Aston Villa v Newcastle Match Thread - Mon 25 Nov, 8pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle Match Thread - Mon 25 Nov, 8pm

Didn't Big Ron do that somewhere once? Sat in the wrong dugout. Or someone of his era did.

In his first game in charge of Forest. Went and sat in the arsenal dugout, much to the amusement of the arsenal subs.

Last edited:
Ha, yes, I remember this quote now.

"I just happened to look around and I'm stood with Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira, Nelson Vivas and I thought, 'how are we bottom of the league with these in the team?'

Very good.

Guess we had better get back on topic.

I am quite nervous for this game. Some are saying it isn't a must win, but a match like this, v a team who are just starting to pull away from where we are, at home, with an ex manager out to prove a point? Pretty much does need to be a win, especially if Watford have now woken up after their win - hopefully they haven't though!

I am quite nervous for this game. Some are saying it isn't a must win, but a match like this, v a team who are just starting to pull away from where we are, at home, with an ex manager out to prove a point? Pretty much does need to be a win, especially if Watford have now woken up after their win - hopefully they haven't though!

It isn't a must win but it is a must win!

It won't relegate us if don't win, but as you say, it's the kind of game where we really will be looking for 3 points, despite every game being tough etc. because we need to be beating those around us to have any chance.

We don't get points from good performances against the top sides.

It isn't a must win but it is a must win!

It won't relegate us if don't win, but as you say, it's the kind of game where we really will be looking for 3 points, despite every game being tough etc. because we need to be beating those around us to have any chance.

We don't get points from good performances against the top sides.

Agreed!!!!!!!

I know that the Wolves starting 11 was far from our best possible lineup, and being newly promoted we need our strongest 11 each week to even just have a good chance of finishing above 18th - however the Wolves defeat knocked the stuffing out of me a bit and now I feel nervous about Monday....

My thoughts on this one are that we for a change, needed the international break, but for Newcastle it came at the wrong time. They were on a roll and would have liked to carry on, we had our worse perfomance of the season to date and have hopefully sorted a few things out at BH.
I have gone for a 2-0 on the Erod predictor but like all games in this league its going to be a tough one.
Dont see it as a must win, they will come later in the season, its more of a be bloody lovely to win.
On a different note I hope Brucie gets a decent reception until the whistle blows.

I hope Bruce gets plenty of ‘sit down potato/head’. I think he’d expect nothing less.

I hope not. I was anti-Bruce very early on, but he did the best within his limited capability and went through a lot.

It’ll do no benefit for us just motivate the opposition. Get behind the Villa players as we’ve done all season (sitting down obviously).

Oh how I’ve changed :grinning:

This could be the game that kick starts our charge up the table or it could be the game that sets in the rot to relegation, in truth, it won't be either

I don't get this whole "It's not must win" and "It won't relegate us" chatter.

Of course it won't directly relegate us. A relegation will be a culmination of bad results.

This game though, anything but a win... would be a very bad result and certainly, come the end of the season, could very well be the difference between staying up or going down.

At the start of the season, if you picked a handful of sides that you wanted to be taking six points from... those would probably been Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton and Watford. Of course, those'd vary depending on who you thought was strong pre-season but Newcastle were certainly in 9/10 people's picks, let's face it.

All season so far, I've peddled the don't panic point of view, however a loss to Newcastle at home will be as bad as a result we can have this year... in my very humble opinion, of course.

It's not a Must Win, but it's definitely a must get 3 points.