Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O | Page 17 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O

Chester is suffering. Maybe still injured but I think alot of the problems are being caused by the lack of availiblity of the player in the holding role showing for the ball and demanding it from the defenders.

Chester isn't the one that should be playing it out and setting us off. And it's here that I think we need the Ryan Woods type midfielder. And it's here that I say that Hourihane doesn't do that and doesn't do enough in that role . He doesn't show, he doesn't demand It, when he gets it he passes safely and it's sideways and doesn't set us going. He doesn't tackle well. I get his set pieces threat but I just am completely perplexed as to what he is doing in his all round play. He seems to drift for several games then will come up with something that keeps him in the side. Then the pattern is repeated. Its a conundrum .We have just scored 12 goals in three games and he has contributed to one of those (the free kick v Derby) if my memory is correct . Is this enough if he isn't doing the all round midfield stuff well enough. ?.

Half time today I would have taken him off and put Whelan on. We needed the ferry sized hole that was in the midfield for their first 3 goals plugged .

Saw that Chester has been slammed on twitter, with one guy saying he'd been superb for two years and rubbish all this season.
Maybe I can offer an explanation for that.
Chester is a rightsided centreback forced to play on the left side, with a young player as his partner.
This young player looks good with the ball at his feet but, his positional sense is more than a little short, meaning Chesters own game is off because he is playing on his wrong side.
Chester first had to play with Jedinak, who went missing a lot of the time, leaving Chester to try and cover for him, to the detriment of Chesters own game.
Chester has been carrying an injury for a few games that got exacerbated in the Wales international.
I'd suggest Chester be given a break from the criticism.
Excellent post. I agree that Chester is far from his best at
Well. For me I don't need to sleep on it and think about it too much

We didn't deserve to win that at all. 2-0 down, 3-2 down, 4-3 down. Forget the 10 men . That glosses over the reality that as a team we didn't do enough. Forwards did, wingers did. Defence and midfield didn't. If anyone should be scratching their heads over how they didn't win it should be Forest.

We know the problem . Its the same problem we had when Smith arrived and it won't go away until January. All thanks to the bizarre recruiting (or lack of) by Bruce regarding the defence.

Forest are by far the best away side I have seen at VP this season and are well in the mix for automatic in my opinion.

After 6 mins I would have taken a draw. After 56 mins I would have taken a draw. It was just a bizarre game, kind of bizarre atmosphere. Kind of expected after the rollercoaster on Sunday. In fact it was that bizarre it's almost pointless over analysing as a game like that won't come along for another 10 years. 5-5 and I'm not even sure I enjoyed it either!.
Bizarre.
Excellent post. As you imply, if Bruce had taken proper steps in the summer to replace Sam and JT things would be looking much rosier. Bruce lost his job because he failed to address these basic issues. He 'left us' with no spine to the team. He left us with the worst keeper I've seen in all my years supporting Villa and without a 'proper' centre half i.e one who enjoys heading/attacking the ball, and enjoys organising his fellow defenders. Basic necessities in the Championship but neither Chester nor Tuanzebe are natural defenders in this mould and they do not form a balanced partnership. Both need a strong man alongside them. But Chester has generally been excellent since he joined us. He has not suddenly become a bad player but has effectively been sold up the river by Bruce's failings anDeano has obviously realised that the ONLY form of defence with what he's inherited is attack. Let's just hope his bravery is rewarded and keeps us going and in touch until January when hopefully he can make a couple of signings ....the signings Bruce should have made perhaps.

A team in transition.....so much better to watch and be excited by than Bruceball. If we can out-score other teams during December, stay within touching distance of the top 6 and buy well in January, imagine what this team could achieve with a solid back four and a worthwhile keeper come the new year.
Shopping list would be 2xCBs, IxLB and a keeper that doesn't look like a rabbit in the headlights every time the opposition come anywhere near our box.
Thought Chester, for whatever reason (playing with an injury?) was poor tonight as was Taylor and Nyland terrible (again). Kodjia also not at it and should be benched for Boro....El Ghazi deserves to start after his cameo tonight.

After 4 hours of sleep and a car ride to work I still don't know how we didn't win that match. I'm also not sure how we didn't lose though to be honest.

Chester is suffering. Maybe still injured but I think alot of the problems are being caused by the lack of availiblity of the player in the holding role showing for the ball and demanding it from the defenders.

