Aston Villa v Liverpool - Sat 2nd Nov, 3pm - Match Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Liverpool - Sat 2nd Nov, 3pm - Match Thread

I thought our performance and energy levels were great. Liverpool probably had the best of possession but didn't do that much with it until the last 10 minutes. Take that energy into future games and we'll cause some upsets.
Disappointed to lose like that but encouraged by the effort.

Not sure we could have done any more today we had our best 11 out there and any subs were always going to weaken us, just a shame we never had Jack there to come on with 10 mins left and play keep the ball.
I'm sure one or two from today will be sitting on the bench come the end of January .

Thought the subs were right and well timed today. Not always felt that with Dean's substitutions, but today they made perfect sense.

Such a shame not to hang on, they had done all the darn hard work. But that is football and I hadn't expected to feel disappointed today, I'd expected to be roundly beaten by a squad of undoubted quality.

Got to use today to push on, first v Wolves and then v Newcastle, not make this a 'wasted' effort. It has given me hope for the season.

Immensely proud of the boys today, absolutely gutted at the outcome - totally undeserved after the effort they put in.

Echo the comments about Jon Moss, but we all know he is the worst referee in the country since Phil Dowd. So it was ok for Mané to commit four or five card-worthy fouls before finally getting booked (correctly) for diving.

How ironic that he set up the equaliser and scored the winner. That's how the big clubs roll though, along with their Fergie-time injury time - 5 minutes? Really? No VAR checks in the second half, no injury breaks (from memory) and even allowing 30 seconds per sub, that's only another 3 minutes.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards. let's hope for a better outcome at Molineux next time out :utv:

Rafa said it best the only way to take points from this Liverpool or City team is to be absolutely perfect in every way and even then you still need luck and the right decisions to go for you. We got a lot of those things but we werent perfect we made mistakes and they led to goals.

We're searching for things to be angry about but honestly sit down and ask yourself what can I actually be mad at. The only thing to be even slightly miffed about is the 5 minutes of injury time.

We didn't deserve to lose and we didnt deserve to win but I also dont feel hard done by. We did everything we possibly could have, I can't even be critical of Hourihane because I dont think he scores from that angle but I do think a true striker is giving Hourihane a better option rather than a square ball. Even as critical as I want to be of Wesley in general I dont know what else another striker would do. Balls out the back just kept coming back and most were aimless.

I think he has finite time left with the rest of the fans who are still willing to believe in him. For me gave away so many soft freekicks or just collapsed to the floor when it did come his way. We need a striker who is either clever enough to win those free kicks or hold it and turn.

I hoped to get a draw tbh...we nearly had one...all i can say is that i thought we'd lose about 4-1 tbh...the reason being i thought they'd have scored much earlier in the first half then you know they'd keep scoring...i knew we'd get 1...but that was a great performance keeping them at bay for so long and going 1-0 up for so long so the scoreline was to be expected and more by most of us Villa fans..
The future is bright...it's claret and blue..UTV

Gutted, so close to taking all 3 points against the European Champions but to end up with none is just gut wrenching. They gave it everything. Terrific first half, 3 other very good chances in addition to the goal. It was inevitable it was going to be a rearguard action second half but thought we defended very well on the whole and always carried a threat on the break. Thought Trez was excellent today as was Nakamba. Some of the vitriol by some on here today aimed at Wesley is bewildering. Some of his performances have warranted criticism but 39000 Villa fans who gave him such a great ovation when he came off, clearly saw something in his game today that those watching at home didn't. And a final word as usual for this week's incompetent ref...Jon Moss as inconsisistent as ever....can anyone tell me why he gave an advantage after McGinn's foul, let them shoot....then brought it back for the free kick which led to their goal...just bizarre refereeing and an argument that Mane should have had a second yellow in the second half....are we surprised? ..of course not! Feckin useless, the lot of them!

Regarding the Wesley comment here, Chris Waddle gave him a positive assessment on 5Live. Might be worth listening back on the game for some to hear an impartial view of our performance (but do stop at 85 mins!).

Regarding the Wesley comment here, Chris Waddle gave him a positive assessment on 5Live. Might be worth listening back on the game for some to hear an impartial view of our performance (but do stop at 85 mins!).
He was ok and to be fair to him in the second half he worked his arse off to close them down and put some pressure on their back line when they had the ball, but it’s so frustrating seeing a player of that physical stature being so lacklustre at winning the ball in the air or holding the ball up

One thing I was in disbelief over was the amount of times we played long goal kicks when we simply weren’t winning the ball. We lost possession on nearly every goal kick, no wonder they had 73% possession, not just about Wesley as it’s the failure to adapt which was alarming as it simply wasn’t working and the writing was on the wall for the entire second half - if you aren’t going to touch the ball you’re going to struggle to get a result.

Proud of the team out there today, just showed a real lack of quality in squad depth. Hourihane was absolutely dreadful when he came on, failed to finish a clear cut opportunity also failed to prevent a cross which led to a goal. Not good enough for a professional footballer that was fresher than 20 out there. Kodjia was just a waste of a substitution. We need six or seven good players to add to the squad in order to compete with the top ten, which is brilliant considering where we were 12 months ago.

Having seen Hourihane's chance on MotD, I think he makes the right decision. It would've had to been a fantastic deft chipped finish to score from what I saw.

Yep, the ball from Trezeguet had a fraction too much on it and gave Alisson a sniff, so the best CH could do was square it. Unfortunately, his pass wasn't good enough and was cleared.

Trez should probably have backed himself in the first place.

Thd two goals were given away. Terrible marking from El ghazi and Kodjjia from the crosses and no one on the posts for a last fling corner? Once again we ran out of steam around the 70 minute mark. On the positive side I got the prediction right so unlike villa I'm safely in midtable in the prediction league.

Having seen Hourihane's chance on MotD, I think he makes the right decision. It would've had to been a fantastic deft chipped finish to score from what I saw.

Yeah unfortunately Trezeguets ball to Conor was a yard or two too far in front of him. The keeper would probably have smothered any shot. I’m guessing all the people saying he bottled it didn’t have great views of it.