Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky

Luiz is never going to stop cynically fouling players he thinks are heading into a dangerous area. Its ingrained in South American football culture. He'd happily take a booking and a free kick if he thinks it stops a greater danger.

The rest of the midfield was so gash that Luiz was put into those positions that he ended up giving the fouls.

Admittedly nobody played well against Brighton, but I wouldn't single out Luiz (or McGinn) as they were outnumbered for the entire 90 minutes and chasing shadows. Hence why so many times they were caught wrong-side and having to foul people. Brighton played with 3 in the middle and Barkley did the sum total of f**l all to track or even attempt to take up space. With Barkley the way he has been, and Traore still not doing his defensive work properly it's like playing with 9 men when we don't have the ball....

Oh I'm not singling him out. I like him. Just answering the point about the fould he gives away.

As for McGinn I think he's been our best midfielder last few games so not sure why people are having a pop at him

As for McGinn I think he's been our best midfielder last few games so not sure why people are having a pop at him

Best at passing to the opposition though I’m afraid. But for me that still puts him more useful than Barkley who doesn’t really pass to anyone. John’s long passing can be exceptional but his short passing is often disastrous, just not comfortable at all. That’s why I’d put Sanson next to Luiz and play John further forward. I have a feeling though that Dean will return the formula that he played against Arsenal, Nakamba for Luiz, the easy option and apart from Elmo no other changes.

I think someone made a great point in the Brighton match thread (sorry can't remember who) but I think we need to start mixing it up a bit in terms of Jacks position.

Everyone knows we play him on the left now so they stick 2 right backs on him.... so if we were swapping him from left, right, centre it would keep teams guessing and make it harder to plan for him. No point picking 2 right backs if he plays no.10 or Right wing.

He's good enough to cause damage from everywhere so we need to be clever and keep the opposition guessing.

I'd play him no.10 on Sunday and bring Ghazi back in. I know he was gash in his last game, but he was great in December... he has it in him and is always a goal threat.

I think someone made a great point in the Brighton match thread (sorry can't remember who) but I think we need to start mixing it up a bit in terms of Jacks position.

Everyone knows we play him on the left now so they stick 2 right backs on him.... so if we were swapping him from left, right, centre it would keep teams guessing and make it harder to plan for him. No point picking 2 right backs if he plays no.10 or Right wing.

He's good enough to cause damage from everywhere so we need to be clever and keep the opposition guessing.

I'd play him no.10 on Sunday and bring Ghazi back in. I know he was gash in his last game, but he was great in December... he has it in him and is always a goal threat.

Either that or make him switch between wings regularly during the game. But the key to that being effective is that the others should take advantage of the confusion he will be creating among the opponent’s defence.

Either that or make him switch between wings regularly during the game. But the key to that being effective is that the others should take advantage of the confusion he will be creating among the opponent’s defence.

:agree:
Great players are allowed free reign. Jack is turning into a predictable winger...He needs to move about and find where the weaknesses are.!

Rather than individuals playing badly causing the breakdown of our previously free flowing game, then perhaps we’ve just been sussed out. The supply line is broken and players like Traore or Ghazi will look poor and Watkins starved of ball. Barkley and McGinn being fairly immobile are more easily snuffed out than Jack if pressured on the ball. Most teams can do this to us now and keep the ball well enough as Brighton did. We are one dimensional in that sense, come in Dean or the man lauded by some as maestro, Craig. Paradoxically, better teams may give us more chance to counter as they assume they have superior armouries, worry less about us and have a more offensive game plan but we can expect these to take action against Jack now as well. Barkley and McGinn are both too static to find a solution so one has to go for a more fluent passer of the ball looking for one-two’s out of defence and into attack etc. I’m hoping Sanson can do that and link in with Luiz.

Rather than individuals playing badly causing the breakdown of our previously free flowing game, then perhaps we’ve just been sussed out. The supply line is broken and players like Traore or Ghazi will look poor and Watkins starved of ball. Barkley and McGinn being fairly immobile are more easily snuffed out than Jack if pressured on the ball. Most teams can do this to us now and keep the ball well enough as Brighton did. We are one dimensional in that sense, come in Dean or the man lauded by some as maestro, Craig. Paradoxically, better teams may give us more chance to counter as they assume they have superior armouries, worry less about us and have a more offensive game plan but we can expect these to take action against Jack now as well. Barkley and McGinn are both too static to find a solution so one has to go for a more fluent passer of the ball looking for one-two’s out of defence and into attack etc. I’m hoping Sanson can do that and link in with Luiz.

In addition to the above, you may also add that we do not have a right side, so all that teams need to do is stop Jack on the left.

:agree:
Great players are allowed free reign. Jack is turning into a predictable winger...He needs to move about and find where the weaknesses are.!

I'm calling for Davis and Watkins upfront as split strikers if we are struggling against Leicester. They won't be prepared for it and Davis will occupy another defender leaving space for Grealish. Tactically we've been figured out, time for something different.

If we could find a way of delaying the pass to Jack until he’s on the edge of their area they can foul him all they want. We could get a load of free kicks and penalties.

They're a bloody hard team to beat, and one that we need to be wary of especially when we're lacking in form, although they are missing several players.

I'd go 4,3,3/4,5,1 defending

---------------------Watkins-------------------
El Ghazi-------------------------------Grealish
-------------Sanson--------McGinn-----------
----------------------Luiz----------------------
Targett----------------------------------Cash
-------------Mings---------Konsa------------
--------------------Martinez-----------------

Need to mix it up a little, Give El Ghazi and Grealish the freedom to switch when they think they're not getting success, I'd be getting Grealish to whip in some killer balls, run at the defense and look for McGinn and Sanson's runs into the box with AEG being at the back post.

I believe Sanson and McGinn can play together, both box to box players and should make us a little more resilient, Sanson has been playing as a CAM position for Marseilles so I wouldn't use McGinn over him to play that role, especially when McGinn has been asked to do that role not long ago and looked pretty lost tbh, Luiz at the back to mop things up/spray it wide and if he wants to go on a surging run, one of them offers support and the other drops back.

I'd love to stick Nakamba in there but I think Sanson deserves at least one game to have a look at him, and I think it's too early to try them both together so Luiz and McGinn keep their places for now.

That's not a bad team, it's important to win the battle in the middle and I think having Nakamba, Barkley and Traore on the bench gives us options, and if Watkins gets crocked at least Traore will be fresh to replace him.

Who knows, Deano needs to make a change whatever it is and I wouldn't be giving Barkley another chance to start, I would be telling him to win his position back when he's bought on with half an hour left.

Also depending if we need to switch it up all we need to do is put Sanson more forward and drop McGinn back with Luiz and straight away it's a 4,2,3,1 again.

Nice position to be in as I've read back through this thread and we are discussing our formation and ignoring how good Leicester have been this season.
Last season we'd all be worried about Leicester but now we are worried about our own team selections bloody good times lads, we fear nobody