Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O | Page 20 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O

I have to agree with this and we have McGinn with a left foot for set pieces. Perhaps it is time to bring Jedi back as holding midfield if he is fit. He is useful defending corners and a threat in the opposing box for our set pieces.

Is Barney fit? He also does a half decent job in the holding role.

Fair points in his post match interview from Smith that it’s not just down to the defence to defend. The midfield offered nothing to assist them, Hourihane in that role in front of the back doesn’t work. He’s not physical enough, doesn’t do enough with the ball. We can’t just find a place for him for his set pieces.

Agree AMS. Hourihane is not a defensive midfielder. He can pass sideways and make the easy safe passes but he doesn't show for the ball, he doesn't demand the ball from the centre backs and my 13 year old daughter tackles harder than him. And I don't think he is necessarily an attacking midfielder either. Two occasions where he has been asked to do that role in McGinn's absence (qpr and blues) he has been poor. The pattern I see with Hourihane is he drifts for a few games having little effect then comes up with a worldly free kick or an assist that buys him more time. Then repeat. And as you say AMS its not something we can really afford to have. I would be very surprised if Smith isn't hankering to get a Ryan Woods type player in or at the very least can't wait for BB to get fit.

Last night I would have put Whelan on at half time to plug the midfield gap. And I would definitely play Whelan on Saturday. Whelan did a job v Blues in my humble.

Agree AMS. Hourihane is not a defensive midfielder. He can pass sideways and make the easy safe passes but he doesn't show for the ball, he doesn't demand the ball from the centre backs and my 13 year old daughter tackles harder than him. And I don't think he is necessarily an attacking midfielder either. Two occasions where he has been asked to do that role in McGinn's absence (qpr and blues) he has been poor. The pattern I see with Hourihane is he drifts for a few games having little effect then comes up with a worldly free kick or an assist that buys him more time. Then repeat. And as you say AMS its not something we can really afford to have. I would be very surprised if Smith isn't hankering to get a Ryan Woods type player in or at the very least can't wait for BB to get fit.

Last night I would have put Whelan on at half time to plug the midfield gap. And I would definitely play Whelan on Saturday. Whelan did a job v Blues in my humble.

You saved me writing it again, I just wish Smith would wise up. Connor by name Conner by nature. He hides . If he was right footed he'd be called Westwood

another bore draw it was then huh? :grinning::grinning: think we need to sort that defence out. Nyland beaten at his near post for Grabben's equaliser - dreadfully inept. January we need a top keeper, another centre back (keep Chester and Axel focused) and left back, and if possible make Abrahams a permanent deal (well we can ask)

Saw that Chester has been slammed on twitter, with one guy saying he'd been superb for two years and rubbish all this season.
Maybe I can offer an explanation for that.

Have edited and front paged for 7.07pm tonight. Cheers!

Also added the opinion of that strange character Grape Horse or whatever he is called.

Finally managed to watch the goals....some great finishing by both teams. While I get the urge to slate individuals is strong on this site and agree that we require upgrades in certain positions, I saw two excellent attacking sides. You have to applaud Forest for the quality of their counterattacks - they would have unlocked many defences in the Championship.

Said earlier, this result was an anomaly. Every shot on target from Forest ended up in the back of the net. That won't happen again any time soon.....I hope lol

But lets not forget, we restricted Forest to 5 shots on target (only 8 in total) so the defence wasn't a complete shambles. The goalkeeper however.

But apart from the long shot the other 4 goals were caused by poor defending (and even that one was caused by not closing the player down in midfield) so whether we successfully restricted them to 5 shots or not the defence failed to stop 4 or 5 preventable goals which in my mind is a shambles

After looking at all the goals again today it looked at times as though they had about 13 men on the pitch at times when they broke into our half. Conor Hourihane really has to toughen up a bit. If you look at Lolly's 30 yard strike he should have thrown himself in front of him....but ends up half heartedly moving towards him and then turns his bloody back! Not good enough and needs to up his all round game rather than just being in the pitch to take the odd free kick or corner. He simply doesn't impose himself on the game for me wherever he plays and I often forget he's on the bloody pitch for large parts of the game! As for Nyland, at fault for Lolly's in my book. Should have got a hand at least on it and despite a slight deflection off Axel for the fifth, for me he really should be saving that. Pity because I thought he was starting to grow in confidence and look more assured and commanding against Derby and Blues. Judging by Smith's comments today, he'll be selected on Saturday.

Have looked through the goals again. Chester totally out of position for the first two with Hourihane also chasing shadows - which he did for most of the game. Axel at fault for two as well and Nyland for at least two. Solution for Middlesborough is Whelan for Hourihane and no other changes on the basis they've got something to prove and the replacements are no better.

Never been a 5-5 at Villa Park until last night, we witnessed history!

If these last two games have taught us anything, it’s that it’s gonna be anything but dull under Dean Smith!

Nyland getting an unfair amount of stick, again.
Having watched the goals again and again and again, I can honestly attribute one goal to Nyland, as a goalkeeping error. Forests fifth, there really is no possible excuse for a keeper to be beaten at his near post, especially from such an angle.
The other four goals he did nothing wrong, on another day, with a bit of luck, he would have saved their second and third goals by doing exactly what he did.
He was left hanging out to dry for their first goal. The fourth, Lolley's strike, I don't think there is a goalkeeper playing today who would have moved for it, the shot was a mover, dipping and swerving. It hit the back corner of the net because of the swerve and dip.

Have looked through the goals again. Chester totally out of position for the first two with Hourihane also chasing shadows - which he did for most of the game. Axel at fault for two as well and Nyland for at least two. Solution for Middlesborough is Whelan for Hourihane and no other changes on the basis they've got something to prove and the replacements are no better.

You say Chester was out of position for the first two goals but, I think it was the second goal, he was on the floor near the halfway line, having been put there by a missed tackle from one of his own players, Hourihane I think. How can he be blamed for that.