Aston Villa v Rotherham , Tuesday 18th September 19.45 kick off. | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Rotherham , Tuesday 18th September 19.45 kick off.

sirdennis

Alert Team
Must win game in my opinion

I would start with the side that finished on Saturday and give it the full bollocks.

Nyland

Hutton Axel Chester Taylor

Bolasie McGinn Hourihane

Grealish

Kodjia Abraham

I would tell Super Jack that he is to stay in the opposition half at all times and on no account drop deep to pick the ball up. He can play off the front 2 .

I'd start the match with;

Nyland.

Bree.
Chester.
Tuanzebe.
Hutton.

Whelan.

Hourihane.
Grealish.
McGinn.

Kodjia.
Abraham.

The midfield I'd have in a diamond shape, with Grealish at the point.

Changes could be made later if needed.

I'm beyond caring about formation at the moment. Just so long as we go out on the front foot and show some aggression. Even if we won this 10-0 I'd still want him out as surely even us at the moment can huff and puff our way past sodding Rotherham.

I'd like to see an attacking formation with two up top at home but Bruce has so little confidence in that leaky back four that his first instinct will be to make sure they're given maximum protection. Get a brick shithouse centre half in and a confident left back.

Bruce has a problem in that he's added to his problems in that he has even more players to pick from than before, when even that was a problem.

If Elmo plays, don't play him on the wing. Against Rotherham I'd go for:

Nyland
Elmo Chester Tuanzebe Hutton
El-Ghazi Grealish McGinn Adomah
Abraham Kodjia

Must win game in my opinion

I would start with the side that finished on Saturday and give it the full bollocks.

Nyland

Hutton Axel Chester Taylor

Bolasie McGinn Hourihane

Grealish

Kodjia Abraham

I would tell Super Jack that he is to stay in the opposition half at all times and on no account drop deep to pick the ball up. He can play off the front 2 .

Exactly the team I would play. There is an argument for El Ghazi but I would go with Bolassie then take him off when he tires. It’s shit or bust time folks. The bust will lead to goodbye Steve.

Agree with Sir Dennis' team apart from I would start El Ghazi and then look to give Bolasie half a hour. Totally agree re Grealish who has been hugely ineffectual for most of the season so far, although Bruce's tactics have not exactly helped. He needs to play much further forward to have a real influence.

90 minutes of fast, attacking football is a must against both an improved Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday.

Has to be a win.

And not some scratchy win either. A convincing win with decent football. Otherwise it could be ugly.

Did you read that Steve? I said 'decent' i don't demand Barcelona under Pep football , 'decent' will do . Not that hard is it , surely ? .

Players win games not tactics or systems.
The pitch is the same size it’s always been, use it all.
Bruce would play Withe on his own up front and Shaw on the bench.
Whst have the coaches done to a simple game.

Funnily enough i was speaking to an ex-pro yesterday, he was doing his coaching badges the other week and he said half of the stuff they spoke about was nonsense, just talking for the sake of it and over complicating everything.

And he played at pretty much top level for 16 years.

This obsession with one up top, is fine if you have a team with cohesive movement but the Villa do not have that at all.

In fact i have no idea what they do all week, we cannot even take a throw in.

Anyways could this be Bruce`s last game? I think it might be.

I've lost count how many times Kodjia has got Bruce out of jail since he has been at Villa Park with an individual goal so as Brucies hoofball never works (never stops him using it though) therefore he has to play Kodjia somewhere in the forward lineup as it gives us a better chance to win.

Should we lose, play badly etc against the mighty Rotherham then it will turn very nasty so I sincerely hope for his sake that doesn't happen as it's not nice to see or hear.

In an ideal world and for me anyway, this would be his last game (It should have been the Wembley bottle job) but it looks like the new owners are going to give him more chances than his negative football and ridiculous excuses deserves and even though it's clear to a blind person that he has got it wrong all over the pitch but worst of all - he never, ever learns his lesson and makes the same mistakes week in and week out.:shrug:

EDIT: I've just read this post back and I must sound like a whinging moaner when in fact I'm the complete opposite!

It must be what I will now call - The Bruce Effect.

Last edited:
Funnily enough i was speaking to an ex-pro yesterday, he was doing his coaching badges the other week and he said half of the stuff they spoke about was nonsense, just talking for the sake of it and over complicating everything.

And he played at pretty much top level for 16 years.

This obsession with one up top, is fine if you have a team with cohesive movement but the Villa do not have that at all.

In fact i have no idea what they do all week, we cannot even take a throw in.

Anyways could this be Bruce`s last game? I think it might be.

Our throw ins must be the worst of any team ever. 99% of the time we lose possession from them.

Our throw ins must be the worst of any team ever. 99% of the time we lose possession from them.

The only time I ever remember a throw in leading to a goal is the Milner goal vs Hull about 10 years ago when the keeper came way out the box whacked it out and sub Steve Sidwell quickly grabbed a spare ball, chucked it at our full back who gave it to milner to chip in.

We can talk about what players should play where and what formations we need to use, however, what matters most is the style of play. Longball football with the best midfielders and strikers in the league wont work ! Either Bruce decides it is time for him to evolve as a football manager and instructs the team to play attacking football like we did vs Brentford or he should be sacked. I personally would want the former, however unlikely that may seem !