Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final March 1st | Page 17 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final March 1st

Wouldn’t surprise me if Smith plays Nyland and we regret it in the first 20 mins. It would sum up the season.

It’s impossible to say, Nyland could start and play a blinder, Reina might not start and only in a parallel universe would we know if he fucked up.

The closer I get to Sunday the more negative I get about the final.
Nyland has made more mistakes/ let in more soft goals than any keeper I've ever seen wear the shirt. I would not blame Smith for sticking with Reina who based on performances for us is several times the better keeper.

I'd go Nyland. Places have to be performance based and as a result I want to see as little representation from the team that played at the weekend as possible.

Based on his post-match comments from Saturday, I'd say we'll see some major changes to the side and possibly a return to a back four.

I'd go with:

Nyland
Elmo / Engels / Mings / Targett
Nakamba / Luiz
Trezeguet / Grealish / Hourihane
Samatta

Realistically, it's shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. But after Saturday's no show, I can see a change of approach.

I'm certain DS will play his strongest possible team regardless of which games they've played before, or how they played in the last debacle of a game. It is his only chance of keeping the score down. Sorry if this is pessimistic, but I'm expecting a repeat score from last years final.

I'm certain DS will play his strongest possible team regardless of which games they've played before, or how they played in the last debacle of a game. It is his only chance of keeping the score down. Sorry if this is pessimistic, but I'm expecting a repeat score from last years final.

I will take 1-1 and penalties like last year all day long.

Sorry have I got my years mixed up? I thought Watford got twatted 6-0? Must admit I didn't take much notice, obviously!

Oh OK, isn't it sad that football has devalued these competitions so much that I cannot even remember which cup is which! I can recall the 1979 final between Man U and Arsenal, but I cant remember last years final! Modern football is shit.

Because they get higher attendances which is probably the fairest way to do it. I do think though the FA should hold back 5% or 10% of the allocation to each club (roughly 3590-7000 total) and then reallocate base on the actual demand from each club

That would make sense but then doesn't explain why Fulham had more tickets than us for the play off final. Their average attendance is way below ours

Apologies if this has been asked before on this thread,who do you think should start in goal.nyland who has played every round and has been outstanding.or Reina who has vital cup final experience.:utv:

Why does everyone keep asking this? Deano already said after the Leicester game Nyland will continue to be our cup keeper. It doesn't mean Reina is dropped, he is still number 1 for the PL games. Or have I imagined this in my head!

Last edited:
Oh OK, isn't it sad that football has devalued these competitions so much that I cannot even remember which cup is which! I can recall the 1979 final between Man U and Arsenal, but I cant remember last years final! Modern football is shit.

It doesnt help the fact that the League Cup final is only on Sky now. Its only due to some government sports policy they cant do that with the FA Cup as well

Lets be brutally honest here , it is a bullshit competition anyway isn't it? Most teams don't take it seriously until the semi-final, and tbh I couldn't tell you who has won it since 1996. Don't get me wrong if we win it it I will be full of it, but in the grand scheme of things even the FA Cup is nonsense, clubs are either bothered about getting into, or staying in the Premier League, or getting into Europe. Apart from that nobody really cares anymore.

Why does everyone keep asking this? Deano already said after the Leicester game Nyland will continue to be our cup keeper. It doesn't mean Reina is dropped, he is still number 1 for the PL games. Or have I imagined this in my head!
I really hope your right but when push comes to shove and you get into a final things in a manager's head seems to change.more so when the fans are down you feel the need to prove something to them.

Lets be brutally honest here , it is a bullshit competition anyway isn't it? Most teams don't take it seriously until the semi-final, and tbh I couldn't tell you who has won it since 1996. Don't get me wrong if we win it it I will be full of it, but in the grand scheme of things even the FA Cup is nonsense, clubs are either bothered about getting into, or staying in the Premier League, or getting into Europe. Apart from that nobody really cares anymore.

Some of us do but you’re right, all devalued by the Champions League which keeps a few teams and their fans happy while the rest of us hang off their shirt tails trying to avoid relegation and with it the loss of 100m plus a year. To be fair, Pep likes to win this one just in case anything goes wrong in the bigger trophy hunt.
We have in our favour the fans - we will be louder and more passionate and that City are playing this evening and see that as more important and finally, we are so much the underdogs after our 1-6 that despite what Pep tells them, the players will feel half throttle will be enough. We have to give quadruple throttle to even get a kick but touch wood, 🤞and all that. Ali would have said we have two chances - slim and none and thats about it.
Nyland
Elmo, Mings, Konsa or Engels, Hause
Grealish, Douglas, Nakamba, Trez
Samatta Borja or hourihane

I'd like to see Vassilev back in the squad for this game. Even if he's given ten minutes it's a bit of experience in the big time and, for me, the kid did alright in the couple of times he featured in the league. Can't see that this Borjan is any improvement on him.

I think thats dementia Wurzel.

Based on his post-match comments from Saturday, I'd say we'll see some major changes to the side and possibly a return to a back four.

I'd go with:

Nyland
Elmo / Engels / Mings / Targett
Nakamba / Luiz
Trezeguet / Grealish / Hourihane
Samatta

Realistically, it's shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. But after Saturday's no show, I can see a change of approach.
There has to be a change of approach JPA bcause if we turn up with the same system or lack of one it wont matter who gets the shirt on Sunday we will get hammered.