Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O | Page 21 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O

Still a bit non plussed about last night to be honest, At 2-0 down you would be happy with a point but at 5-4 up with 10 minutes left against 10 men we really should have won.

I do think we are beating ourselves up over this though. Think we have to give credit to Forest. They are a good side. Dangerous and full of good players . They have only lost twice this season and had 3 clean sheets in a row before last night. Yes we were poor defensively but they still worked their goals well. It wasn't all down to our sloppiness.

And taking the whole game in consideration we didnt deserve to win in my opinion.
Neither did they. A draw was a fair result. They will be scratching their heads as much as us as to how they didn't win after leading the game 4 times away from home.

Sheff Utd away, Norwich away. Those are the games that have pissed me off this season. Not last night's.

Nyland getting an unfair amount of stick, again.
Having watched the goals again and again and again, I can honestly attribute one goal to Nyland, as a goalkeeping error. Forests fifth, there really is no possible excuse for a keeper to be beaten at his near post, especially from such an angle.
The other four goals he did nothing wrong, on another day, with a bit of luck, he would have saved their second and third goals by doing exactly what he did.
He was left hanging out to dry for their first goal. The fourth, Lolley's strike, I don't think there is a goalkeeper playing today who would have moved for it, the shot was a mover, dipping and swerving. It hit the back corner of the net because of the swerve and dip.
Goalkeeping isn’t all about what you’re doing in the moment. It’s also very much about organizing and communicating. Nyland is passive and weak both in word and deed. A top professional goalkeeper does not allow those types of goals to get scored if he’s communicating and being aggressive. If he does allow goals like Forest’s fourth to fly past him, then he’s dishing out an absolute bollocking to Hourihane and Grealish for standing and watching the guy take three touches forwards before shooting.
He’s simply not good enough (right now) and we can’t afford to wait for him to get better if we want to have a decent season.
At the very least, as a keeper you need an aggressive personality. It’s no coincidence that, going all the way back to Jimmy Rimmer, our best keepers have been unafraid to dish it out and been vocal... If Hourihane had been playing in front of Bosnich, James or Friedel he’d have been legitimately scared for his well being after that fourth goal....

Sorry but conceding 7 goals at home in 2 games is cause for massive concern. The keeper situation is farcical, the defence are like a chocolate fire guard. This is not promotion form.

Come on Silhill we may have conceded 7 goals but we have scored 9 and got 4 points including against a team who are probably the best we have faced this season so far , so you could also argue it is promotion form

Need to look at the positives as well ,

Sorry but conceding 7 goals at home in 2 games is cause for massive concern. The keeper situation is farcical, the defence are like a chocolate fire guard. This is not promotion form.

Depends which way you look at it Silhill, yes we've conceded 7 goals in two home games but picked up 4 points despite that because we're also scoring lots of goals. We've gained 10 points out of the last 12 which in my book is very much promotion form if it continues. Couldn't care less about conceding as long as we score more than or at least match the opposition in most games. So yes of course we all want the defence to be tighter but ultimately if we're gaining two points per game which we have done this week, who cares? If it continues it's going to be bloody entertaining that's for sure and that's something we haven't had for many a year!

we're Aston Villa we'll score more than you, we'll score more than you, we're Aston Villa we'll score more than yooouu !!

You say Chester was out of position for the first two goals but, I think it was the second goal, he was on the floor near the halfway line, having been put there by a missed tackle from one of his own players, Hourihane I think. How can he be blamed for that.
Correct about Hourihane but he was already in a last ditch tackle situation which went horribly wrong. I blamed them both for this one.

Correct about Hourihane but he was already in a last ditch tackle situation which went horribly wrong. I blamed them both for this one.