Chester isn't the one that should be playing it out and setting us off. And it's here that I think we need the Ryan Woods type midfielder. And it's here that I say that Hourihane doesn't do that and doesn't do enough in that role . He doesn't show, he doesn't demand It, when he gets it he passes safely and it's sideways and doesn't set us going. He doesn't tackle well. I get his set pieces threat but I just am completely perplexed as to what he is doing in his all round play. He seems to drift for several games then will come up with something that keeps him in the side. Then the pattern is repeated. Its a conundrum .We have just scored 12 goals in three games and he has contributed to one of those (the free kick v Derby) if my memory is correct . Is this enough if he isn't doing the all round midfield stuff well enough. ?.

Half time today I would have taken him off and put Whelan on. We needed the ferry sized hole that was in the midfield for their first 3 goals plugged .
Absolutely spot on MD. People hammer Whelan, but the one thing he doesn’t do, is hide or go missing. Without him in there tonight we had three central midfielders of a similar ilk, and none were looking for the ball. When Chester gave it away for the third goal he was attempting a pass to a forward because there was nobody looking for the ball in midfield.
What bothers me the most about the defence and goalkeeper is the lack of accountability amongst themselves. After that fourth goal, nobody was giving a bollocking to Hourihane or Grealish for failing to close the player down....
We need a goalkeeper and a centre back who are not afraid to dish out a bollocking when it’s merited....

One minute you've got a legend like Jimmy Rimmer in goal.... the next you've got this guy!!

Nyland.jpg

Nyland's a Hologram!
Nyland's a Hologram!
Nyland's a Hologram!
Nyland's a Hologram!

Worse than Enkleman and that's saying something.

Exciting but feel's like a defeat. How do you play so well and look so threatening and let in 5 goals from 5 shots on target?

If we had any other professional goalkeeper in nets last night we'd have won. It's that simple.

Dean Smith has to show his nuts now and make Nyland accountable. If he starts the next game it's disgusting.

Still over in Munich and was out sampling it's beer mainly last night. Checked my phone - 2-0 down. Then again 2-2. The people I was with thought it was hilarious. After many beers I found a Villa fan - unbelievable. We cried a little! Can't wait to see the highlights or should I avoid them?

We need snookers already. We are too far behind. I hold the people in charge for the summers mess responsible.

Fair points in his post match interview from Smith that it’s not just down to the defence to defend. The midfield offered nothing to assist them, Hourihane in that role in front of the back doesn’t work. He’s not physical enough, doesn’t do enough with the ball. We can’t just find a place for him for his set pieces.

Fair points in his post match interview from Smith that it’s not just down to the defence to defend. The midfield offered nothing to assist them, Hourihane in that role in front of the back doesn’t work. He’s not physical enough, doesn’t do enough with the ball. We can’t just find a place for him for his set pieces.

To be fair in the previous games he's played there against Derby and Bolton I thought he played the position very well and we didn't conceed a goal.

I do agree though, we need to attack as a team and defend as a team, but it's not just Houriahne, it's McGinn, Kodjia, Bloasie, Hutton.... they all need to take their defensive responsibilities more seriously.

But lets not forget, we restricted Forest to 5 shots on target (only 8 in total) so the defence wasn't a complete shambles. The goalkeeper however.

2 valuable points dropped. Looking at Norwich's fixtures in December this gap could easily widen further now.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with fixtures. As Steve Bruce says this is the nature of the Championship.... and its unpredicatable.

It's just as likely that we beat Middlsboro away and Norwich lose at home to Bolton

Well. For me I don't need to sleep on it and think about it too much

We didn't deserve to win that at all. 2-0 down, 3-2 down, 4-3 down. Forget the 10 men . That glosses over the reality that as a team we didn't do enough. Forwards did, wingers did. Defence and midfield didn't. If anyone should be scratching their heads over how they didn't win it should be Forest.

We know the problem . Its the same problem we had when Smith arrived and it won't go away until January. All thanks to the bizarre recruiting (or lack of) by Bruce regarding the defence.

Forest are by far the best away side I have seen at VP this season and are well in the mix for automatic in my opinion.

After 6 mins I would have taken a draw. After 56 mins I would have taken a draw. It was just a bizarre game, kind of bizarre atmosphere. Kind of expected after the rollercoaster on Sunday. In fact it was that bizarre it's almost pointless over analysing as a game like that won't come along for another 10 years. 5-5 and I'm not even sure I enjoyed it either!.
Bizarre.
Agree totally, forrest have been beaten only twice this season. Look at how we now have more of the ball in a game and can deliver quality into the box to hurt teams. We now have a system that keeps us in a game and even 2 behind you feel we can come back. If we can stay close to the play offs by the turn of the year we will be in them by the end of the season and will be enjoying watching us play.