Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd - Match Thread - Friday 8th Feb, 7.45pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Sheffield Utd - Match Thread - Friday 8th Feb, 7.45pm

I would say, unless we get more clarity on Tuanzebe's potential future with us, Smith might err towards Chester/Mings when fully fit.

Chester's main form issue has come from playing wrong side with Tuanzebe, but given his age if Smith sticks to what I believe is more his form, if we get reasonable news Axel is available, he'll have an eye next year on Tuanzebe/Mings as a longer term solution.

Caveat he doesn't have other targets on an age front.

So are Elphick and Mings going to keep their places long term or is it a needs must situation right now?

I think Mings will as he is the only left sided defender we have and on Saturdays evidence he is comfortable on the ball which is what Smith wants. Elphick and Chester are less comfortable and I reckon if Tunzebe gets fit him and Mings will be the pairing. Until then it's Elphick or Chester.

I expect DS will stick with Mings and Elphick for now. Chester is struggling for whatever reason. May be Injury, playing wrong side or just plain old loss of form. Mings and Tuanzebe would be my dream championship centre back 2 if we owned them of course? If that was the case with Guilbert at RB next seasons defence would be nearly there?

Old Trin, Smith is on record as saying he's played through a knee problem (early Dec without checking) - but left-side hasn't helped obviously.

Cannot see Jack being back.

Bench at most and at a stretch.

Looking forward to seeing Fanihane and A. N Other poncing around passing sideways.

Incidentally. Never noticed this until I happen to watch tonight Fulhams goal in the play off final which was on sky tonight. Fanihane completely missed a tackle/on Ryan S allowing him to play the ball to Cairney. Weak.

Glad it's not just me exciting at the prospect of Tuanzebe and Mings. Honestly think they could form a formidable partnership.

@sirdennis - you forgot our other left-sided CB; the already forgotten Kourtney Hause.

Old Trin, Smith is on record as saying he's played through a knee problem (early Dec without checking) - but left-side hasn't helped obviously.

Mike, i knew that but just feel its an easy way out of explaining his quite noticable lack of form? It might also be the fact since Axel has been out both centre backs lack pace? I noticed Axels pace helping him out on more than one occasion before he was injured. In the modern game 2 centre backs lacking pace is asking for trouble. Its the reason we kept getting done by long balls over or on our centre backs. In an ideal world both will have pace and be comfortable on the ball, which brings us back to Mings and Tuanzebe.

I think Hause is the backup Smith wants to work with for longer and bring him on more if Mings (matching offer not buy) doesn't become an option moving forward.

I just like the fact we are building options, and plans for eventualities for the future (even if it's only in my head) rather than lurching for the current short-term favoured boost.

Cannot see Jack being back.

Bench at most and at a stretch.

Looking forward to seeing Fanihane and A. N Other poncing around passing sideways.

Incidentally. Never noticed this until I happen to watch tonight Fulhams goal in the play off final which was on sky tonight. Fanihane completely missed a tackle/on Ryan S allowing him to play the ball to Cairney. Weak.

Earlier in the season, some esteemed Vital Villans were trying to explain to me that it's acceptable to be a midfield player that can't/ doesn't tackle. Bollocks if you ask me.

I blame Genn Hoddle personally, the first I can recall that didn't like to get his shirt dirty :shake:

Mike, i knew that but just feel its an easy way out of explaining his quite noticable lack of form? It might also be the fact since Axel has been out both centre backs lack pace? I noticed Axels pace helping him out on more than one occasion before he was injured. In the modern game 2 centre backs lacking pace is asking for trouble. Its the reason we kept getting done by long balls over or one our centre backs. In an ideal world both will have pace and be comfortable on the ball, which brings us back to Mings and Tuanzebe.

Smith doesn't strike me as that condescending to fans - although granted his Bolasie words and Everton cocked him immediately back out on loan lol Also the option of he doesn't believe Chester is the future in his system BUT sensibly isn't talking him out of favour knowing he's a sellable asset.

I'm inclined the believe as Chester was noticeable poorer since Terry left, but really tailed off in recent months so I can see injury being a problem because we had no choice but to play him. But wrong side and lack of pace without Tuanzebe I agree is a noticeable thing and that is also where Chester was more noticed for his form.

I can see where your doubt comes from dude.

Bottom line, Tuanzebe and Mings aren't our players, neither is Hause. If Elphick settles into the role as I think he will do, then I can see him keeping it beyond this season. If we get promoted then I can see us going all out to keep Mings, maybe Tuanzebe but MU may want him back.

Meanwhile there's plenty of opportunity to see if the Elphick / Mings partnership will do the job.

As for this match, it's one of the high flyers, so 3-0 to us. None of drawing with the dregs.

Also the option of he doesn't believe Chester is the future in his system BUT sensibly isn't talking him out of favour knowing he's a sellable asset.

Re: Chester its a bit of a win win and one of the few players I think we really have options with at the moment. He doesnt quite fit into the overall vision but is a talented player at this level and a few clubs would give us our money back on him. Not bad considering he is starting to get a little older and has given good service over the years.

I feel we'll look radically different after the summer is over.

Earlier in the season, some esteemed Vital Villans were trying to explain to me that it's acceptable to be a midfield player that can't/ doesn't tackle. Bollocks if you ask me.

I blame Genn Hoddle personally, the first I can recall that didn't like to get his shirt dirty :shake:
Jeez, Why did you have to bring up Hoddle... :wagging:
The “midfielder” who kept Sir Dennis and/or Sid Cowans out of the England team for all those years... :arrghh::arrghh:

Elphick has always needed games to get into proper form.

If he ever had an injury it took half a dozen if not more games to get back up to speed.