Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread

Interesting thing I noticed last night and not sure if anybody else did, but Luiz and McGinn, primarily 1st half, dropping into Cash's and Targett's positions with them higher up the field when we were bringing the ball out from the back. No idea the reasoning behind this, maybe keep possession better or disrupt Citehs line's but it's intriguing and maybe just another example of Gerrard's tactical nous.
Whatever it is I'm extremely impressed by how he's got us playing so far.
I noticed it with Ramsey and McGinn at Palace also. When the centre-backs were on the ball, their closest option was the two midfielders hugging the touchline, with the full-backs pushed higher and slightly inside. I think it stretches the opposition better. The roles within the midfield are now more defined and it's why we're seeing the best out of Marv too in my humble opinion - clearly defined role to stay central and protect that area, which he is very good at.

#fakenews
Try that at Billesley Common and it hits a lump of turf and bounces harmlessly towards the corner flag, except between February and April where it gets stuck in a puddle.

And if you played on pitch 13 the chances were it would roll back past you down the hill.

Interesting that we now keep a player on the halfway line when we defend corners. They kept two back to mark him.
Everything has been said about our performance last night but it was noticeable that, although City are a fabulous footballing side, they aren’t adverse to flattening an opposition player early in the development of any dangerous attacking move.
Also their central defenders stayed well back when they were on the attack. The space this created for their midfielders was dangerous.

Probably been mentioned already - but a big shout out to Mr Nakamba again last night....thought he was very good again at beaking up play and nicking into challenges. His overall composure and passing have improved 10 fold....

Along with Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, and co...it shows what confidence and proper direction can do for a player - we really should try not to write anyone off.

Probably been mentioned already - but a big shout out to Mr Nakamba again last night....thought he was very good again at beaking up play and nicking into challenges. His overall composure and passing have improved 10 fold....

Along with Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, and co...it shows what confidence and proper direction can do for a player - we really should try not to write anyone off.

I haven't been Marv's biggest fan in the past but the way we're set up under Gerrard definitely plays to his strengths - his performances have been solid.
Mind you he still had me pulling my hair out when he passed straight to a City player 5 yards outside our own box

Yep hence McGinn chasing down Silva for that second goal, Targett nowhere to be seen and poor old Ezri playing on his own but yes it's the way Klopp plays and it works for them.
It's very noticeable what we are trying to do ie midfielders covering the fullback and not expecting 2 of the front 3 to do it. I like it
Two of the front three who are not known for their defensive work and couldn't tackle the skin off a rice pudding. And to take it a step further, if we do win the ball there's no outlet because the people who should be further up the pitch to receive the ball, are stood on the toes of the full back.

Jeez, surprised myself with that tactical nous. I'm quite proud of myself, give yourself a chocolate hob nob :cheers:

I suppose a teenage Villa fan views Leicester as a bigger club than Villa as they will have only seen Leicester as above us and Villa as a championship/ newly-promoted side.
I see people views are often era or age-related as to how we see things
I started supporting Villa in 1974-5 season in the old Div 2. I knew we were a bigger club than Leicester back then who were in the division above and also Derby who won the league. We came up with Manure that season and we all knew how big they were, even then. It still has a lot to do with stadium size and how full it is as well as history of the club. Admittedly our zenith was in the 19th Century and we've won very little since WWII, but we still have a star on our badge and the wonderful name of Aston Villa to fall back on.

The all time league is a pretty good indication of the big clubs 5th in the overall and still 9th if you only count the PL era.

you mean there was football before the 1990s wow Liverpool will be glad of that
I think it was known as "association football" back then, which as everyone from Sutton knows is a far superior product played by gentlemen in long shorts, woolen jumpers while smoking a pipe

WA4.gif