Aston Villa v Sheff Utd Match Thread | Page 48 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Rather than giving smart arse comments about proving a point why don’t you read my post properly. And in particularly the second part of my post.

I could start by stating that by listing players from European title winning, Premier league winning , champions league level sides it is a poor comparison and that it is a heck of a lot easier for them to come into those sides rather than a side who has just spent 3 seasons in the championship and is in a relegation fight. Or that being at these clubs in the first place they are clearly a level above young Keinan and are surrounded by world class players and not Henri Lansbury and Jota.

But. If you go back and read my post I was discussing strikers and our striking situation and not defenders, midfielders and wingers which you have listed.

So as I was talking strikers I will pick the one striker you did list . Tammy Abraham Hardly a novice like Keinan. Having spent a full season smashing in goals for Bristol city he then spent a season in the premier league making 31 appearances for Swansea and then spent a season leading us to promotion smashing in goals. So yes it’s only 31 premier league starts but it’s also 48 goals in 78 championship games. Wow stats in my book. Keinan has nowhere near those goals or experiences to make a case to justify starting for us . But to be fair that is down to poor striker recruitment. Not his fault and your list proves nothing .

I will reiterate again for you. My beef is that somehow it has become acceptable in peoples books that in order to survive in the premier league we are having to look to a novice. And my beef is with crap buying policy.
I think there is a malaise since Weds that this is somehow a start to a new season and we have time to blood players and play ourselves in. We do not have time. We needed to hit the ground running I’m afraid. We didn’t .

Melon you are trying to argue with someone who thinks that we are likely to win our upcoming games vs Liverpool, Man U etc. because they'd be uninterested due to not having anything to play for. Won't be surprised if he says that Keinan will score a hat-trick against them for the same reason !

Last edited:
Melon you are trying to argue with someone who thinks that we are likely to win our upcoming games vs Liverpool, Man U etc. because they'd be uninterested due to not having anything to play for. Won't be surprised if he says that Keinan will score a hat-trick against them for the same reason !

Differing perspectives and levels of optimism create markedly different outlooks!

I’m a very optimistic and positive person about almost everything in other parts of life except for the Villa right now. I just can’t justify wildly optimistic predictions about how they will play or perform, based on the crap we’ve seen in the 28 games before lockdown. Nothing about the lockdown or the small sample on Weds has done much to change my mind - do what you’ve always done you’ll get what you’ve always got.

To my mind unless Dean has a radical change in outlook and approach, and the players suddenly start fighting and playing with greater tempo and intensity, we are very unlikely to drag ourselves out of the bottom 3 which deserve to be in I’m afraid.

If he doesn’t, then we’re going to need luck to survive. A lot of luck.

Differing perspectives and levels of optimism create markedly different outlooks!

I’m a very optimistic and positive person about almost everything in other parts of life except for the Villa right now. I just can’t justify wildly optimistic predictions about how they will play or perform, based on the crap we’ve seen in the 28 games before lockdown. Nothing about the lockdown or the small sample on Weds has done much to change my mind - do what you’ve always done you’ll get what you’ve always got.

To my mind unless Dean has a radical change in outlook and approach, and the players suddenly start fighting and playing with greater tempo and intensity, we are very unlikely to drag ourselves out of the bottom 3 which deserve to be in I’m afraid.

Fully agreed. I am all for being positive as long as views are realistic.

Yup, that sums me up also, very positive about most things, ultra positive in my own life and with my own challenges, when it comes to Villa, I don't believe myself a pessimist, just a realist. Have little to no faith in the team, the manager or anything going on right now to convince me we will stay up and if we do stay up and don't radically change things I have little to no faith that we are on the right course for any sort of success (whatever success actually means these days in this bloated league)

Rather than giving smart arse comments about proving a point why don’t you read my post properly. And in particularly the second part of my post.

I could start by stating that by listing players from European title winning, Premier league winning , champions league level sides it is a poor comparison and that it is a heck of a lot easier for them to come into those sides rather than a side who has just spent 3 seasons in the championship and is in a relegation fight. Or that being at these clubs in the first place they are clearly a level above young Keinan and are surrounded by world class players and not Henri Lansbury and Jota.

But. If you go back and read my post I was discussing strikers and our striking situation and not defenders, midfielders and wingers which you have listed.

So as I was talking strikers I will pick the one striker you did list . Tammy Abraham Hardly a novice like Keinan. Having spent a full season smashing in goals for Bristol city he then spent a season in the premier league making 31 appearances for Swansea and then spent a season leading us to promotion smashing in goals. So yes it’s only 31 premier league starts but it’s also 48 goals in 78 championship games. Wow stats in my book. Keinan has nowhere near those goals or experiences to make a case to justify starting for us . But to be fair that is down to poor striker recruitment. Not his fault and your list proves nothing .

I will reiterate again for you. My beef is that somehow it has become acceptable in peoples books that in order to survive in the premier league we are having to look to a novice. And my beef is with crap buying policy.
I think there is a malaise since Weds that this is somehow a start to a new season and we have time to blood players and play ourselves in. We do not have time. We needed to hit the ground running I’m afraid. We didn’t .

Ok, I can give you examples of young strikers with little to no premier league experience playing for bottom half of the table clubs instead if you want.

Connolly - Brighton: assist yesterday
Maupay - Brighton: goal yesterday
Obafemi - Southampton: assist yesterday

Do Arsenal count as a mid table club these days? If so Nketiah, Martinelli...

I agree that Jesus hasn't done well this season on the recruitment front and if it was up to me, I'd sack him. I think Smith would have gone for players like Maupay and Benrhama who were tried and tested in the English game to a greater extent than the likes of Wesley and Trezeguet. I can understand your frustration there.

But when it comes to Keinan Davis, I do not understand whatsoever why you have any kind of negative attitude towards him. Like I said, he started against Sheffield because of the player he is, not the player he will become, and he did a bloody good job. 22, 26, 32, if you can play like that you're good enough.