Aston Villa v Liverpool - Sat 2nd Nov, 3pm - Match Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Liverpool - Sat 2nd Nov, 3pm - Match Thread

we as a team need to play for the whole 90 + mins because its costing up far too many points we need to go back to when it was villa scoring the time added on goals i still thin we give the ball away far too easy they need to play the simple pass and keep it moving and stop trying to play out from the back

Easy to say now with hindsight but maybe when wes came off we could have put on a defender like konza instead of putting on kodjia? No shame in trying to hold out for a victory with 5 mins to go? Might have meant a spare defender on the line, or a defender marking mane instead of hourihane? Ah but these are all easy for me to say after the event. As i keep saying, it's the hope that gets me every time ....

I take some heart from this display. When Dean Smith took over last October we were in disarray and it took some time to get everyone playing in his way and we then built some momentum.
He had to start with a 'new' team in the summer and again it has taken some time to get the players to adapt. We are seeing the shoots of revival - Nakamba yesterday was MotM by miles and this against the best team in Europe and the PL. Trez is starting to look the part and Targett and Guilbert are now providing additional width. Mings and Engels look solid. We all know about Grealish and McGinn, so we have lots of reasons to be positive. El Ghazi, Luis and Wesley need more consistency and we all know that and I am sure DS does too. The bench does have some issues and another midfielder and striker are required in January and if we get those we will challenge further up the table.
If we can repeat these kinds of performance and cut out the silly mistakes, we will certainly make a fist of games of those around us and put the frighteners on the top teams too. I watched what I could of Burnley and West Ham on the highlights and if we were playing them now rather than earlier in the season we would be beating them.
The revitalisation of our great club continues.

Having seen Hourihane's chance on MotD, I think he makes the right decision. It would've had to been a fantastic deft chipped finish to score from what I saw.
I think you have to give the keeper a lot of credit, he was off his line very quick and closed the chance right down. The pass inside was definatley right, if he had took the shot and had it saved he would be getting it in the neck for being selfish.

I watched MOTD last night and I moaned about the VAR in my last post on this thread but it helped us out too yesterday with the Firmino goal ruled out. The offside thing with VAR is utterly ridiculous, just like hourihane the other week how can his arm be classed as being offside? Surely like the whole ball being over the line for goals then it should be the whole body with offside too, just utterly ridiculous.

Last time we played Liverpool at home Klopp had some nice things to say about us and he did again yesterday after the game, shame he has to manage them because I like him. I’ve no problem with him or the team but I still don’t want them to win the league because you’ll never hear the end of it.

Them are the rules. If any part of a body is offside then it's offside. Simple, easy to understand, easy to enforce (through VAR). Whatever the rules are, there will always be decisions where a few centimetres are critical.

Don't think we should dwell on losing in the last few minutes too much. Don't think it's a major issue with our side. This was a far better performance than the one against Spurs, which had a similar ending.

It's possible to argue we could have done better for the goals. But maybe that's wishful thinking. They were both brilliant goals.

I know I'm an old codgers but why no men on the post from corners? Simple clearance with that winner.
It's a mystery. We're not the only team that doesn't put players on the posts. It seems like the modern trend of putting two players out at the ball to defend the short corner has led to some coaches deciding that the players on the posts are the one's that should be sacrificed. I don't agree with it, never will. The number of goals that are scored from corners that could be stopped by players on the posts is scary.

It's a mystery. We're not the only team that doesn't put players on the posts. It seems like the modern trend of putting two players out at the ball to defend the short corner has led to some coaches deciding that the players on the posts are the one's that should be sacrificed. I don't agree with it, never will. The number of goals that are scored from corners that could be stopped by players on the posts is scary.
Totally agree. I'm all for players being responsible for man marking opposition players at corners and shutting the side door with players on the posts. The KISS system for me. (Keep It Simple Stupid.).

Never understood as well why we pull everyone back at corners, again we are not the only ones, because when we clear it always hands possession back to the opposition. Of course it also allows the opposing team to leave only 1 or 2 defenders back. It seems madness to me but I'm sure there is a theory behind it.

I watched MOTD last night and I moaned about the VAR in my last post on this thread but it helped us out too yesterday with the Firmino goal ruled out. The offside thing with VAR is utterly ridiculous, just like hourihane the other week how can his arm be classed as being offside? Surely like the whole ball being over the line for goals then it should be the whole body with offside too, just utterly ridiculous.

Last time we played Liverpool at home Klopp had some nice things to say about us and he did again yesterday after the game, shame he has to manage them because I like him. I’ve no problem with him or the team but I still don’t want them to win the league because you’ll never hear the end of it.
Agree with all you say 38. The European Referee Ass said two weeks ago that Premier League are using VAR wrong re the offside adjudication and it should only rule out a goal when there is clear daylight.
If we had had the first half Liverpool goal ruled out I would, along with the rest of Villa Park, been furious.
I detest VAR, I dont care if it gives us goals or stops goals, I hate it with a passion.
The sponaneity of the goal celebration, the greatest moment in football is gone.

Made the bad mistake of going to the comments section in the mail to see what their fans had to say. What a bunch of morons.
That would be all those Liverpool fans born at least 100 miles from Liverpool and with no ties to the area I guess?

Low self èsteem. It's why they support clubs like Liverpool, it's the only time they feel like they maybe winning in life

Agree with all you say 38. The European Referee Ass said two weeks ago that Premier League are using VAR wrong re the offside adjudication and it should only rule out a goal when there is clear daylight.
If we had had the first half Liverpool goal ruled out I would, along with the rest of Villa Park, been furious.
I detest VAR, I dont care if it gives us goals or stops goals, I hate it with a passion.
The sponaneity of the goal celebration, the greatest moment in football is gone.

I too don’t care if it helps or hinders us, I was moaning about it when we were 1-0 up at half time. I want it gone but the FA are absolutely going to persist with it rather than admit they’ve ballsed up and get rid of it. Can’t stand the idea of the ref being overruled by someone in his ear, he should be the person who has the final word not someone miles away. Might as well do away with those screens too as they never use them, not sure why they do abroad but not here.

If they are going to use it, it should be used only for decisions that cannot be interpreted wrong. That is offside and hand ball? It will ruin the game if they dont sort it quickly so everyone knows where the stand. How we have got to a situation where a ref 100 miles away can over rule a ref 10 yards away is beyond me? Especially when the are just matters of opinion?

It’s not a team mentality costing us in the last minutes of games it’s individuals not concentrating & doing the simple things.
I like El Ghazi but he constantly switches off & doesn’t track his runner. Yesterday it cost us a win as it completely changed the momentum of the game.

VAR can be a good thing IF it's used the right way,over in the states you see the ref going over to the monitor to take a look for himself and make his own mind up.yesterday with Liverpool as with wolves was a complete and utter farce now 40.000+ will sit there after each goal waiting thinking do we jump up and down or wait what seems like a lifetime.