First goal Mcginn nodded the ball back to Hourihane who never got there and took Chester out with one of his half-hearted slide tackles they ran through and scored. Second goal Hourihane let the man he was jogging alongside run past him to score. 4th goal he was too slow shutting Lolley down and he scored but the Keeper never moved.
We a proper ball winning defensive mid we've have stopped at least two of those goals.. Chester has been told to play football which is not something he's good at hence him cocking up

Goalkeeping isn’t all about what you’re doing in the moment. It’s also very much about organizing and communicating. Nyland is passive and weak both in word and deed. A top professional goalkeeper does not allow those types of goals to get scored if he’s communicating and being aggressive. If he does allow goals like Forest’s fourth to fly past him, then he’s dishing out an absolute bollocking to Hourihane and Grealish for standing and watching the guy take three touches forwards before shooting.
He’s simply not good enough (right now) and we can’t afford to wait for him to get better if we want to have a decent season.
At the very least, as a keeper you need an aggressive personality. It’s no coincidence that, going all the way back to Jimmy Rimmer, our best keepers have been unafraid to dish it out and been vocal... If Hourihane had been playing in front of Bosnich, James or Friedel he’d have been legitimately scared for his well being after that fourth goal....
I was just reading that and thought Jimmy Rimmer! He would have beasted them. He'd never have got away with marking his area the way he used to though!

I've watched the highlights.
The only goal I could really fault the keeper on was the last one. I think I would have saved that myself. However, it cannot be easy playing behind guys who seemed to be saying "After you, Claude" every time Joe Lolly got the ball.

You don't think he should have saved the long range effort? He was stood in the centre of the goal. The ball went into the centre of the goal. He didn't even move.

So flat footed it's untrue.

You don't think he should have saved the long range effort? He was stood in the centre of the goal. The ball went into the centre of the goal. He didn't even move.

100% correct Deano. The player took a classic “set up touch” which is a goalkeeper’s indication to get on your toes and be easy to make a save....

Well that was entertaining to say the least, the fans got their moneys worth that's for sure, it's about time we saw good attacking football with an expectation that we might actually find the back of the net each time we attack, sadly this was balanced out by our dire defending, JT has got a job on his hands there, must do better, we also gave the ball away a bit too often which helped the opposition to set up their counter attacks, as for the goalie, I try my best to give them time to settle, especially when they are from a foreign league, but beaten at the near post is a no no in my book, that's a problem that must be addressed asap, for a team under a new manager who has yet to hit a transfer window, I really can't complain too much, I really like this guy, is he the Messiah or just a naughty boy? Time will tell

Forests fifth, there really is no possible excuse for a keeper to be beaten at his near post

Sorry, extremely pinickity of me, but this is a myth that is utter rubbish. Ask any pro keeper or someone working with keepers at that level and they'll tell you. To be fair, anyone who is a keeper and receiving decent coaching knows it. There was a good video explaining it a couple of months back on the Beeb if I recall correctly.

Perhaps although it seemed to me that it was swerving.

Sorry, extremely pinickity of me, but this is a myth that is utter rubbish. Ask any pro keeper or someone working with keepers at that level and they'll tell you. To be fair, anyone who is a keeper and receiving decent coaching knows it. There was a good video explaining it a couple of months back on the Beeb if I recall correctly.

Any keeper beaten at his near post, as Nyland was, is beaten because his position is wrong.
Nyland, for example, was at least one good step too far back and a half step too far to his right.
As a keeper the nearer you are to the one taking the shot, from an angle, the more of the goal you deny the shooter to aim at.
The closer to the bye-line the shooter is, the closer to the bye-line the keeper should be.
The further out the shooter, the closer the keeper should get to the shooter. That doesn't mean that the keeper should rush out and dive at the shooters feet in the hope of getting the ball but, should be far enough out to cut down the amount of space the shooter has to aim at.
The keeper shouldn't make the first move but, should stay on his feet and force the shooter to make a decision and then react.
Too many keepers nowadays make the first move, which makes it easier for the shooter to decide what to do. If they were to stand and concentrate on what the shooters shooting foot is doing, they stand a far better chance of making the save.

Wrong Deano, the ball swerved and dipped and hit the back of the net in the corner.
The way the ball reacted, it might possibly have brushed off, very slightly, some part of the player directly in front of Lolley.