Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O | Page 16 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O

yep can't be scoring 5 and just picking up a point.
keeper has been a liability since we plucked him from the german 2nd division - if Heaton is available it needs to get sorted.
Chester was poor but axel was weak on a couple of those goals.
I guess we're going to be open though with that midfield

still Forest had one of the best defences til tonight so 3 pts at boro and onwards and upwards

When I saw the starting 11 half of me thought it looked a great attacking line up and the other half thought we were going to get overrun in midfield. Both halves were proven correct. We were great in the attacking third but, yet again, we gifted the ball to an excellent counter attacking team and both the lightweight midfield with wide players who offer little defensive help and defence were made to look like idiots.

I know fans like their scapegoats but, Abraham apart, every player was defensively poor. We cannot keep giving the ball away around the half way line. Forest looked dangerous all the time on the counter (as did Blues) but both offered little threat otherwise. If we keep giving the ball away as we have done then we are not going to even get in the play offs.

I am looking for a huge improvement in the 4 games before Xmas. I think we need 7/8 points to keep in touch with the top 2.

The alternatives to Nyland are an untested Moreira, an untested Sarkic, or the disasterous Bunn.
Nylands confidence will be pretty much non-existent after tonight. Dropping him might just set that lack of confidence in concrete, meaning he might never recover.
Big decision for Smith. Let’s hope his decision is the right one.

I would like to see that last disallowed goal again
He was in an offside position when Elmohamady shot and then poked it in on the line so it was the right decision, unfortunately. If Abraham had left the ball the defender would have probably got to it but might not have been able to get it away from goal

That goalkeeper is really starting to get on my tits now. I understand that he can pull off the odd good save but so can bloody pub goalkeepers. He’s shit. Bizarre game, mind.
I wouldn’t even say he makes good saves, no more than you’d expect from a goalkeeper and that’s what they get paid to do.

Big decision for Smith. Let’s hope his decision is the right one.
Whoever the keeper is I don’t think they will be the first choice after the January window. If I was Dean Smith I’d be looking around other clubs for available goalkeepers now so we can get someone in as soon as the window opens.

Nyland will never be good enough so don’t care if his confidence “never recovers”, might be harsh on a personal level but on a professional level he should go back to the German lower leagues where we got him from because he just isn’t at the required standard

Well that was interesting. I can't remember a game like that in a long time. Certainly entertaining. Just think what a team we'd have with a defence behind it.
5 shots, 5 goals. How the hell did Grabban squeeze that one in at the near post?
I don't know whether to be thrilled or pissed off.

Well. For me I don't need to sleep on it and think about it too much

We didn't deserve to win that at all. 2-0 down, 3-2 down, 4-3 down. Forget the 10 men . That glosses over the reality that as a team we didn't do enough. Forwards did, wingers did. Defence and midfield didn't. If anyone should be scratching their heads over how they didn't win it should be Forest.

We know the problem . Its the same problem we had when Smith arrived and it won't go away until January. All thanks to the bizarre recruiting (or lack of) by Bruce regarding the defence.

Forest are by far the best away side I have seen at VP this season and are well in the mix for automatic in my opinion.

After 6 mins I would have taken a draw. After 56 mins I would have taken a draw. It was just a bizarre game, kind of bizarre atmosphere. Kind of expected after the rollercoaster on Sunday. In fact it was that bizarre it's almost pointless over analysing as a game like that won't come along for another 10 years. 5-5 and I'm not even sure I enjoyed it either!.
Bizarre.

Going forward we look so dangerous which is good to see at long last, but defensively we were Sunday league standard. Not one of our midfielders seem to be doing their job when Forest were on the counter. Chester has given the ball away more times in the last 2 matches than he did all of last season. I thought Mark Bunn was one of the poorest keepers I'd seen in a Villa shirt, but I'd be tempted to put him in on Saturday - Nyland is costing us goals far too often. He couldnt do much about their first 3 tonight but the last 2 were awful mistakes.
Grabban looked class again tonight - such a shame we didnt have the money to sign him permanently in the Summer

I think what we're seeing is what most people on here have said for a while: sort the defence and keeper out and we will fly. Tonight sort of showed that.

I enjoyed it. For a start, it wasn't a post-Wolves type of slump. We fought and fought right until the end. A game of extremes. But I'd take that any day over a Bruce-style bore-fest. Haven't the faintest how we'll do against boro, but if the players keep fighting like that it'll certainly be interesting. At no time when they scored did our heads go down. That's massive, after all we've been through.

Above all, after years and years of whimpering performances, we can finally say we've got the Villa spirit back.

Nyland certainly had an off night, seemed a lack of concentration. Their fourth goal he hardly moved for, yet it was the type of goal a good keeper should have a decent stab at. The fifth I think Axel got a slight touch, but he should have done better. Hope he improves, as he's probably still the best we've got. Steer may well be back in January.

A big plus. El Ghazi has had the Smith treatment. No longer a clumsy carthorse. He made a difference. He has quick feet, he's not phased by defenders, and that was a very good goal. Increases our options up front even further.

Think we have to continue in the Smith style. We may drop some points, but we'll collect a lot as well. Come January, with a few adjustments to the squad, we'll be a hell of a side.

Well l have just watch the best pantomime lm going to see this year. It's got to be worrying when your loaned player can score 4 goals. And your own players give two points away . But there again we are in the season to be giveing