things happen. Likewise Taylor and Hutton. These aren't Champions League players and probably not Premier League players, but they're certainly good enough for the Championship.

Nearly a new low for me that performance.
Saved by 10 mins of madness.

The central midfield of Jedi and Hourihane was as abject as I have seen in a long while .

Passive, slow, lethargic, no determination, no zip, content to pass and stand still, were not showing or having any desire to collect the ball and when they did they made ineffectual,easy, safe passes. They need to be sat down and made to watch a video of the Sheff United midfield tonight and told to speak to SJM for advice .
I could go on.....

Say what you like about the defence but with players like those two in such a crucial area we are a sitting duck.

Always enjoy reading through the thread on my return from the game but have to say again some of the posts during the game are, as JPA said.....just embarrassing. 'Smith is out of his depth' was a particular lowlight. He's been with us for the grand total of three months ffs. Yes, we were shite for 80 mins but key moments in the game were determined yet again by incompetent officials. We'd actually started the second half well but the second goal knocked the stuffing out of us....piss poor officiating yet again going against us. The comeback shows we have some character in the squad at least and I'm hoping it could be a turning point. Quick mention for Glenn Whelan....derided by many but did more in 20mins than Jedinak did in 70. Jedinak will not start another game for us after that showing tonight. Saw some posts suggesting we shouldn't celebrate a draw.....well I jumped around like a lunatic with my son when we equalised. Depths of despair after 82 mins, sheer ecstasy 13 minutes later. Couldn't give a stuff if we were poor for the most part, been to enough games over the years when we've been much better and still lost. Grateful for the point, loved the euphoria which went with it and hope it provides a kick start for the remainder of the season.

Always enjoy reading through the thread on my return from the game but have to say again some of the posts during the game are, as JPA said.....just embarrassing. 'Smith is out of his depth' was a particular lowlight. He's been with us for the grand total of three months ffs. Yes, we were shite for 80 mins but key moments in the game were determined yet again by incompetent officials. We'd actually started the second half well but the second goal knocked the stuffing out of us....piss poor officiating yet again going against us. The comeback shows we have some character in the squad at least and I'm hoping it could be a turning point. Quick mention for Glenn Whelan....derided by many but did more in 20mins than Jedinak did in 70. Jedinak will not start another game for us after that showing tonight. Saw some posts suggesting we shouldn't celebrate a draw.....well I jumped around like a lunatic with my son when we equalised. Depths of despair after 82 mins, sheer ecstasy 13 minutes later. Couldn't give a stuff if we were poor for the most part, been to enough games over the years when we've been much better and still lost. Grateful for the point, loved the euphoria which went with it and hope it provides a kick start for the remainder of the season.
great post and analysis from a fan at the game.
100% Agree. it feels like a win draw compared to the gutted WBA draw.
one we played awesome for a complete game against one we had a shocker but never gave up.
Just stopped a form team going top of the table with a 3 goal headstart plus a dodgy goal to rub salt in the woundand yet it still isn't good enough for a few.
Great result to keep the season going.

I sit in the North stand and knew immediately that Sharp had been offside for the 2nd but I was so busy moaning about that that the fact that he basically studs up kicked the ball out of the keepers hands somehow escaped me till I saw the replays. How the hell did neither the ref or linesman see that as a foul?